So... I might have screwed up my binding mount a bit

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

So... I might have screwed up my binding mount a bit

Post by Telecat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:12 am

so the past few nights I've been working on mounting my new skis. I have no idea how I screwed this up. I measured, and re-measured, and measured again. Drew up all sorts of lines on the skis to keep everything straight. And this is my 5th pair of skis I've mounted at home, plus I'm fairly handy, ive neber had much issue before.

I drilled the holes and even measured those after drilling and they were spot on.

So I screw in the telebry plates and as the screw is tightened into the screw holding cone things in the binding, the binding is pulled to the left!

Im not sure why this happened maybe my drill didn't go in perfectly straight? Idk.

Anyway, so the front of the release plate is pointing about 3mm to the left instead of dead straight.

With the bindings attached and boots put in, it is much less noticeable.

From some posts I've read across other internet forums it seems like people think it won't make a massive difference, and my legs and muscle memory will simply adapt to the few millimeters.

I guess my only worry is an increased risk of catching an edge on that left side.

Anyway I can post pics later. I'd REALLY rather not have to go through the whole mounting process again. I hate mounting skis. I really wish there was a shop near by that would do it for me, but I think the closest shop that will touch tele bindings is 3-4 hours away either in lake placid or Vermont.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: So... I might have screwed up my binding mount a bit

Post by Woodserson » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:47 am

Tough.

This happens with me and NNN-BC bindings sometimes. I even have a jig. A screw wander just a bit to the left or right and it's all over. I developed a technique to make sure everything stays in place but I still sweat it.

Does the telebry plate have 4 screws or three?

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:49 am

Its just a 3 hole. Pretty sure its the standard nordic norm

stec06

Post by stec06 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:02 pm

I did this last season with some 22 Designs bindings. Everything looked straight and normal, but I could clearly see one boot heel was slightly to the left. If you use inserts, back out the machine screws you use to mount the bindings, re-align, tighten down a couple, make sure it's still aligned, then tighten the rest. It works sometimes. I think one of my bindings is still a smidge to the left, but I honestly don't notice it at all when out on the hill. Not worth re-drilling IMO.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:23 pm

So I guess the decision here comes down to whether or not I should just wait and attempt to ski it before I make a decision. Or if you guys think its so bad that there's no way its skiable and needs recounting

I took pics below. You can see intended placement with my original guidelines i drew.
20200913_230837.jpg
20200913_230641.jpg
20200913_230627.jpg
20200913_230550.jpg
20200913_230534.jpg
20200913_230525.jpg
20200913_230245.jpg

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:08 am

Alignment doesn't look too bad in the pics; though you might show how it looks with the boot mounted (see where the heel ends up). Might be worth giving it a try as is.
If you decide to straighten it, whether now or later, I see two options: you can remount both bindings either 1cm (or more) forward or behind the current holes. I'd fill the holes with wood plugs and good glue.
Or, you can try to re-align the binding in question.I'll save the full description of that if you decide to go that way, but it will involve pulling the binding. If the front hole is centered, you'd need to fill one or both of the rear holes, and gluing in wood plugs. This is assuming a wood core. With a good core, you can re-drill, even overlapping the plugs.

As far as messing up, it happens... a lot. I mounted freeheel skis for a couple decades as a tech, and I still mess up on occasion, as does/did every shop, and every tech, I've known. You've got a little time to think on it, let us know if you want to go with a re-mount.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:49 am

Hmm okay, yeah when I take a step back its not as noticeable, and with the bindings and boots attached its barely noticeable. Ill take more pictures later. I haven't mounted the heel pieces yet, but that's the easy part

I assumed if I had to remount, id move the binding 1cm back. Im not sure id trust a filled and re-drilled binding hole. Also with skis being made with super light wood corew, are they strong enough to do this?

Im thinking ill probably see how they ski before doing more work on them.