Favorite daypack for half-day trips?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
NordicWilly

Favorite daypack for half-day trips?

Post by NordicWilly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:43 pm

Last winter I made a wrong turn that morphed a 2 hour trip into a 4 hour one. The silver lining was that I made a resolution to improve not only my crappy navigation skills (& tools), but also my level of preparation for the unexpected when skiing an unfamiliar area. The weather started to turn nasty very quickly that day and I remember thinking how I should have packed more layers, food, water, etc.

To that end, what do you recommend for a daypack for shorter, half-day trips, say 2-5 hours? There are an overwhelming number of choices out there, but many of the daypacks seem better suited for summer hiking with no insulation for hydration and lack of weatherproofing. Also need one that won’t bounce around when K&G.

* Which items do you consider essential for a half-day tour? Have you expanded your list over the years? Which items have you added?
* What size daypack? Assume no avy geared required. My initial thought was 10L at low end up to 22 L
* Do you use a built-in hydration pack? Or old school water bottles?
* Do you prefer the traditional daypack style or more modern fastpack/runner’s vest style?

Here are a few winter daypacks that I came across in my research, some pricier than others:

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/ka ... BER22.html

https://www.uswe-sports.com/nordic-10-w ... -bladder-1

https://www.dakine.com/collections/snow ... l-backpack

https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0106 ... 590affbe17

Vest style:
https://www.salomon.com/en-int/shop-int ... olor=57786

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: Favorite daypack for half-day trips?

Post by Danylewich » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:13 pm

Ultimate Direction packs/vests, any of them. For skiing I like the Fastpack 15. Yeti double walled stainless water bottles of cold, sometimes running bottles in the vest front pockets if not too cold. Love having the vest style with various utility pockets on the front shoulder straps.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm

Many thanks @Danylewich. Looks like ideal size. I am warming up to that vest-style.

Here is link for reference:
https://ultimatedirection.com/fastpack-15/

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:32 pm

I see plenty of backcountry XC skiers with running-type vests and vest/packs these days. I wore a ski patrol vest for 20 years and found it a pretty comfortable way to carry small loads of essentials for a ski tour. I do think you'd be better with a camelback type water arrangement rather than a couple of uninsulated water bottles hanging on the shoulder straps, esp. since they're more likely to freeze up after a couple of hours of Colorado December / January ski touring.
I know you're aware of these things, but on my list, it's the usual--take a real map and a real compass, a headlamp, adequate food, water, adequate extra clothing and of course a way to make a fire, in your pack. About the map, I can't tell you how many times I've spoken with skiers that brought only the maps on their phone that died in the cold or of course depended on cell reception that did not exist. SPOT units are common but are expensive...
I could go on with a long list of stuff to carry, but having good navigation skills and situational awareness is the key. You'll carry too much if you buy a big pack, so put all your stuff in a sack, take it to someplace that sells ski packs and see if it all fits.
Fwiw, if I'm at an XC center with groomed trails for a day I take a vest or fanny pack...in the backcountry I usually go out expecting a full day--and take a rucksack. Right now I'm using a Deuter Rise Lite 28, and am very pleased with it-- it skis well, packs well and is very light for the size.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:08 pm

If I'm going for a long day in the woods, I have a Black Diamond Speed 30. I've removed the brain, so it's less than 30liters, and I've removed the aluminum/plastic frame and now it's a rucksack. Works great, light, a big hole to throw in all my stuff with a roll top. It's streamlined-- so my arms don't hit it when I'm putting down the miles on a serious K&G. Works well in many applications.

Just a nalgene or two in an insulated sleeve, maybe a thermos if it's really cold. Vodka, or schnapps of course, for courage.

What I need is a thing for half-days at a groomed area to hold my waxes and maybe an energy bar and some water, I've been stuffing them in my pockets, that's gotta stop! I'm thinking of a cheap fanny pack or something. $30 range. I used to have a tricked out Mountainsmith but it got stolen on opening day at Killington in the fall of 1998. If anyone knows about the thereabouts of my pack, let me know!

Here's the Black Diamond Speed 30
DSC_2976.jpg
Last edited by Woodserson on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:14 pm

oops just realized this was for "half-day" trips

sorry

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 am

I use these bags for skiing in unpredictable weather and summit scrambles and/or mixed rock/ice climbing. They are dry bags that are slightly heavier but don't scuff up easily, great for half to full days.

Outdoor Research Dry Payload Pack (32L)
Outdoor Research Dry Summit Light Pack (25L)

also, 16L Dakine photo bag (take out the photo compartment)...its simple and awesome.

I rarely use hydration bags. 1L nalgene and a small USB steripen.

or for serious work, the Mammut Trion Pro 50L+7
(they have a 35L version too). It's great if you need to A-frame and bootpack, have loops for ice axes and compartment for avy gear.

depends on how involved the route is going to be. most days, I just use a 20L arcteryx backpack. 20L allows for 1 extra layer like a thin shell or puffy depending on the season. I'm so used to carrying a pack that 20L is pretty standard.

just make sure you have room for cold beer
FB_IMG_1601441352011.jpg

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:22 pm

NordicWilly wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 pm
Many thanks @Danylewich. Looks like ideal size. I am warming up to that vest-style.

Here is link for reference:
https://ultimatedirection.com/fastpack-15/
I have this exact pack for running commutes. It's pretty snug and stable on the back also while running. I haven't skied with it yet but i imagine it would be great too. The back pad isn't really ventilated though, perhaps the only downside for skiing. For me the size would be enough for half days. I'm not a fan of drinking bladders or camelbaks and prefer drinking bottles. I fit a bottle on the front. For longer trips several bottles would be required.

bobbytooslow

Post by bobbytooslow » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:32 pm

The Mammut Spindrift 26 is a tremendous pack. It has giant compartments integrated into the waistbelt, so the weight rides much lower (and you can access lots of stuff without taking the pack off).

https://www.mammut.com/us/en/p/2550-000 ... ndrift-26/

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:33 pm

Many thanks all for the great recommendations on the packs and backcountry wisdom. You’ve given me much to chew on.

One of the challenges seems to be figuring out how much to bring for the what-if scenarios, like suffering a bad injury when going solo. I’ve suffered enough falls to realize how easily you could lose the ability to ski out (my tall body tends to fall and land hard like a tree!). Want to be prepared, but don’t want to overload either. I’ll try the 15L vest for the half-days and then work up from there for longer or more technical trips.

Regarding the navigation, I’ve always used paper maps, but want to start using GPS to keep me on track when there are lots of intersecting trails. A few buddies recommend GPS apps on phone over Garmin-type devices. Any opinions? (my current iPhone 6 sucks and dies quickly in the cold!)