Asnes Mountain Tour 51

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Asnes Mountain Tour 51

Post by Johnny » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:43 am

I highly recommend Varuste... They have killer prices, they ship worldwide but most important, they have THE BEST customer service around, something extremely rare nowadays. Good customer service in 2020 = solid gold.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:02 pm

Johnny would know better than I, but I would go +1 to Johnny’s recommendation of Varuste. I have called and emailed them several times and they have always been responsive. I bought my Alfa Guards from them at a price that was less than I would have paid for the Skarvets at REI. I most recently asked them what Åsnes skis they would be carrying this year, and was surprised to hear that:
We should have a better picture of what åsnes and other skis we have to offer by the end of October, that's usually when the purchase orders are in so we have some clue as to which will be carried.

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:19 am

Thanks all. Will definitely check out Varuste.

Regarding the timing, early bird gets the worm this year. I’m purchasing in September after having seen the consumer runs this year on anything related to fitness, hobbies, home improvement, etc. Try buying a bike or BBQ now. There’s nothing left!

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:50 pm

What are the pros and cons of sizing down by 1-2 sizes (say from 210 to 200) on the MT51s? Would the shorter skis provide better stability control on the downhills? On the con side, would you notice the drag much on the K&G?

I’ve seen lots of discussions here about ski length, but curious how much impact it has on track ski like MT51.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:20 pm

On a traditional ski like the MT51 length is everything.

If you want stability and control going down hills you should look at another ski.

The MT51 is a classic "Tur-Langrenn" ski, whose DNA is unbroken over the past 50+ years. My wood Asnes Tur-Langrenn's from the early 70's are almost identical to the modern MT51 in terms of length, shape, camber and flex. (The differences are materials and X-Skin)

These skis are meant to put down miles on firm snow surfaces and in tracks. Vroom Vroom GO! I go down hills with a prayer and some duck-waddling around corners and grabbing at trees.

By sizing down in a ski like this you get imaginary downhill benefits and catastrophic drag issues.

If you are right on the edge between two skis you could size down, but with this type of ski, why? It's not meant to go around corners, and if you ever put on more weight with a backpack, you will lose even more performance.

Maybe you want an All-Around Fjellski? Trading off XC speed for more turn friendliness, but still a XC ski. Check out this page and use Translate https://www.asnes.com/hvordan-velge-rett-fjellski/

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:49 pm

↑ That was perfectly articulated my dear friend Master Woods.
LilCliffy
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

NordicWilly

Post by NordicWilly » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:22 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:20 pm
On a traditional ski like the MT51 length is everything.

If you want stability and control going down hills you should look at another ski.

The MT51 is a classic "Tur-Langrenn" ski, whose DNA is unbroken over the past 50+ years. My wood Asnes Tur-Langrenn's from the early 70's are almost identical to the modern MT51 in terms of length, shape, camber and flex. (The differences are materials and X-Skin)

These skis are meant to put down miles on firm snow surfaces and in tracks. Vroom Vroom GO! I go down hills with a prayer and some duck-waddling around corners and grabbing at trees.

By sizing down in a ski like this you get imaginary downhill benefits and catastrophic drag issues.

If you are right on the edge between two skis you could size down, but with this type of ski, why? It's not meant to go around corners, and if you ever put on more weight with a backpack, you will lose even more performance.

Maybe you want an All-Around Fjellski? Trading off XC speed for more turn friendliness, but still a XC ski. Check out this page and use Translate https://www.asnes.com/hvordan-velge-rett-fjellski/
Appreciate the detailed response @Woodserson. I may need to rethink my plan. I’ve learned the hard way in my various hobbies that you should pay attention to intended use. By the way, grabbing trees downhill is an art form that I have perfected!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:15 pm

skiied 2 hrs today on variable snow and groomed trail with the MT51/magnum and it was really nice! I waxed with blue extra in the kick zone and polar tip and tail. It was sunny 20F, very dry faceted snow from Monday. they didnt glide as well as I liked due to my rushed and poor wax job. But overall, a fantastic ski. Surprisingly, they turn really well on a packed groomer and did well on kibbles and bits...(I absolutely hate that! dog walkers, fat tire bikers, etc just kill the ski trail...just groomed last night, 1st mile already destroyed by noon today). but that is partially why I bought these skis...vs a traditional nordic ski.

I didnt try turning off trail as the snow coverage is still pretty thin and didnt want to risk a core shot.

I am a bit blown away that 185cm felt short! I currently weigh 135lbs. 5ft8in. maybe I am a better skiier now after 100 days in 12 months. I'm going to have my wife try them out this wkend. maybe they are better for her. Now I am wondering instead of 175cm for the Ingstad WL, if I should get the 185cm. I havent skiied my ft62s in almost 6 months...they are 172cm. will have to re-evaluate those this wkend as well on a steeper trail.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:07 am

omg...the mt51s are blazing fast.
we got fresh 1-2inches of feather light snow over an icy frozen base and flurries continue...

2000ft vertical in 6.5mi ...I was scared to go much faster than 30mph.
FB_IMG_1604725558730.jpg
FB_IMG_1604725551358.jpg
IMG_20201106_195829_119.jpg

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:48 pm

Alaska looks gorgeous! Good to know you could make turns with these - there is something about the softer edgeless tips I really like. It makes the MT51's a comfortable ski vs. a pure XC ski. It goes over bumps & chunky stuff smoothly because of the tips flexing. Not surprised that makes it easier to initiate turns on groomed terrain too.

I also use these to ski over snowshoe tracks & post holes and they do well. The edges in the middle help to power through the chopped-up snow and give some more stability. Never used 3/4-edged skis before but I definitely like them.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)