I've started training for next season....

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Re: I've started training for next season....

Post by bauerb » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:42 pm

might have been more fun on a mountain bike. super twisty
corkscrew run.jpg

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:26 am

I have been cross training all summer. Bike, ski, hike. I make sure I carry a heavy pack most of the time...average is about 15-20lbs.

50-55lbs on multiday trips. I carried my skis and boots for hike and ski combo this summer (which made my pack about 30lbs) Shorter distance hikes with greatest vertical, like 4.5miles, 3000ft, I would hike with about 12lbs no skis. Longer distance like 10+ miles, 4000ft+ I would carry 30-35lbs with some skiing.
Bike rides ranged from 30-50 miles per ride on variable trails and roads.

from may to sept, my monthly average was 80 miles of biking, 35,000ft vertical of hiking, and 10,000ft up/down skiing.

During the winter, I try to do 40k ft vertical of skiing and 10k ft vertical of hiking. I try to carry 2.5L of beer on full day tours as well as camera, water, and snacks to really weigh down my pack.

I found I was able to completely avoid weights and indoor training. and my treadmill broke in march which was a blessing in disguise.

I record all of my workouts with Garmin fenix watch and synced to strava.

and no matter how hard I train, I have alot of days where I feel pretty sh*tty.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:40 am

jyw5 wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:26 am

I try to carry 2.5L of beer on full day tours as well as camera, water, and snacks to really weigh down my pack.
[...]

and no matter how hard I train, I have alot of days where I feel pretty sh*tty.
Do you drink those 2.5 L of beer? Probably cancel out quite a bit of your training effect :lol:

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:21 am

my first ever trail half marathon is now in the books. it was a very rocky single track, 1400ft of climbing. considering I had never run more than 10 miles on trails before, it was a pretty good day. 2nd in my age group. I was too slow in the technical sections because I needed to protect my ankle. I had it taped up, but still lacks lateral stability. I am notorious for screwing up directions during the race, and yesterday was no exception. there were 4 laps, and each lap required a small loop followed by a long loop. on laps 2 and 3 I forgot the small loop. I realized by mistake during lap 4, so at the end when they were waving me to finish, I told the Marshall "I forgot to run 2 small loops, I'm going to run them now". because it was chip timing with timing mats, I ran my 2 forgotten small loops at the end. I told the timing guy at the end that I had screwed up. he checked the realtime system and said "well you ran the right distance, and the right number of each loop, so your'e good"...

a lot of loops
trail half marathon N J course copy.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:50 pm

I swear the video must be in slow motion. I felt like I was moving much faster than that ;)

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:42 am

yesterday I ran another trail half marathon. start time temp was 22, but then warmed up quickly to 30, so wasn't too bad. 3" of fresh snow on the trail. I was happy enough with my time. it was a costume race for Halloween. at one point I got passed by a dinosaur which was pretty funny. my participation award was a yellow stuffed gorilla.

as near as I can figure my max HR is about 170. I seem to be averaging 90% max for 13 miles. so when I think about whether I can run faster, I'm not sure I can manage more than 90% max for this distance. its my hope however than I start getting faster at the same avg HR.

I'll be running 5 half marathon trail races in 5 weeks up to mid-December. I enjoy the race atmosphere and its good exercise. I've decided to run a 50km trail ultra in Portland in June, so I'm starting to focus on the next 6 months to prepare. I'm 7 months in to my running "career" now, so why not run a 50k after 14 months?
gorilla half2.JPG
gorilla half.JPG

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:47 am

race last weekend
trail race river crossing.jpg

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:34 am

I guess there's no way to share this, except to become a follower, which is fine.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4050656627

I'm 68 and got a lot of mountain biking in this summer. almost 1200 miles of trail riding (almost all above 6000') and 157,000 feet of climbing.

This ride was Sept 12 this summer. 24 miles, 4700 feet of climbing maxing out at about 9500', and about 4 hours.

73 minutes 47 seconds HR between 160-178
7:06 above 179
I think my max HR is about 189. 8 years or so ago, I was 198 on a stress echo cardiogram, so I think that's pretty close.
strava2150080730244841770[3246].jpg
The other thing about mountain biking is that it works core muscles (unlike road biking) and really strengthens the muscles involved in telemark skiing.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:26 am

started a half marathon trail race this weekend. it was mainly deer trails covered in leaves. 5 miles in I sprained my left ankle, then proceeded to torque it twice more. the 3rd time had me doubled over in sharp pain. almost takes your breath away. I've been hurt alot over the years so the issue is not pain, its that when I roll my ankles( yes both have been victim many times since I was a teenager), I lose lateral stability. so I limped in the last half mile and decided I had to DNF. the race required 2 more of the same loop, and after rolling my ankle 3x, the odds of it happening over and over were basically 1000%. I hate DNF!! ankle is not great today, bruising on interior and exterior. most of my sprains don't include bruising, so I really did it this time. in hindsight, after the first roll of the ankle, I should have tip-toed back to the start/finish. but of course I kept running and made it worse. I have it wrapped up to keep swelling down. looks like the next few weeks will be stair master, stair raises, and starting to work on the treadmill. I find that when this happens I can run after a few days on flats that require no lateral ankle torque. it sucks because I had raises lined up the next 4 weeks....

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:32 pm

went on a really cool run today in Vermont( no snow). its a route that I have not been on in 35 years. 13 miles of trails that go up, about 1,000ft of elevation gain, but the trail goes up and down so end up being 1,800ft of elevation change. it was cool because I have not been on that trail since I was in high school. lots of memories of running and mountain biking back in those mountains

if anyone knows this part of Vermont, you can see I started outside Middlebury at Lake Dunmore, up to silver lake, then out through Goshen and then up to Breadloaf( Middlebury College's nordic ski center). I had considered running up another 2-3 miles to the SnowBowl ski area, but my feet were taking a pounding on pavement because I was wearing trail shoes
vermont run.jpg