DIY Easy Skins

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
johral

DIY Easy Skins

Post by johral » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:55 am

A post from Lars_Danner in this thread - http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... e&start=20
lit a spark in my brain and I went out in the shop to see what I had to bring it to life.

The material is called Biothane (Rubber coated nylon webbing) and is used on all kinds of gear. I had a roll of it that was the perfect width for the slot in my S-Bound 112s. This of course is just step one, but it works quite well. The hole punch made quick work of the notches and a run through the sewing machine (not your Grandma's) and I had the attachment hardware for an "Almost EZ Skin". The loop allows you to get a quick grip on it, but isn't necessary. The next step would be to sew the Climbing Skin to the Biothane, which would take all of 30 seconds. Cutting the skin to shape will be 90% of the work.

johral

Re: DIY Easy Skins

Post by johral » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Quick test run with a scrap of skin I had. The loop idea is a no go, as it is too thick to fit through the ski. A long tab works for now, but I may cut it back to keep it from snagging. Looks like it will work. Skimo sells skin by the CM, so I am going to order some up and make a set. They have 100% Mohair as well as blends. They carry up to 130MM width, so the whole waist can be covered as opposed to just 60mm that you get with the Fischers.

The scrap was from an old Ascension climbing skin, so I don't know if they are thicker than what is offered now or not. To get it through the ski I had to buzz off the nap on the skin. I'll cut it with a trimmer next time.

colbymck

Post by colbymck » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

That looks nice! What’s the approximate cost of the finished product compared to buying Fischer’s EZ skins? Or is the motivation just more of DIY spirit? Please keep us posted with the final product!

johral

Post by johral » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:21 pm

colbymck wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm
That looks nice! What’s the approximate cost of the finished product compared to buying Fischer’s EZ skins? Or is the motivation just more of DIY spirit? Please keep us posted with the final product!
The cost is whatever the Skin material costs. If you want 100% Mohair you can have it. If you want a longer skin, you can. Full width...no problem. Money savings is a possibility, but if you found EZ Skins on sale I doubt you could beat that price. I have the industrial sewing machine and the Biothane on hand, so I don't have to source those.

I can purchase full width, 100% Mohair skin, in the same length as Fischer provides, for under $50. Some more durable blends with the latest and greatest adhesives and technology run about 25% more.

Right now I am thinking of going with the Mohair. Other options are more durable and climb better, but I am old and slow, and unlikely to attempt any really steep skinning expeditions. I am also no going to be out on a daily basis, so at most I will probably put 10-20 days on the skins per year.

I make stuff for a living (and I used to design equipment in my past life as a Mechanical Engineer/Machinery Designer), so it comes second nature to make what I can with the resources I have. It really only takes a few minutes to put them together, so I figured why not.

Not the best picture, but this a pack I built a few years ago. I made everything except the Belt. Based on a Kifaru pack, which would have cost north of $600.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:30 pm

Very clean, nice work!

johral

Post by johral » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:50 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:30 pm
Very clean, nice work!
Thanks!

colbymck

Post by colbymck » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Very nice looking pack! And yes, I hadn’t thought about the value of a truly custom set of skins. I have some s bound 98’s but have yet to need the ez skins for them. Please post back with your findings, this is fascinating. Nice work!

johral

Post by johral » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:58 pm

colbymck wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:04 pm
Very nice looking pack! And yes, I hadn’t thought about the value of a truly custom set of skins. I have some s bound 98’s but have yet to need the ez skins for them. Please post back with your findings, this is fascinating. Nice work!
I'm going to go with Mohair from Kohla. I figure I have scales for when the snow is warm and wet, but might need the extra grip when it is cold and dry. At least that is my understanding of the shortcoming of a scaled ski.

I am going to get the skin ordered and should have it assembled shortly.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 am

Can I order one of those packs?!?!? Absolutely beautiful.

johral

Post by johral » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:15 am
Can I order one of those packs?!?!? Absolutely beautiful.
You bet. It will cost whatever the skin costs and shipping (about $10). I have done small sewing projects for guys putting stove jacks in their tents. It isn't a big deal and I like helping guys out.