Risers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Risers

Post by Stephen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:44 pm

I admit it — I’m ignorant on the use and reasons for risers. Can someone educate me on the different reasons to use them? Thanks.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Re: Risers

Post by Nick BC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:40 pm

Two reasons I can think of are:
1) To prevent boot out with three pin bindings mounted flat on narrow waisted skis; and
2) To give greater hold (4 hole riser) for three pin bindings with three screws.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:01 pm

Additionally, by raising the boot above the ski the riser acts as a lever or provides leverage that can assist turning a wider waisted ski.
I personally have not needed risers on skis in the mid -70 mm range. I have a riser in a mid 80 mm waist. Most alpine bindings and Telemark bindings have a riser. The exceptions are Nnn-BC and the Rottefella Super Telemark and Voile’ Heavy Duty Mountaineer and 3- pin cable. Most everything else has a riser incorporated into the binding.
So in review, to prevent the boot from hitting the piste in highly angulated turns ( boot out )
The Voile’ riser incorporates a 4 screw pattern to fasten to the ski.
A riser gives the boot greater leverage over the ski as it acts as a lever.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:17 pm

Hey fish, any way to install risers for BC NNN? would love to have them for climbing steep terrain.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:08 am

For the reasons already mentioned, plus:
- I like climbing wires (heel rests) for steeper terrain, its easier on the calfs, and the risers make this possible with Rottefella ST bindings. Perhaps the Voile have this possibility built in without riser plates
- If you were to use 75mm bindings on narrow waisted skis, you would increase clearance between the bindings and snow and cause less rubbing.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 am

In addition to the reasons above, risers will make you look taller and you will not have to bend over as far when tightening your boots laces.
jyw5 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:17 pm
Hey fish, any way to install risers for BC NNN? would love to have them for climbing steep terrain.
I have seen what looked like homemade risers made out of a hard plastic for tele bindings, it should be doable. If you want them to be able to install climbing bars you will have to do some additional engineering. You can make what are essentially climbing bars out of pvc pipe and bungy cords. They ride on the back of your boot until you need them, then you put them under your heel. Someone used to sell them, maybe Voile, but they would be easy to make. If I had access to mine I'd post a picture.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:14 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:17 pm
JYW, Voile does sell their heel pieces. You would need to remove the heel piece on the Rotefella NNN-BC. I think the best heel piece / climbing wire combination would be what is used on the 3-pin cable binding. I attached a link to the 3-pin Traverse Binding.
https://www.voile.com/voile-3-pin-cable ... riser.html

Call or email Voile to get the correct heel piece and climbing wires.
You really could use climbing wires to climb the mountains you ski. I don’t think too many people do what you are doing on NNN-BC gear.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm

I skied once with boby13 and he had a heel riser with its NNNBC mounted FT62.

I suggest you PM him or maybe he is actually reading this post ;)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 pm

I'm thinking people here are confusing "riser plates" and "climbing heels".

I'm sorry but a NNN BC "heel riser" is a crazy idea. I had a friend that tried it. Its like skiing with high heels. It hurts plus the rails of the binding no longer lock into the boot sole.

However using a very thin climbing heel with included climbing wire is a neat idea on NNN-BC. The problem is the thins ones are mostly unobtainium.

Here, what I call the "heel riser" is bottom right. The proper climbing heel for NNN BC is top left. Both are climbing heels of course but the bottom right one is meant to be used with a riser plate.
8-12-Cimbing-heels.png
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 am

awesome! the one on the left looks great.

Thanks for all the info!

I looked at the Voile heel and its 18mm. assuming a 10mm toe on the NNN BC binding, its about a 2 degree delta...I don't know how that would affect skiing performance having that forward lean as nordic is zero degrees...with a possible heel rise already from the boot.

I obviously don't have any idea what the proper name or parts are. I just know I want a heel lifter/climbing heel as Voile calls it to assist for ascents and then fold it down for the descent or when not using them. Thats where an AT binding's heel lifter is nice because it is completely out of the way when not in use.

That would be some frankenmod!

I skiied some low angle 4-6" fresh dry light powder today on ft62s...it was incredibly good. If the mountains aren't wind-loaded tomorrow, I may attempt a very steep slope on the ft62s with full skins. 1400ft vertical in 1 miles. That climb would be great if there was an AT like heel lifter.

I am going to investigate further and if it looks plausible, I will see if my local shop is willing to install it on my old S112s and will definitely report back!