FTP Gloves and Mittens

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: FTP Gloves and Mittens

Post by fgd135 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:38 am

johral wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:03 pm
Do you guys have trouble with the leather getting soaked? We usually have pretty wet snow around here.
I've been using Biwell ("original" Biwell, in the red tube)for many years to waterproof leather, both boots and gloves. Doesn't soften leather like mink oil products. It's harder to find these days, and I don't think there is a US distributor for it anymore; last year I bought several tubes on Ebay from a seller in Greece, of all places...
The other leather wax I use is Blackrock wax. It cleans and restores old leather, so is great for beat-up boots and gloves.
https://www.blackrock-leather.com/
All these products require leather retreatment from time to time.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:41 am

I've not had good luck with leather gloves. Untreated leather gloves (which can actually breathe, if only a little) become soaked and "wet-out". If I use a waterproofing wax or oil on them, they then don't breathe at all, so when my hands sweat they act like they've wetted-out, the gloves become wet from the inside and pretty much lose their insulation.

Reinforced nylon gloves with a breathable layer just seem to work better for me once I get a breathable DWR layer on the outside. The fact that they are not as durable isn't a big deal because they are so cheap. After a season or 2 they become cold weather work gloves. I had a pair of off brand Costco gloves that were around $15 that lasted me a couple of seasons.

The most expensive gloves I've owned in ages is the Gordini Gore-Tex Storm Trooper for $40, but I see they're $60 now!
They're pretty nice, but the palms aren't very durable. 2 seasons, max.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:27 am

I showed the FTP website to my mom/dad. my mom ordered last year's mittens for my dad. at $59 its seems pretty hard to beat. I will see what he says. He will use them for everything from backcountry, to construction, to household chores. he will beat the crap out of them and he's 78.if they pass his test, they are a sure thing.

I have a pair of Hestra and a pair of Dakine gloves now. I know they are each at least 10 years old. the only reason I would buy new "gloves" is if I buy mittens....my fingers will thank me for mittens on cold days

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:02 am

I got a bit tired of using mittens and a couple of years ago bought a pair of electrically heated gloves on Amazon for about $60. They're waterproof, but don't breathe well at all and have to be washed out about every 10 days or so. I use them when it's below about 10f for lower exertion events like night snowshoeing/hiking and such. The lack of breathability makes them unsuitable above about 15f with heavy exertion though. They've held together surprisingly well and the heating elements go all the way out to the fingertips and end of thumb.

On ski days when it's really cold, like below zero f, I've found that I can go with regular gloves as long as I keep my core warm. Variations of the old adage, "if your hands or feet get cold, put on a hat" isn't that far off - as long as they stay dry.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:22 am

when I was a teenager racing XC in the Northeast, we would race in temps down to -20. we wore the typical one-piece racing suits, racing boots, and single layer leather gloves with zero insulation. on days like that, every extremity would go completely numb....and I mean EVERY extremity. it wasn't getting cold that sucked, it was the extremely painful thaw process on the bus afterwards. these days I like to be warm.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:05 pm

gloves are a constant problem. I go through them more than anything else. fortunately, I have a pro deal at Outdoor Research. I also get really cheap gloves from Amazon when I see them on sale.

like these are great for mild conditions... cheap. disposable. if you do any real skiing/climbing. just expect to replace them yearly or twice/yr.

I use a liner under another glove in the cold months. sometimes start with expedition mittens as it gets a bit chilly here in Alaska.

overall, most gloves are treated as disposable. I reserve the expensive high quality gloves for multiday trips, technical climbs, etc.

The expedition mitts from OR are great. I also have their most expensive heated gloves...nice to get 50% off on them. wouldnt pay full price for them though.

I like the Hestra Ergo Grip for spring ski touring and late spring lower 48 resort skiing. expensive, but amazing.
and Hestra Morrison for resort skiing.

I slum in a pair of Swany Wendell leather gloves most of the year with wool or thin liners and use OR work gloves in the Summer/late spring.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm

...as it gets a bit chilly here in Alaska.
Stiff upper lip, and stoic. Appreciate the lack of drama.