Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:29 pm

Three inches of cold powder covered the hard packed ice remains of the last snow. Yesterday I hiked in micro spikes. Scraped as much red/silver off as I could, the rest, let’s just call it base binder. Waxed up with blue. Told ski dog to eat her Wheaties. To her that was just more nonsense out my mouth. No such confusion when I said, “truck ride”.
You know it’s good, when you throw the skis on the ground and you have unquestioned grip, unquestioned glide. Yep, ski dog is gonna find out the old man still has a little in the tank.
It was awesome! Did a few loops, not sure about miles. It’s a smaller loop trail, but the most hilly I know. Six to eight inches more and I’ll try a couple glades lines.
And ski dog? She had been curled up and quiet since I came home. Me? I’m still smiling! Skinny’s, leather, and going fast enough to chuckle. Life is good!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:36 am

Got lucky a few days back...18-24 inches in the Highlands.....Our base (all the snow we had)...was 6-8....bout the same as you out there.....then a South and east storm lit up the highlands....Not supposed to but often times it does....One time getting out of the car the Town plough roared to a stop....Looking at me he says..."Over two feet, weather man said a couple of inches"...We both laughed.....Sometimes WE get it right!!!! Been playing around with different skis as the powder is funky but has deepened with "flurries"....Wondering if those really skinnies will handle the sweet 8 inches or will they drop onto the deep and just stop....Will find out....Love being out there doing what one does....leathers....pins....laughter...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am

Been cold but the skiing is heating up...Lots of powder out there and with blue sky, sun, snow and ice blasted trees a beautiful vision is waiting.....Boys felled a "perfect beech standing dead tree"...hauled those suckers on their shoulders back to camp....Me? I kept the fire going....We have a good snow thinger going on...Sweet soft powder 6-8 inches on top of heavier denser powder....means lots of surface skiing...Skinnies still go in a bit....lots of good turns were had and the dogs and krout was good.....Decent ski out and a very good day was had....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:10 am

yesterday was "different"....headed up Little Mountain after being warned it was becoming known and lots of "Foreigners were using out tracks and following them...Teleking almost lost it when meeting some of them...He apologized after...After seeing what the tracks looked like I too was appalled....Gigantic turns that surly did not look much like I thought telemark looked like...At the top wrote into the book and said I've been skiing up there since 1973 and this would be the last time this year....Love the Vert but do not have any great wish to see many people in the BC...Mostly people who explore and set trails are really decent and I have no reason to think any of them were any different except for the gigantic size of the tracks...(are new telemark skis even wider than downhill?) So headed over to the East South East side where one track was seen which I thought was telekids...(not)....Figured that telekids track back to the (Penthouse)...farm barn!!!!...Some places were out of this world with exploding powder and wicked s turn riding....Arcs and turns with the e109's was wicked good...Wondered where Telekids tracks were...kept heading down and came to a place I hadn't seen before....Bummer!....Figured I was a couple miles from where I should be....An hour later skied down Boot's farm road to a warm fire and a beer...great ski for a dummy...TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:24 am

Oh no! Some "foreigners" are skiing on public land that you like to ski and-*gasp* they're using different skis than you are! Oh the humanity! It's not fair!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:01 am

They are probably Canadians. I've been hearing that people are having their lines poached by Mexicans but that is mostly out west. ;)

There is an easy fix for this problem. If Gt sacrifices the rest of this season and maybe next season too and only skis into swamps, bogs and totally unskiable trees people will eventually stop following his tracks.

Gt, my guess is that they were AT skiers but I could be wrong. My go to xc skis are tele skis from earlier this century that are about 150-110-135.

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:17 pm

C3158A46-6245-4B0A-A3E9-8A869CA90E5B.jpeg
The magnificent seven

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:36 am

The ones I like LAA are the ones on Teleking's wall...@10-12 feet long and two to three in width....People made their own in those days and came up with their own hand made skis...Hey Rock when are you coming back up?...Extra bed available for some KTB skiing.....heading up to the Highlands and have been re exploring the other side of the gap....Not sure if I'll hit a ridge up there or hit Teleknob for some sweet sharp drops....Wanna see if there is a way down to F pond....1200 verts with little work and lots of gain...Been seeing people up there some just hiking on the ski track!!!!....But the further in one goes almost no anything....Anybody way out there would be interesting to talk to ...Oh LAA still have my mothers old Northlands....Carved tips and made out of Maple....My skis from Austria are taken out now and then to remember what I learned on....Man did the Austrian kids laugh at my equipment....Remember the Gym instructor stopping traffic that drove up the Geisburg Mountain for me to rip across on my face down a hundred yards of steeps....Think the Austrians liked that!!!!!!! Or when the gym teacher was waving his hands and skiing frantically trying to intercept me as I skied off a small cliff that just appeared out of nowhere.....Took them about 15 minutes to dig me out....That was 12 years after the end of WW2....The best skier in the class said he would help me ski if I would help him in basketball...Good deal!!!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:08 am

White, really white with some dark linear lines called trees....heavy snow on the branches forcing branches and saplings to bow down and spend the winter bent....Between the trees were openings for short drops and then a run out...Perfect!.....Skis floated up from down under and sliced the snow and kicked the powder up....Very quiet out there.....On the way down saw some snowshoe tracks and they speeded up the down on the logging road....man do those skis slide fast.....At the bottom saw the snows hoer and talked to him...He had his young son with him...Said he wanted to get into the kind of thing we all do....Decent person and he is seeking used e99's and Super Rottafella pins....Soon expect to be seeing some tracks heading out to nowhere...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:39 am

Easy ski yesterday but Telekid on another Mountain had it a bit more interesting...He heads up the Mountain in the dark so he can get to work on time....Dedication!....-10o and the wind howling he gets to the top as the sun wakes up...Taking off his skins his body reacts to the cold with the beginning of toes going in a bad direction and his hands feeling the effects....Down he goes on the East side of the Mountain with 20 inches everywhere and up to 30 inches blown in.....Fantastic he says to me and another thousand feet of powder bliss is had...Said his face was an ice mask...I knew the feeling!....TM