The truth about NTN: My take on it...

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

The truth about NTN: My take on it...

Post by Johnny » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:17 am

So I've been skiing on NTN for about 5 years now. Not exclusively of course, I ski on a lot of other different bindings too. In the end, it will always be a matter of taste, but let's take a look at the facts:

Cons:
1- Heavy (The heaviest binding on the market)
2- Expensive (The most expensive binding on the market)
3- Easy to break (The most fragile binding on the market)
4- Only a few boots are compatible (The most limited choice on the market)
5- Catastrophic only release
6- Boots are expensive too
7- Release settings is inversely proportional of binding stiffness
8- Not really a true step-in binding

Pros:
1- Best edge control ever, and that's it.

So honestly, is it really worth paying 400$ for a pair of bindings with only one real advantage over the others? And knowing that you will have to spend another 700$ for another pair of boots that only fits this binding? My answer is yes, absolutely. There is nothing like NTN for carving like a king. Whether it's world cup racing at eye-watering speeds or kicking short radius turns. For hard pack on-piste skiing, it's the best binding ever.

Now, does that mean that you should throw away everything else? Absolutely not. NTN bindings are like carrots. I like carrots, I really do. When really fresh, it's probably my favorite vegetable. But would I be willing to eat only carrots and nothing else for every single day of year? Definitely not. I would be really sad to do so. Just like I would be really sad to ski only on NTN.

While it's the best binding for what it does, I do believe that it really shouldn't be your only choice. Granted, everyone should own a pair of Freerides at some point. But seriously, if you are skiing exclusively on NTN, you are missing A LOT of fun. They offer the best control over edging, but that doesn't mean you can't do it with other bindings too. Just because you own NTN bindings doesn't make you a better skier. It's quite the opposite actually. You have to deserve it. You have to prove that you deserve the NTN "upgrade". As they say, "If you can't rip on pins, you ain't s**t"...

NTN is getting more and more popular, and for a good reason, but 75mm nordic norm is here to stay. So in the end, it's not really just a matter of taste, it's a matter of using the proper tools for the proper job. The truth? Yours to discover, there's a different truth for everyone of us.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

djhutch

Re: The truth about NTN: My take on it...

Post by djhutch » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am

Nice! I joined the forum just to say thank you LoveJohnny for the best, most objective overview of NTN that I have ever read. I am really surprised there have been no opposing viewpoints. I'll add one more pro and one more con.

Con:
Bad icing when touring (at least during Spring in the Pacific Northwet)

Pro:
Brakes are really nice for getting into skis in steep, sketchy situations

I bought the Freedoms but went back to Axls/75mm because I prefer the progressive, longitudinal, more active power of the Axls (at least compared to Freedoms, I don't own Freerides). NTN is definitely better laterally hence their great carving/edge control.

NTN, TTS, duckbill or duckbutt - it all works pretty well no so please consider upgrading/replacing your aging tele gear to help keep innovation alive in this great sport.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:44 am

Hey, thanks a lot DJ!

Maybe there's not much opposition because this IS the NTN truth...? 8-)
please consider upgrading/replacing your aging tele gear to help keep innovation alive in this great sport.
You know what? This is a very important and interesting point. I've been thinking a lot about that lately... Especially with all those tech / boutique bindings coming out every season. I'm still not sure if it's better to have a lot of smaller manufacturers or a fewer but bigger ones. Innovation, yes. But the price has to be good for the new products to be successful.

Welcome to TT and feel free to share your thoughts on other topics as well... 8-)
Thanks!

bogon

Post by bogon » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:12 pm

For me, silicone spray in the morning gets rid of icing AND squeeing problems. For really "bad" days I carry it with me and spray 2nd time after lunch.

Will try adding some slick tape under flex plates.

NTN brakes are sub-par (they do not extend sideways, also they make binding entering somewhat harder). Weight and RoM are main issues with NTN Freeride IMO.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

TeleHarry

Post by TeleHarry » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm

As a lurker for years, then finally as an active participant on Mitch's old forum (ah, those were heady days...)
I was really surprised to see the revival of the "great NTN debate".
Are you folks new to the sport, or are you old farts who didn't get enough arguing, insulting, and finally being barred from TelemarkTips?
In any case, carry on as you wish, but I guarantee that you won't come up with even one idea that wasn't dragged out and beaten to death already. Peace/Out
Harry

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:17 am

Of course everything has already been said. I think Tele Enthusiasts are just like girls. It's not that they like to talk about it, they NEED to...! : )

Harry, my friend, if by any chance you are aware of any new idea we could discuss, please let us know!! 8-)

TeleHarry

Post by TeleHarry » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:25 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:Of course everything has already been said. I think Tele Enthusiasts are just like girls. It's not that they like to talk about it, they NEED to...! : )

Harry, my friend, if by any chance you are aware of any new idea we could discuss, please let us know!! 8-)
LOL!
Finally, a response. I guess that I shouldn't be too harsh. Folks new to NTN invariably take up the old debate with new vigor, and I should leave them to their fun.
I have been using NTNs since they came out, for reasons that are meaningful to me, but maybe not many others: I'm a patroller, and I can easily and very quickly put the bindings on and take them off while on the hill, with no hands (they don't slide away, either). They are not the best; They are the best for me. I do some back-country with them, too. The darn things are very heavy, but I'm a big guy and it doesn't bother me (much). I have not used the newer, lighter, longer throw version because basically I haven't felt the need. Their limited ascent throw has never been a problem for me. One added plus is that they still attract much craved attention.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:24 am

TeleHarry wrote:
Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:16 pm
...I guarantee that you won't come up with even one idea that wasn't dragged out and beaten to death already.
Hey, Harry: Repetition is the key to retention.

twopass
Favorite Skis: Tatra Gopher High 12's
Favorite boots: Red Wing

Post by twopass » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:35 pm

djhutch wrote:
Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:13 am
please consider upgrading/replacing your aging tele gear to help keep innovation alive in this great sport.
No f-ing way. I'm finished paying to do R&D for binding manufacturers. :roll:
"I really have had enough of illogical detraction by association as a way of avoiding logical argument by an absurd extension of ad hominem argument to third parties."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:46 am

Resurrection of a 6yr old thread...