Hestra Lobster mitt

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bauerb

Hestra Lobster mitt

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:51 pm

so it got really cold here in Montana, and I wanted something other than my 15 year old Hestra 5 finger gloves. being mid-season, the stock in local stores was limited. I wanted the Hestra mitten, but they only had tiny sizes left. so I bought the Hestra Lobster mitt in my size. my concern of course that my pointer finger would be left stranded and therefore be cold. after a couple days of using them for lift served runs on days with minus temps, I can say that my concern about my pointer finger is confirmed, but, its also easy to put your pointer finger in the mitt space with the other fingers. what I really like is having these mitts in my pack to put on after skinning up the mountain. I know that Hestra costs 2X the FTPs, but the lifespan of my gloves is generally 10-15 years, so I am ok with the price. I also prefer the gauntlet cuff because it goes over my parka. the mitten keeper cuff( so you don't drop a mitt off the lift) is tight elastic on these so fits against your wrist, I actually prefer the draw cord that goes over your parka....
Hestra.jpg

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Hestra Lobster mitt

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:46 pm

I never owned Hestra. However, you could walk me through an outfitting shop blindfolded, and I can easily tell you when I am walking by a Hestra display. The smell of their leather is very pleasing. Also, their leather has great hand; it feels unbelievable.

That being said, smell and feel are not enough for me to authorize a purchase. Glad to hear that @bauerb is happy with their product. Never heard any one complain about Hestra performance.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Hestra Lobster mitt

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 am

I have a pair of these exact same mittens and love them for skiing tours. When it gets too warm for the whole mitten I either just use only the liner (this could cause them to wear out faster, but it does work), or on multi day tours I have a lighter pair of gloves around.
Have used them between -20C for 7 years now, cannot fault them, and I haven't found myself wishing for something warmer.
In colder than -20C I rarely go out anyways.