Gear sewing/repair in VT or NH?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Gear sewing/repair in VT or NH?

Post by phoenix » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:38 pm

So, I have an ancient North Face down jacket needing a zipper repaired or replaced, and a newish OR softshell that I'd like to have modified adding a gusset to the cuff. Prefer not to go with a the NF repair dept, for time involved and posible hassles with doing the repair at all. Any more local options?

Landscraper

Re: Gear sewing/repair in VT or NH?

Post by Landscraper » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:49 pm

Hi Phoenix

Was hoping someone would weigh in with a solid lead, but in the absence of that I'll give my 2c

These both sound like run of the mill tailoring jobs, as opposed to more technical gear repair like fixing an interior baffle on a down garment or alterations to a tent or bag

Have you consulted a local tailor? Pound for pound I think the expertise is probably in Chittenden or somewhere in Addison perhaps. Certainly not where I am at the gateway to the NEK.

I would caution you against dealing with repair programs at the moment ... I had a zip issue on a patagucci base layer and they quoted me EIGHT WEEKS for a repair.

A little time on etsy and youtube and the layer is good as new, and improved as far as I'm concerned.
Do you know how to rip a stitch? Willing to learn?

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm

I grew up in Middlebury. when I was a kid, I would buy army surplus clothes. sometimes I needed a new zipper or something. a local woman was always up to the challenge, even if she thought giving her $10 to sew in a new zipper was more than the pants were worth. I think that given what you want done, many small town tailors would be happy to help you.

Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Post by Telecat » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:12 pm

Haven't been there in a while, but i think outdoor gear exchange has a repair department for things like that. Worth calling

Actually just checked. They do zipper and sewing repairs from $15-25+

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm

I've used these folks quite a number of times, yes, they're in Colorado.
https://bouldermtnrepair.com/repairshop/

Btw, a zipper replacement on an outdoor jacket could run you from $75 and on up, from just about any repair service.
TNF will probably repair your jacket for the cost of shipping...even if it takes 3 months.
Last year I sent a gtx jacket to Marmot for a warranty repair--cost me nothing. I bought the jacket on sale in 1999.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Appreciate the suggestions... I've brought stuff to local sewers before, and have considered that, but I'm a little hesitant with a down jacket needing a full zipper replacement. I have no intention to deal with a the big companies for repair; I'm familiar with their turnaround times and protocols. As far as DIY, I do loads of mods and repairs on my stuff, but don't have a sewing machine, so no finer work. I'll give OGE a call, shop there often enough, but hadn't heard of a clothing repair dept.
None of this is urgently needed, and nothing to sweat in the big scheme of things, just thought there might be a gear savvy repair place around.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:28 pm

I bought a sewing machine about 7-8 years ago. In fact I bought 3 of them. I used to make boat covers for my sailboat. I then graduated to making shorts out of pants and sewing a hem in them. I good used sewIng machine would cost you $100 max, but zippers are like black diamond sewing.

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:57 pm

"zippers are like black diamond sewing"

Didn't know that, but I figured it wouldn't be a good idea for me to cob a hand sewn replacement on a down filled jacket. But I do handsew a lot of general stuff.

vt_trees

Post by vt_trees » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:01 pm

You could post on local Front Page Forum and see what you get for responses. What about giving Louis Garneau a call in Newport?

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:14 am

fgd135 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:07 pm
Last year I sent a gtx jacket to Marmot for a warranty repair--cost me nothing. I bought the jacket on sale in 1999.
I can second Marmot's warranty repairs. I bought a pair of their shell pants 20+ years ago as backups, never wore them, pulled them out a few years ago and found the tape on the seams had delamed. I sent them back to get them re-taped. They did the repair, no charge other than shipping. I've also used these folks in Seattle: https://rainypass.com/ TNF, Marmot used to contract with these folks to so some of their warranty repairs.