Removing kick wax from kicker skin glue

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Removing kick wax from kicker skin glue

Post by CwmRaider » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 am

The other day I was skiing with Swix V40-Blue Extra over a layer of Polar, and mounted 30mm skins on top for a steeper climb.
When I removed the skins quite a bit of the wax was stuck to the glue. Basically now the 30mm don't stick anymore.
I suppose I have to re-glue them. I have seen tutorials for removing glue with fiberlene and a heat gun or iron, then re-gluing.

Or is there another way without regluing the whole skin?

Anyone else have experience with glue pulling Swix Blue Extra? I figured it would have been "hard enough" wax.

The reason I am not sure if it is too soft is that I think I may have made a mistake with ski prep - I used a roto-brush along the entire base to remove some ptex hairs before grip waxing. The rotobrush still had glide wax powder on it, I did not take care to clean the bases afterwards before applying polar (which I ironed in). Presumably only very little glide wax was applied this way, but perhaps it was enough to compromise the bonding between the base and the polar?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Removing kick wax from kicker skin glue

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:54 am

Hi Roelant,
Crappy-
I use Swix Blue Extra regualarly with kicker skins and have not had trouble with wax ruining the adhesive...

I do not have any personal experience with re-gluing skins- I have paid to have it done in the past.

In my limited experience my kicker skins haev been sue for replacement by the time the adhesive is worn out.
I have a set of 45mm mohair kicker skins that are my most-used- the glue is almost due for replacement- but the skin is essetially worn out.

I would predict that my nylon kickers will outlive the adhesive.
Thanks for posting that video!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Shenanagains

Post by Shenanagains » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:35 pm

Unfortunate!

Before giving up on the skins, or re glueing, I'd try something else. In the world of AT skiing, skin glue gets contaminated with pine needles, dirt and hair, rather than kick wax. A widely used method to deal with that situation may also work for you.

Lay the skins glue side up on a bench, and cover the glue with kraft paper- or paper grocery bags. Then heat the paper with a waxing iron, with the heat set fairly high. Move the iron quickly over the paper so heat is only applied for a short time- just enough to melt a thin layer of glue. Then, remove the paper.

If done right, only a small thickness of glue will be removed, but all of the contamination will come up with the glue.

SO- the above is the 'classic' version of the process. It might be needed, but the contaminant on your skins is kick wax, which melts at a lower temp than the glue. Maybe you can get it off with less heat yet, not enough to remove any glue?

If those skins were mine, I'd lay kraft paper on the glue, set the iron JUST hot enough to melt kick wax, and heat the paper with the iron. Then peel the paper up while still warm. Maybe, just maybe, your problem will come off with the paper and leave your skins as good as new.

Good luck!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:44 pm

Mr. Shenanagains has the right idea, I'd try that trick first. Remember to keep the iron temp as low as possible and keep it moving on the paper, or it will peel the adhesive right off the skin. Having multiple strips of paper ready to go will ease the process. This is a good way to remove marmot hair and pine needles, too.
(With a hot iron, it is possible to completely remove old skin adhesive using this technique. )
There is possibly one (opposite) way to go--try to freeze those skins down well below the temp of the wax that is on the skins, and while they are still very very cold, try to scrape off just the wax. Just a thought.
Finally, you can rejuvenate remaining adhesive by using a cheap aerosol hairspray and lightly spraying the glue side of the skins.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Shenanagains recommendation ↑
Excellence.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:20 pm

Shenanagains recommendation ↑
Excellence.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm

EDIT:
I reference a product, below, that is not meant for normal skin glue — disregard.

Might this work?
https://skimo.co/contour-hybrid-skin-wipe
Last edited by Stephen on Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jalp

Post by jalp » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:48 am

Roelant wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:05 am
The other day I was skiing with Swix V40-Blue Extra over a layer of Polar, and mounted 30mm skins on top for a steeper climb.
When I removed the skins quite a bit of the wax was stuck to the glue. Basically now the 30mm don't stick anymore.
I suppose I have to re-glue them. I have seen tutorials for removing glue with fiberlene and a heat gun or iron, then re-gluing.

Or is there another way without regluing the whole skin?

Anyone else have experience with glue pulling Swix Blue Extra? I figured it would have been "hard enough" wax.

The reason I am not sure if it is too soft is that I think I may have made a mistake with ski prep - I used a roto-brush along the entire base to remove some ptex hairs before grip waxing. The rotobrush still had glide wax powder on it, I did not take care to clean the bases afterwards before applying polar (which I ironed in). Presumably only very little glide wax was applied this way, but perhaps it was enough to compromise the bonding between the base and the polar?
Yes, I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago with a fairly new pair of easy skins. I was able to remove the wax and they were as good as new afterwards. What I did was to slowly pour hot (sub-boiling) water over the glue. It melted the wax and floated it away. I'd recommend experimenting with an old skin or piece of scrap skin before committing. Good luck!

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:41 pm
Might this work?
https://skimo.co/contour-hybrid-skin-wipe
Nope. this is for vacuum based skins. They are different beast. It is not really glue, it is silicon based.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:24 pm

Thanks for the replies! Have not had the time yet but I'll try the hot water thing first, then the paper trick.
I'll be sure to update here on how it went.