Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Fischer E-99 getting a makeover/name change?

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:35 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 am

I cant imagine they'd drop the crown version on the 99..... I still dont have one....

What did the 99 refer to anyway?
Nobody thought they'd drop the E109 Crown either... until they did! Fischer has the best grip patter/no wax pattern going with the Offtrack Crown and then they decide to not use it on their backcountry ski... crazy! I think they are about to go all in with the Twin Skin. You'll get a wax, or a Twin Skin. Which is a total shame because the twin skin is good, but it has certain limitations, like cold fresh snow.

re:99. I've never figured it out either. But it's LEGEND. A sign of stability. This is a "new coke" direction they are going, for sure.

dhdaines
Ski style: Scandinavian Skibreaker
Favorite Skis: E99, E99, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC

Post by dhdaines » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:37 pm
TURMANIC TURMANIC. Must have been lost in the woods for too long. Urban cross country ski shoes?

https://www.fischersports.com/ca_en/urban-boots

Sounds like Fischer is breaking up with Rottefella. They sole does look neat and compatible. I don't know. I'm not bying into any of this.
The breakup happened a couple years ago when anybody could start making their own NNN-compatible soles and bindings. Now we don't get to collect NIS keys :( they make great keychains but not very good bottle openers.

The urban boots are pretty cool and if I still lived in the city I'd definitely buy some, perfect for places like Montréal or (any city in Norway or Finland I guess) where you can take the bus or metro directly to the trailhead. Having slipped on a wet bus floor multiple times with hard plastic NNN sole boots, once resulting in a spectacular faceplant, I could have really used these!

I too would really like to know what the 99 originally stood for. I know that before the E99 (and E89, and E109) there was the "Europa 79" which was a racing ski at the time, possibly one of the first fiberglass/p-tex ones to be widely used in the World Cup but I might just be making that up.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 am

dhdaines wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

I too would really like to know what the 99 originally stood for. I know that before the E99 (and E89, and E109) there was the "Europa 79" which was a racing ski at the time, possibly one of the first fiberglass/p-tex ones to be widely used in the World Cup but I might just be making that up.
The E99 was originally called the Europa 99. It was probably part of a series and only the 99 continued through the decades. First came out in late 70's, iirc. Green with the three stylized sharp angled bird-shapes up front.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:09 am

Woods, that New Coke comparison is just absolutely spot on. Hopefully they go back to Coca Cola classic with reduced rocker!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:27 am

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 am
dhdaines wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:07 am

The E99 was originally called the Europa 99. It was probably part of a series and only the 99 continued through the decades. First came out in late 70's, iirc. Green with the three stylized sharp angled bird-shapes up front.
The first wood-core fiberglass top sheet/abs running surface full (aluminum) metal edged XC ski sold by Fischer was the "Europa 77", circa 1976. It has a white topsheet with red logo and trim, iirc. It was replaced within a couple of years by the first green top-sheet, aluminum edged Europa 99. Same ski, tiny bit different dimensions, different name and color. Fischer made that ski for a few seasons, last year in a pale navy blue, before 1980, when the edge material was switched to off set steel, so they could be deburred or sharpened, which could not be done with the original flush-to-sidewall aluminum edges.
Fischer used the E 99 name ever since, I guess until now anyway, although the ski design has changed back and forth dramatically since the first iterations.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Struckski
Ski style: anything from zero to about 30 degrees...
Favorite Skis: Voile
Favorite boots: I dream of something lightweight, with good ankle ROM and a bellows...

Post by Struckski » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:01 am

fisheater wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:09 am
Woods, that New Coke comparison is just absolutely spot on. Hopefully they go back to Coca Cola classic with reduced rocker!
"Transnordic 66 Easy Skin Extralite"...Hmmm. I sure hope that doesn't replace the E99. That's not even new Coke. That's Crystal Pepsi.

Actually, that's Caffeine Free Diet Crystal Pepsi.

I fear that the already-venerable E99 will become an even more highly sought after relic and fetch high prices on Ebay...

What is great about E99 is just the opposite... they are the everyperson's ski. I could tolerate the name change, but doing away with the crown version?...ouch.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:28 am

Me no like new name.

Me want this ski with more stable shovel, trad raised tip, much less Nordic rocker, Off-Track Crown insert and kicker-skin insert.

I might see if I can get my Gamme 54 BC to shag my E99 Crown Xtralite and then clone the most favourable of the offspring...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Eärendil » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:28 am

I might see if I can get my Gamme 54 BC to shag my E99 Crown Xtralite and then clone the most favourable of the offspring...
Bingo! Now we’re talking! :mrgreen:

//Rickard//

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm

Now I really wish I snapped up those older 205 e99 crowns from ebay last week..... Shouldnt have hesitated. Id agree on the twin skins, they have their place, in the right conditions they rock, but outside of those, less so. Plus they have to be replaced, what happens when Fischer stops making replacement skins?I
Skins and wax wear off, but crown is forever
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:19 pm

12gaugesage wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:02 pm
Now I really wish I snapped up those older 205 e99 crowns from ebay last week..... Shouldnt have hesitated. Id agree on the twin skins, they have their place, in the right conditions they rock, but outside of those, less so. Plus they have to be replaced, what happens when Fischer stops making replacement skins?I
Skins and wax wear off, but crown is forever
Don't want to dissapoint but crowns wear down with time. The waxable bases are more durable (and more fun!) IMO.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM