What's in your Pulk?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Re: What's in your Pulk?

Post by tkarhu » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:00 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:02 am
[I wish I had a Hilleberg or Helsport tunnel tent .They have huge advantages. Number one is that the fly is already attached so it pitches with the fly already on (mine is bitch to pitch and can get wet while you are pitching the inner-tent before the fly goes on). They offer huge vestibules or even two huge ones (good to have for > 2 person tents). They make a long tent-bag- like 2 meters (rides on top of the pulk- over-hanging that allows you to take only half the pole out of the arch and to simply roll the tent. So breakdown and set-up are very fast and simple, even in bad weather. A 3-person model is better for 2 people. They cost a lot though- maybe next year!

Have you seen the Piteraq Arctic Bedding. It is bag that holds a sleeping pad, air matress and your sleeping bag- all laid out ready to go you don't pack them up, it also has pockets for everything else you need in the camp- stove, booties, etc. The idea is you pitch your tentand just throw this bag in the tent un-zip it and you are camoing- no stuff bags to unpack and later pack, no matress to blow up. It was invented by a Norwegian guy for his Antarctica trip. They are also about 2 meters long. You see a lot hanging off pulks around Sarek. I might try this on my 2nd tour but my idea is to half-inflate the air mattress and fold the whole thingy in half-then put it under my pulk cover . I don't like the 2m idea and I like short pulks.

This is the Arctic Bedding you can see the long Hilleberg tent sack under it. As you can see it is better foer wide open spaces, not ideal for Bushwhacking!

No, I have actually never heard of the arctic bedding, or even the Hilleberg tent bag :D Great info, thanks!

We actually bought Hilleberg’s biggest and strongest tunnel tent, Keron 4 GT, when we got our second child. That was after we had three tents already in our family, and still not room for a four person family :D We thought that if it withstands Greenland crossings, it will withstand a small-children-family, too. And, for it is forward compatible for overnight ski tours in less visited areas, too. We already had an 2- or 3-person Hilleberg, Nallo 2 or 3. Nallo is basically a winter tent, too. Yet it ks not really suitable for many tent nights in a row because it is so small.

We halso have pulks like the one on the video, Erapro Paris. They are cheap and durable. Mechanisms need some tinkering and cost more than the pulk. Like the pulk on the video, we also pull the Paris pulks with ropes. In addition, our pulks have ~80 cm chains for braking at the front of our pulks. The pull ropes run through chain holes. When you throw the chain under your pulk, it takes down excess speed, when going downhill.

The tent that once got torn in a storm, was a ridge tent. They have sharp folds at top corners, where poles go through. The tent was torn at one of those spots. Tunnel tents do not have those weak spots.

tkarhu

Post by tkarhu » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:18 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am
[Beginning of March I will ski the new Lapplandsleden in Sweden, end-to-end by myself (anyone want to go? easy-to-get-to start). […] About half the trail is also a snowmobile route (not heavily used, but used none the less), the county says in the cabins the skiers have priority over the bunks- not sure how that works- "Mister you are lying on my bunk!" Drunken snowmobiler breaks beer bottle over me head.
In Finland open hut practice is actually last come, first serve. Or put another way, first in - first out.

People who come first, should make room for those who come late. Idea is that when you come late in the night, you might be tired or in trouble. And if you have already settled and cooked, you have more time to put a tent up late then. I guess Swedes have similar hiking culture. Well, in practice there have never been so many people that this would have been needed to put in practice for bunks. Usually, you just make room for others to cook.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:42 pm

tkarhu wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:18 pm
randoskier wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:45 am
[Beginning of March I will ski the new Lapplandsleden in Sweden, end-to-end by myself (anyone want to go? easy-to-get-to start). […] About half the trail is also a snowmobile route (not heavily used, but used none the less), the county says in the cabins the skiers have priority over the bunks- not sure how that works- "Mister you are lying on my bunk!" Drunken snowmobiler breaks beer bottle over me head.
In Finland open hut practice is actually last come, first serve. Or put another way, first in - first out.

People who come first, should make room for those who come late. Idea is that when you come late in the night, you might be tired or in trouble. And if you have already settled and cooked, you have more time to put a tent up late then. I guess Swedes have similar hiking culture. Well, in practice there have never been so many people that this would have been needed to put in practice for bunks. Usually, you just make room for others to cook.
Same in Norway normally, but Covid has changed everything and there are special rules and sometimes you have to reserve a whole 4 bunk room if you are alone (of course you pay for only one bunk), if you have a multi person party you can take the room too but you can't mix parties in bunk rooms. In some smaller cabins you have to reserve the whole thing. Previously you never had to reserve, just turn up.

The thing on the Lapplandsladen is that snowmobilers have zero priority on bunks, the thought being they can drive elsewhere (like to town) and sleep, pplus they did not exert themselves. I think it is crazy that Sweden allows snowmobiles on the lower part of the Kumgsleden and half of the Lapplandsleden. Sweden and Finland are too liberal with with snowmobile access in my opinion. Norway has a more restrictive position but had some crumbling of this under the former govt (conservatives).

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:48 pm

The tent bag- Sled Pack
https://en.aventurenordique.com/sled-pa ... eberg.html

Helsport makes the same design.
Last edited by randoskier on Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:18 pm

[/quote]

We halso have pulks like the one on the video, Erapro Paris. They are cheap and durable. Mechanisms need some tinkering and cost more than the pulk. Like the pulk on the video, we also pull the Paris pulks with ropes. In addition, our pulks have ~80 cm chains for braking at the front of our pulks. The pull ropes run through chain holes. When you throw the chain under your pulk, it takes down excess speed, when going downhill.

The tent that once got torn in a storm, was a ridge tent. They have sharp folds at top corners, where poles go through. The tent was torn at one of those spots. Tunnel tents do not have those weak spots.
[/quote]

The Paris sled is very popular everywhere. This Minnesota site has some interesting ideas on how to make pulk accessories for it your self- like fiberglass poles to pull it. You can see the evolution of his designs, the early ones are weak. The last one is very good. If you put your email in there they will send the guide. Of course you can buy the poles + attachments to the sled from them ready-made for $120. Easy to attach- they are similar to the poles I made myself. I made my own poles (traces) it cost about about $40 for two of them. If you have fiberglass poles you don't need a brake to descend, the pulk will follow you.

https://www.skipulk.com/diy-guide-to-bu ... -own-pulk/

The Hilleberg Anaris (1.4kg) [not for winter] solved the pole problem on ridge tents that you mentioned . This is the reinforced trekking pole sleeve- heavy duty material! Like all Hillebergs it pitches with the fly already attached. Hilleberg is a great company but you need to arrange a mortgage to pay off their prices.
sleeve.jpg
Last edited by randoskier on Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:31 pm

I have my eyes on the Helsport Lofoten Pro 3 Tent. 3-person tents are really just roomier tents for two people. 2 person tents in winter camping feel cramped. Like Hilleberg- Helsport makes good tunnel tents. This should be strong enough with 9mm poles, it is in their 4 season range. Costs 700 EUR at Varuste, a fair price!
hel.jpg

tkarhu

Post by tkarhu » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:08 pm

randoskier wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:18 pm
The Paris sled is very popular everywhere. This Minnesota site has some interesting ideas on how to make pulk accessories for it your self- like fiberglass poles to pull it. You can see the evolution of his designs, the early ones are weak. The last one is very good. If you put your email in there they will send the guide. Of course you can buy the poles + attachments to the sled from them ready-made for $120. Easy to attach- they are similar to the poles I made myself. I made my own poles (traces) it cost about about $40 for two of them. If you have fiberglass poles you don't need a brake to descend, the pulk will follow you.

https://www.skipulk.com/diy-guide-to-bu ... -own-pulk/
This is a great resource again! Many thanks.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:33 pm

Awesome thread @randoskier with a great assist from @tkarhu

Thanks guys, this was really good.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:19 am

I'll second that. Much appreciate you guys documenting this here. Gear list for a long term trip is huge to have stored in the Wiki for all time. Thanks!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:38 am

The video clips on this page (in English) are useful for explaining the Scandinavian method of winter tunnel-tent camping and have some good tips- re: the one where Bo Hilleberg takes his Swedish retailers out camping- your little brothers in Norway are much more rugged :D

https://varuste.net/en/a69/winter-campi ... and-tricks