Trail breaking ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Trail breaking ski

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm

dave52 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:14 pm
My snow-cabulary is limited, what is "3D snow"?
I am using the term "3D" snow to acknowledge that any of these BC-XC skis are going to sink into soft snow at XC speeds- therefore, one will be striding through the snow- not on top of it.
I mentioned it specifically because the Ingstad BC/WL has a significantly rockered shovel.
Tip-shovel rocker does nothing to improve striding/climbing efficiency at XC speeds-
In fact, the rocker creates glide resistance by presenting a wider surface area that is initiating trail breaking (plus it presents a shorter glide/grip surface when climbing).
The Ingstad is a good deep snow XC ski because of its stiff, stable flex- but it is not as efficient as the non-rockered NATO ski in pure XC mode.
(The rocker certainly encourages planing and facilitates turn initiation at DOWNHILL speeds)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:46 pm

dave52 wrote:
As far as prep: no prep to Ingstad WL;
Are you using the Ingstad WL in deep soft snow?
I can't imagine that anyone getting sufficient grip with the WL in deep soft snow...
(I do with my Nansen WL, but I am grip-waxing the base).

How does the grip-waxed USGI(MT65) compare to the Ingstad WL in deep soft snow?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:08 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:42 pm
dave52 wrote:
My snow-cabulary is limited, what is "3D snow"?
I am using the term "3D" snow to acknowledge that any of these BC-XC skis are going to sink into soft snow at XC speeds- therefore, one will be striding through the snow- not on top of it.
I mentioned it specifically because the Ingstad BC/WL has a significantly rockered shovel.
Tip-shovel rocker does nothing to improve striding/climbing efficiency at XC speeds-
In fact, the rocker creates glide resistance by presenting a wider surface area that is initiating trail breaking (plus it presents a shorter glide/grip surface when climbing).
The Ingstad is a good deep snow XC ski because of its stiff, stable flex- but it is not as efficient as the non-rockered NATO ski in pure XC mode.
(The rocker certainly encourages planing and facilitates turn initiation at DOWNHILL speeds)
1. This topic (3D snow and Rocker) has already been covered in other posts;
2. When I think of “wider,” I am visualizing something different that what @lilcliffy is describing above, so, in case it’s useful for anyone trying to understand how different skis work in deeper snow and how rocker affects that, I’ll just say the same thing a different way:

A ski with rocker (AKA “Nordic Rocker?”), like the Ingstad, or Otto Sverdrup, or others, where the front of the ski bends up fairly easily (instead of being more firm / stiff like the Amundsen), ends up creating a “ramp” that the ski wants to slide backwards on, creating resistance to forward progress. That’s why stiffer skis (to a limit) are more efficient in deeper snow. See crude drawing, below.
(In the picture, the ski is below the top surface of the snow.)
A53E324B-29C3-41CB-B0B4-8EFE5976FAB8.jpeg
And, just for the heck of it, a too stiff ski, like a classic / track race ski, where the camber is so stiff, it forces the tip to dive down in the snow.
D8788FC6-433D-4E09-A85A-026FBD9E025A.jpeg

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:49 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:08 pm
That does not seem like much; maybe the snow was very heavy?
It was a mid-March storm in central NY - so yes, fairly heavy.

my point about getting *any* glide was to contrast the OP’s “stepping motion” described.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:47 pm

Here is my take on rocker and 3d snow. In addition to turning right and left, skis can be made to go up and down in the snow. Generally speaking, the wider and more surface area you have the quicker you can make those up down moves and at lower speeds. The rocker just gives a ski more ability to move vertically in the snowpack than a ski of the same width. ( the rocker helps brings you up, gravity brings you down)

As far as for trail breaking, I'd rather have a rockered ski too. I like it for climbing and K&G too. For climbing it is less of the slippery surface on the snow giving better grip. I also get better glide, because it's easier to unweight my tips. Funny thing, by weighting your heels you get better grip and better glide.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:42 pm

So, am i giving bad advice here?

It was my impression that a rockered ski can lead to “the dreaded pool cover syndrome” in deeper snow.
Where the tips and tails are flexible to the point that they don’t well support a skier’s weight in deeper snow, letting the middle of the ski sink deeper than the tips and tails, making it more difficult to move forward?

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:09 am

^^^^^^^^^ Yup!......205-215 e 99 is pretty good for breaking....We break wax trails....That means low angle switchbacks and rarely any steepness....Once broken the up trail can be fun....As in looking around and seeing what is happening around the High Ridges...TM

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:10 am

I don't know Stephen, your advice may be good for the more narrow skis. My thinnest rockered ski is the Vector at around 96mm and I don't get that pool cover effect.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:26 am

My original FT was rockered and did the pool cover in deeper snow. My new one is absolutely stable. It’s about the flex of the ski and how the rocker is incorporated into the flex.
Take the Gamme it has rocker, but the the ski has one smooth, supportive arc. Fully loaded on soft, deep, snow you can’t point out where the rocker is. The ski only has a smooth arc. In a few inches of dust, the rocker is quite evident.
So I don’t see rocker as a problem if it is engineered as part of a supportive flex pattern. If the flex rocker has a different personality from the rest of the ski you have a problem. If the ski is too soft longitudinally you have a problem. However rocker or not, if a ski has a smooth supportive flex that’s about all you can ask for, and maybe an old school tip. After that it’s just if you have the surface area, and long and skinny pushes easier than short and fat. However there are limits to that last analogy.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am

corlay wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:49 pm
stilltryin wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:08 pm
That does not seem like much; maybe the snow was very heavy?
It was a mid-March storm in central NY - so yes, fairly heavy.

my point about getting *any* glide was to contrast the OP’s “stepping motion” described.
I think I was a bit surprised that you described K&G as "just fine," and then said 12" of glide.
I'm no expert in these matters, but that seemed not so fine to me. Maybe 12" is considered fine when breaking trail in deep snow? Wondering what others might think. (Maybe I'm way off -- happy to be schooled.)