VT woods setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
wrsamuels

VT woods setup?

Post by wrsamuels » Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:04 pm

Hello, Hello,

New to this forum, first post. Apologies if my searches were not deep enough to find the answer to this already.

I am looking for any thoughts on ski/bindings/boots for tooling around in the VT mountains. More context and background:

I have experience with recreational XC skiing, generally on track. I own some skate skis and some relatively wide classic skis. I also have spent significant time alpine touring (stiff plastic boots with tech bindings driving heavy skis), mostly out west. I just moved east about three years ago.

I naturally came to the conclusion that something in between my XC and AT setups will be a sweet spot for the general terrain. I live near a ski hill, so will use the AT setup for any laps there. I am really interested in exploring some terrain with a setup more in line with what I am discovering is called XCD! Honestly, making the transition from Jackson Hole, to VT has me wondering about a setup that will just make everything more exciting/fun!

I know I want metal-edge, waxless with an option to throw on some type of skin. I am planning on starting with my dad's old asolo 75mm boots, so will be going with a three-pin binding to start. My walking/skiing will largely be short (1-2 hrs) but likely adventurous and seeking some fun downs. However, I am looking for something just fun and easy on the downs, remember I have a light AT setup for real missions. Most of the time I will have my dog. I will need a ski that navigates uphills, of piste well and the tight trees of the area. Looking for something that can handle the range of snow conditions I will encounter. Thinking in the range of 70ish-90ish underfoot, but don't really care about this.

The one area I am stumped on is length. I am 5'11" and probably 165lbs geared up. If I want something that can navigate the trees on the down, how short do I go before sacrificing too much length?

I have seen/heard that Asnes skis seem to be the jam. I also know Fischer, Rossi and Mashus have some good options. I also stumbled upon the Altai Hok's and Kom's. Had me wondering if I think about the Hok's and that cool Tiak stick! Looks like fun. Too slow on the down though?

Any thoughts? Any direction? Thanks in advance for the recommendations!!!

エイダン.シダル

Re: VT woods setup?

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:03 am

I haven't used either Altai, and though I was once interested, I wouldn't buy the Hoks now. Slow, and not necessary for the snow I get. I'm in Southern Ontario. You certainly get more snow, but not often western powder. The Koms on 3-pins might be interesting... Probably overkill: "The Kōm can be skied with a downhill focus..." They are very wide.

I haven't skied trail in Vermont, just Jay and Killington years back, alpine. However, I've skied up Marcy in the Adirondacks. I found the biggest challenge narrow trails downhill, at speed. It's not like one can carve Telemark turns... I'd take my waxless Fischer 88s there, over my wax Gammes: shorter, fatter, more reliable grip. Ingstads if Åsnes?

You could throw lots of money at a ski, but if you're using used boots, you might as well look around online for a used, wide-ish waxless Nordic. Even if you have to pull off other bindings and fill those holes. If you're very lucky you'll find used Fischer with short skins. You're unlikely to find used Åsnes here.

I really don't like crown skis (raised waxless), or waxless much at all: like to go fast, hate the sound of waxless.
However, Ontario doesn't have much of the pitch you have. For that, I've found the non-raised waxless with Vauhti liquid grip wax to take me anywhere, no issues.
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:17 am, edited 7 times in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:05 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you are looking to have fun on the downhills skiing the woods I would recommend the Kom (not Hok) or voile ski like the ultra vector. In soft snow you may get by with the old Asolos but I use a scarpa T4 which is a light plastic boot for touring which will accommodate a wider range of deteriorating conditions.

The Kom and Voile skis have fishscales for kick and glide but if you are a kick wax guy there are many other skis to look at. Possible even a ski you already own.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 am

Like a broken record, is I......But cruising Vermont BC has a Ritcheas ski......E99's.....They cruise up down and all around....get good on them and they make the most exquisite arcs.....get them long....minimum 200....but again a 210 to a 215 makes for incredible cruising....instead of wider go longer.....in for a penny in for a pound.....make a clean break and go for a wild ride....TM

wrsamuels

Post by wrsamuels » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:48 am

Got it, thanks all.

I do not have experience with wax. Seems like most people who are into this prefer wax over waxless?

I am inclined to stay away from wax to keep things simple...but can be convinced. I'd maybe rather have waxless +skins if needed.

Lowangle al - are you suggesting waxing an alpine ski?

wrsamuels

Post by wrsamuels » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:49 am

エイダン.シダル - Which Fischer 88's are you talking about?
エイダン.シダル wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:03 am
I haven't used either Altai, and though I was once interested, I wouldn't buy the Hoks now. Slow, and not necessary for the snow I get. I'm in Southern Ontario. You certainly get more snow, but not often western powder. The Koms on 3-pins might be interesting... Probably overkill: "The Kōm can be skied with a downhill focus..." They are very wide.

I haven't skied trail in Vermont, just Jay and Killington years back, alpine. However, I've skied up Marcy in the Adirondacks. I found the biggest challenge narrow trails downhill, at speed. It's not like one can carve Telemark turns... I'd take my waxless Fischer 88s there, over my wax Gammes: shorter, fatter, more reliable grip. Ingstads if Åsnes?

You could throw lots of money at a ski, but if you're using used boots, you might as well look around online for a used, wide-ish waxless Nordic. Even if you have to pull off other bindings and fill those holes. If you're very lucky you'll find used Fischer with short skins. You're unlikely to find used Åsnes here.

I really don't like crown skis (raised waxless), or waxless much at all: like to go fast, hate the sound of waxless.
However, Ontario doesn't have much of the pitch you have. For that, I've found the non-raised waxless with Vauhti liquid grip wax to take me anywhere, no issues.

wrsamuels

Post by wrsamuels » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:00 am

Long for dense trees!?
greatgt wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:03 am
Like a broken record, is I......But cruising Vermont BC has a Ritcheas ski......E99's.....They cruise up down and all around....get good on them and they make the most exquisite arcs.....get them long....minimum 200....but again a 210 to a 215 makes for incredible cruising....instead of wider go longer.....in for a penny in for a pound.....make a clean break and go for a wild ride....TM

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm

wrsamuels wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:00 am
Long for dense trees!?
greatgt wrote:
I love the way everyone here recommends the things they love every time! Heh.

So I'm going to recommend Nansen or Ingstad skis from Åsnes.

Both come in waxless versions, both are great with short skins, both come at 195cm which is a good length for you by the official Åsnes table if 75kg is you + your pack, both are ridiculously good fun.

(Waxing for the backcountry is pretty easy, though... once you've got it right once you'll never go back.)

wrsamuels

Post by wrsamuels » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 pm

Thanks Musk Ox! I had my eye on the nansens.

What is your backcountry waxing program? How easy are we talking? Do you still ever use skins? aren't skins on waxed skis a no go?
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm
wrsamuels wrote:
Long for dense trees!?
greatgt wrote:

Both come in waxless versions, both are great with short skins, both come at 195cm which is a good length for you by the official Åsnes table if 75kg is you + your pack, both are ridiculously good fun.

(Waxing for the backcountry is pretty easy, though... once you've got it right once you'll never go back.)

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:00 pm

wrsamuels wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:52 pm
Thanks Musk Ox! I had my eye on the nansens.

What is your backcountry waxing program? How easy are we talking? Do you still ever use skins? aren't skins on waxed skis a no go?
Musk Ox wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:26 pm
wrsamuels wrote:
Long for dense trees!?

Wax and skins are the best!

My waxing programme is pretty rustic, scraping and re-rubbing and not really worrying too much. You can survive where I ski with Blue Extra, Violet and Red and some skins really.

I use skins all the time for climbing and pulling and for when waxing's hard (temperatures close to zero and the snow's shit).

Skins on wax are fine, as long as you use blue or harder.

Nansens are awesome.