Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Re: Physics debate

Post by connyro » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:55 am

Well that's it folks. GS has decided that my skis and bindings don't work the way they should anymore. The tip pressure that I used to generate on the trailing ski doesn't exist anymore. Not sure where all that
shin pressure on the boot cuff is going but since GS is a condescending internet expert on skiing, I've got to go with his obvious expertise. Now ive got to relearn telemark turns where bindings are totally neutral even though the heel cable seems to be providing resistance when I lift said heel. Weird I know but GS said the physics are airtight

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:01 am

There is no torque. Torque is the product of unequal forces. The cable forces sum to zero.

The cable almost certainly provides resistance. So what your feeling is likely that, not force.

So your senses are not failing you. There is definitely resistance in that linkage.
Last edited by GrimSurfer on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:03 am

Thank you Martin, I was going to offer a similar suggestion. Let's see how this goes.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:07 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:01 am
There is no torque. Torque is the product of unequal forces. The cable forces sum to zero.
What? You think a force and a lever do not create torque? The spring is creating a force on the binding (trying to lift the rear of the binding up), and the same but opposite force on the boot (trying to lower the boot heel), so it does not move, that's fully correct. But the force on the binding is creating torque on the binding, and the force on the boot is creating torque on the boot. Again, nothing moves, because the ground is creating opposite torque on the binding (via the ski), and the skier weight is creating opposite torque to the boot.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
The cable almost certainly provides resistance. So what your feeling is likely that, not force.
That "cable resistance" is not a force? :shock:

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:18 am

I don't mind a good debate or a fair amount of back and forth when people try to get their point across, but unfortunately GS doesn't mind throwing out insults when he is challenged.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:23 am

We hold these truths to be self evident. Skis can rise in the snow and cables produce tip pressure. If this doesn't jive with some rules of physics, you must be looking at the wrong rules.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:27 am

Verskis wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 am
GrimSurfer wrote:
Not a productive force.

Let me put it another way…

My knees are stiff. There is resistance in knee joint articulation. Does this mean I can leg press any better?
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:29 am

GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:27 am
Verskis wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:09 am
GrimSurfer wrote:
Not a productive force.

Let me put it another way…

My knees are stiff. There is resistance in knee joint articulation. Does this mean I can leg press any better?
You don't get it.

JohnSKepler
Ski style: XCBCD
Favorite Skis: Voile Objective BC, Rossignol BC 80
Favorite boots: Scarpa F1 Bellows, Alpina Alaska XP

Post by JohnSKepler » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:42 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:26 am
Hi,

I am just starting this new thread so that the “fights” over physics can be discussed in a specific thread and stop derailing other threads. It is really becoming annoying…

Thank you!

Martin
Well I just happen to be a physicist and rocket scientist so that makes me the final authority here. Thanks. In my 30 years of professional work I have discovered there are actually a few things to which physics, as we mere mortals understand it, do not apply:
1) Bo Jackson,
2) Leo Messi,
3) professional trials motorcycle riders, and
4) all things skiing

What DOES work is the ‘friend/foe’ setting in your control panel. Works quite well.
Last edited by JohnSKepler on Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veni, Vidi, Viski