Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Physics debate

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:36 pm

fisheater wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:12 pm
This entire thread GS is because you’re to proud to listen to people that understand.
Really? Is that what you conclude after my last long post in which I lay out the components of the binding, the function of the human foot, the movement of the binding, cable and boot?

I’m open to a detailed explanation to support whatever views you hold, provided they take into account laws of physics (which aren’t an idea that I all of a sudden dreamed up) and the design/movement of a 3 pin binding with a cable.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:39 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:31 pm
Oh, while different ballgame with an active binding. For sure.
Bullshit
Physics is physics and a horse’s backside is a horse’s backside

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:59 pm

@Nitram Tocrut

Complete post, all to do with physics

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5450&start=40#p54508

Response from the gallery:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5450&start=60#p54523

Whatever churn has surrounded this issue has had nothing to do with physics. Not really.

It was a noble effort though. I do appreciate you trying to focus the debate on physics…
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:08 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
A cable binding is an “Active binding.”
To what degree depends on how much resistance the cable offers to lifting the heel off the ski.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:13 pm

Stephen wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:08 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
To what degree depends on how much resistance the cable offers to lifting the heel off the ski.
Stephen, I appreciate your patient and informed responses. Well done.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm

Stephen wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:
You will recall, though, that all of my comments have been restricted on NN 75mm 3 pin bindings. (I highlighted this specifically in the preamble to my last long post by including a picture of the exact type of binding I was talking about).

I have offered no views to date on truly active bindings… i.e. those which allow longitudinal boot movement through any kind of sliding plate or hinge. Different fish.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:32 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:16 pm
Stephen wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:
You will recall, though, that all of my comments have been restricted on NN 75mm 3 pin bindings. (I highlighted this specifically in the preamble to my last long post by including a picture of the exact type of binding I was talking about).

I have offered no views to date on truly active bindings… i.e. those which allow longitudinal boot movement through any kind of sliding plate or hinge. Different fish.
Liar,liar, pants on fire! This entire conversation has revolved on whether a cable allowed the skier to pressure the front of the ski.

I’m not patient, you exhausted my patience.

I know you’re still right! With your arrogant comments about how experienced skiers explaining cable bindings assisted the skier in pressuring the front of the ski, didn’t understand physics!

Why don’t admit you didn’t understand the dynamics?

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 pm

I am having a distinct sense of “deja vu” reading this train wreck of a thread. The old Telemarktips was a wonderful resource for advice, trip reports, hooking up with ski partners and just all around good banter. Then every so often someone would come along with a post, which provoked a s**t show and the original poster would stand firm and it would cycle on and eventually die out. All I know is, when I raise my heel, sink and edge the rear ski I feel a bite on the snow which helps carve the turn.

connyro

Post by connyro » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:34 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Stephen wrote:
GrimSurfer wrote:

G, any cable binding is "active". 3pin cable, 3pin hardwire, etc are active bindings. Even stiff 3pin boots in burley 3pin bindings can be "active" to some degree. You've got this wrong so just stop.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:35 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
This picture?
@Anyone, correct me if I’m mistaken, but this is an active binding, whether you know it or not.
Sliding plate or hinge” has nothing to do with this and may be a mistaken assumption on your part.
4CD66135-FC0E-48E6-ADA3-05DF4A7E76AC.jpeg