Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Re: Physics debate

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:45 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:40 pm
With the lead ski you can get more weight on the front of ski by putting more weight on your toe than your heel. Even without a cable you are getting some forward weighting (tip pressure) on your ski because you are weighting the ski forward of boot center.

So believe it or not you are getting some tip pressure on every turn with a properly weighted rear ski.
So how do you explain the photos recently posted that shows very little pressure (if any) on the front quarter of the ski?

And how do you explain comments like this?
Johnny wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:04 pm

But hey, who cares about cables and flexors? The truth is, I have 5 pairs of XP skis and I have completely removed the flexors on all of them. Never felt so free on skis before! (The anti-ice plates do help a bit to prevent snow buildup...)

Grace, technique and finesse, not cables, springs and flexors! 8-)
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 pm

What I just said supports what Johnny just said and visa versa.

As far as the photo. I wouldn't expect snow to be flying off the tip of the ski. Just maybe an inch or two more forward than it would be without loading the tip.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:15 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 pm
As far as the photo. I wouldn't expect snow to be flying off the tip of the ski. Just maybe an inch or two more forward than it would be without loading the tip.
I’ll buy that. It’s a reasonable proposition.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:27 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:45 pm
lowangle al wrote:
With the lead ski you can get more weight on the front of ski by putting more weight on your toe than your heel. Even without a cable you are getting some forward weighting (tip pressure) on your ski because you are weighting the ski forward of boot center.

So believe it or not you are getting some tip pressure on every turn with a properly weighted rear ski.
So how do you explain the photos recently posted that shows very little pressure (if any) on the front quarter of the ski?
@GrimSurfer seems to be commenting on the lead, front ski.
@lowangle al is talking about the rear ski.
If you look at the photo, yes, the front ski looks to be weighted or engaged the most under his foot.
But, if you look at the rear ski, it sure looks like that ski has contact with the snow all the way up to the tip of the ski.
(Again, let’s not get hung up on semantics. I could say shovel of the ski, front quarter of the ski, front of the ski, …).
Any binding that resists raising the heel of the boot, whether by a flexor, or a cable, etc. is going to cause additional pressure on the front part of the ski. I hope this is obvious. The concept is that of a fulcrum.
This action only occurs on the rear ski, because the heel of the boot on that ski is raised, unlike the lead ski.
F7E4EDA6-192F-43A2-B96A-953E11A96194.jpeg

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:33 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:27 pm
@GrimSurfer seems to be commenting on the lead, front ski.
@lowangle al is talking about the rear ski.
If you look at the photo, yes, the front ski looks to be weighted or engaged the most under his foot.
But, if you look at the rear ski, it sure looks like that ski has contact with the snow all the way up to the tip of the ski.
(Again, let’s not get hung up on semantics. I could say shovel of the ski, front quarter of the ski, front of the ski, …).
Any binding that resists raising the heel of the boot, whether by a flexor, or a cable, etc. is going to cause additional pressure on the front part of the ski. I hope this is obvious. The concept is that of a fulcrum.
This action only occurs on the rear ski, because the heel of the boot on that ski is raised, unlike the lead ski.
F7E4EDA6-192F-43A2-B96A-953E11A96194.jpeg
Read his post.

I’ve added bold font so you won’t miss it.
lowangle al wrote:
With the lead ski you can get more weight on the front of sk by putting more weight on your toe than your heel. Even without a cable you are getting some forward weighting (tip pressure)on your ski because you are weighting the ski forward of boot center.
:roll:

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:53 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:33 pm
I’ve added bold font so you won’t miss it.
lowangle al wrote:
With the lead ski you can get more weight on the front of sk by putting more weight on your toe than your heel. Even without a cable you are getting some forward weighting (tip pressure)on your ski because you are weighting the ski forward of boot center.
:roll:
He was talking about both the lead ski and rear ski in his post.
I think you mixed the two of them up?
You seem to ignore the part of my post referencing the rear ski and the effect the cable binding is having on pressuring the front of the ski?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:25 pm

Whatever there is to be said about telerocks skiing does not take away from the fact that he looks pretty cool in that vest.

You don't need perfect form if you are pretty well centered, which I think he is.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:40 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:25 pm
Whatever there is to be said about telerocks skiing does not take away from the fact that he looks pretty cool in that vest.

You don't need perfect form if you are pretty well centered, which I think he is.
Plus shorts and moustache. What happened to style? Maybe that's why telemark popularity ain't what it used to be--no emphasis on style in today's yutes.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm

Chicks were really into hairy chests and facial hair back then. Now all you need is a shiny new pair of T4s and they're all over ya.

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm
Chicks were really into hairy chests and facial hair back then. Now all you need is a shiny new pair of T4s and they're all over ya.
Guess I am out of the loop. I only want to ski--stylishly--in leathers and suspenders and twisty moustache.