Physics debate

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Physics debate

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:00 pm

mca80 wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:34 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:29 pm
Chicks were really into hairy chests and facial hair back then. Now all you need is a shiny new pair of T4s and they're all over ya.
Guess I am out of the loop. I only want to ski--stylishly--in leathers and suspenders and twisty moustache.
Suspenders actually help in unweighting, that's why I wear em.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:10 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:00 pm
mca80 wrote:
lowangle al wrote:
Chicks were really into hairy chests and facial hair back then. Now all you need is a shiny new pair of T4s and they're all over ya.
Guess I am out of the loop. I only want to ski--stylishly--in leathers and suspenders and twisty moustache.
That’s actually the same principle.

Weigh yourself. Then ratchet up your suspenders until your voice goes up an octave. Get back on the scales.

You might be stepping on your tip toes in attempt to reduce the pain, but your weight will be exactly the same.

No net force. Just tension.

Newton was a genius.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

TallGrass

Post by TallGrass » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:59 pm

mca80 wrote:
lowangle al wrote:
Some notes on leather for those not used to it.

It's a natural material (skin; requires care) with a higher thermal capacity, though quite durable. Think of it like Nature's Light Metal, in that it can get hot in the sun, freezing in the cold, and if impregnated with H20 (liquid or vapor from perspiration) it will freeze stiff/solid given the chance.

I have some leather-palm mitten shells and they can "wet out" from the inside through my wool liners. Never lay them on the ground/snow, rather tuck them in your coat against your chest when you need to remove them, or put in inner drop pockets (stomach) to stow, not in your pack if not totally dry.

The may break wind, but they do not insulate. SnowSeal, mink oil, ... some treatment is necessary, and the type of thread used to sew them can be a factor -- cotton is cheap and common, nylon and poly' is better IMHO and should be used for any repair. Never dry it by a fire or heat over 100F (37C) -- slow-n-low like BBQ, don't "nuke it in the micro".

It's not an appliance like fabrics where you can put it away and deal with it later. I needs to be stored clean and dry, AND "moisturized" to avoid it breaking down like dry skin. It can be preserved, but not "revived" as once the fibers break they don't re-glue any more than rawhide re-bonds to itself.

If using for a nose guard or sun visor (side of sunglasses), I'd recommend suede instead.

So why use it?
It has great abrasion resistance when thick enough (vs. dress leather for show), will stretch to "learn" the best fit within reason, and has decent grip making it a decent choice for the palms of mitts and gloves. When treated and dry, I've found it remains more pliable than rubber/plastics in the cold. I like wool or wool-nylon liners with it, and recommend a back up "hand-system" in case it gets soaked or frozen when venturing a ways from shelter -- actually I suggest that regardless of materials in case wind blows one a way or something gets wetted out.

I'll let others opine on mustaches... because this site needs another wax thread.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:10 pm

mca80 wrote:
lowangle al wrote:
Let’s have a moment of silence for the shorts with long johns style………
OK, back to physics

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm

GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:10 pm
lowangle al wrote:
mca80 wrote:

Weigh yourself. Then ratchet up your suspenders until your voice goes up an octave. Get back on the scales.

You might be stepping on your tip toes in attempt to reduce the pain, but your weight will be exactly the same.

Newton was a genius.
Obviously you've never done jump turns. Can't do em with your pants fallin down.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:27 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:29 pm
GrimSurfer wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:10 pm
lowangle al wrote:

Newton was a genius.
Obviously you've never done jump turns. Can't do em with your pants fallin down.
Can’t jump higher because you have a wedgie either.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.

DG99

Post by DG99 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am

Ok, we have tested free pivot vs cable on our physics apparatus. Video proof uploaded to YouTube.

tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Post by tkarhu » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 am

DG99 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am
Ok, we have tested free pivot vs cable on our physics apparatus. Video proof uploaded to YouTube.

Thanks for the video @DG99. For me, this looks like great evidence, but I guess there may be other opinions, too :D

Transplantskier
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Nansen WL
Favorite boots: Crispi Stetind

Post by Transplantskier » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 am

So many nods to "physics" in this never-ending thread, but I'm curious after 44 pages how well all the physics explainers actually understand the concepts they're basing arguments on.

Any chance that the people who have offered adamant physics-based facts/opinions (the line seems kinda blurry in this thread) could let us know what their qualifications/competencies within the field actually are?

My physics qualifications are zero, but I suspect some serious cherry picking of concepts to support "facts" in this thread.

GrimSurfer

Post by GrimSurfer » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:23 am

DG99 wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 am

I just knew that when you used the term “physics apparatus” that it would be something ridiculous.

How did you account for variables in weight shift? I don’t see an inclinometer.

How did you measure differences in force? I don’t see any load sensors (aka weight scales).

Why did you use poles? It adds other uncontrolled variables.

Any test of your null hypothesis? Didn’t think so.

Without controls and a clear method (including testing the null), it’s not a credible experiment. And it certainly doesn’t come even remotely close to demonstrating that Newton’s Laws of physics don’t apply to skiing (a notion that is so utterly preposterous that it beggars belief).

You’ve done nothing more than put on a show and demonstrate that which on which we agree: That a skier can apply mass to the front of a ski by shifting weight forward.