Åsnes Gamme

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Åsnes Gamme

Post by fisheater » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:07 pm

@riel its because Gamme are fast! This is a serious problem when you require a rock ski to take Gamme’s place. Gamme sets the bar high, however I know how fast I “should” be going. I am now on my 3rd rock ski since I have been skiing on Gamme. However I have snow, and despite being immediately mounted and waxed the “new” skis can wait for conditions to deteriorate.
You will find this is a real problem!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:17 pm

riel wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:06 pm
OK, I have only taken my Gamme skis out three times so far, and on pretty hard compacted snow on a local farm field that gets groomed. I have noticed that the Gamme skis go a lot faster than my Sondres, E99 and E89 class skis, or any other ski I have, for that matter.

Strava says the first time I took these skis out, I set my fastest and second-fastest times around one of the farm fields. The second time I took them out, I blew that second-fastest time out of the water, setting new 2nd and 3rd place records for myself.

Is it because of the relatively light weight? Is it the camber? Is it the stiff flex? Is it because he's looking at me, encouraging and/or judging me? You be the judge!
dang...i gotta get some Gamme.. please, Asnes...change the graphics. lol.

asnes are very fast skis. my MT51 is so fast I probably need to wear pads and helmet. I have to actually slow down when I'm going downhill...I get very scared.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sat Mar 05, 2022 1:49 pm

There’s not much I can add to the comments about the Gammes that hasn’t already been said- they’re a damn fine ski. I did a long day in them yesterday in all kinds of terrain and they kept delivering. I honestly wish that I had this as my first ski.

grizz_bait

Post by grizz_bait » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:22 pm

I had one of the most joyful days of skiing ever in the backyard hills the other day. 4-5 inches of dry, light, crystalline powder over a solid melt-freeze layer, 18 degrees at the car. Skied old logging roads and hiking trails, absolutely flew through the woods with Swix Blue. 200 cm were a great choice, although it would be interesting to try the 210. I do think they might be too long for me though, unless wearing a heavy pack.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:21 pm

HOT DAMN, I GOTS ME THE GREEN MAN!!!

Okay, I know I don’t need two pairs of Gammes but I always regretted not grabbing the Green Man when I had the chance (missed out twice). Fortunately for me Theme saw the post I made regarding that regret and contacted me about a pair that were for sale in Finland. They showed up today (mounted with Magnums) and they’re quite spectacular. Got out for an hour on them and they’re every bit as enjoyable as the Teal Man (quite a bit faster actually due to the glide wax on them compared to tip to tail Polar on Teal Man- predictably they don’t grip on grades quite as well). Looks like I’ve got cold weather/warm weather Gammes now 😁

Thanks Theme, I deeply appreciate you taking care of the logistics getting them here.

https://media.tenor.com/AQ0IQs_9GegAAAA ... he-man.gif

YooperXC
Ski style: Classic XC
Favorite Skis: Transnordic 66, Excursion 88, and ???
Occupation: Fishing, Kayak Fishing, BWCA trips, Skiing....and working to pay for it all.

Post by YooperXC » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm

Reading all of the praise for the Gamme makes me want a pair.

My E99 tours are fast, fun, and real joy to ski. I will have to buy a pair Gammes if they are superior to the E99, I cannot seem to find the Game in 210 cm anywhere. Asnes did confirm via email that the Gammes are still in production, but they would not comment on when the next batch would be manufactured.

I will continue to enjoy my E99's for the rest of season.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:48 pm

YooperXC wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:32 pm
Reading all of the praise for the Gamme makes me want a pair.

My E99 tours are fast, fun, and real joy to ski. I will have to buy a pair Gammes if they are superior to the E99, I cannot seem to find the Game in 210 cm anywhere. Asnes did confirm via email that the Gammes are still in production, but they would not comment on when the next batch would be manufactured.

I will continue to enjoy my E99's for the rest of season.
The E99 is a great ski, too. I have some 20 year old E99 skis, with the round, supportive "E99 tour" flex, and they are a total blast in manky snow. I am considering getting a second, waxable pair.

However, the Gamme is much stiffer underfoot than those E99 tour skis, and has a much stiffer tip as well.

If you have a modern (BCX or Xtralite) generation E99, then you probably have almost similar stiffness underfoot, but the Gamme also has a stiff tip, which makes the ski harder to use in tracks, but more stable in fresh snow and breakable crust.

Enjoy your E99, and don't feel a big hurry to get a Gamme. They're both great in their own ways.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:40 am

I am glad @riel made that post. I really like my Gamme, I’m a big fan. However there is a lot of great terrain in the UP, a different type of ski would extend your fun. A Gamme is so similar to that E-99.

grizz_bait

Post by grizz_bait » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 am

I’ve had a lot of alternating days this season skiing on Gamme and Fischer T78s and I’ve come to an interesting conclusion: the T78s are faster than the Gamme. What?! I don’t understand this. I’m around 78 kg and skiing the 200 cm Gamme, and 199 cm T78.

What gives? I’ve been kick waxing from the skin insertion point (snake bite) to just behind the heel plate of the binding. I am thinking about extending the kick wax zone forward to the beginning of the script on the bottom to give the ski more traction on the kick. Perhaps that’s all I need to do.

Side note: on this forum lots of folks consider the wax pocket to be the beginning of the snake bite to the heel. On a card test, however, the wax pocket is a good deal farther up towards the tip of the ski. Also, the scale pattern on fish scale skis extends roughly to this same point. I often wonder if the script on the bottom of the ski is strategically placed by Åsnes to delineate a rough idea of where one should apply kick wax.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:47 pm

grizz_bait wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:07 am
I’ve had a lot of alternating days this season skiing on Gamme and Fischer T78s and I’ve come to an interesting conclusion: the T78s are faster than the Gamme. What?! I don’t understand this. I’m around 78 kg and skiing the 200 cm Gamme, and 199 cm T78.

What gives?
I suspect a lot depends on snow conditions, too.

The T78 has a higher camber, which means the middle of the kick zone may release better from more 3 dimensional snow than the lower camber Gamme. In slightly different snow conditions, the Gamme is likely to be faster.

If you are doing steeper climbs, a lower effort traction pattern may save you energy, and allow you to go faster than a ski where you need to do more precise kick and glide.

Also, the 199cm T78 might simply be stiffer, made for heavier people than the 200cm Gamme. The same weight class flex in the Gamme might be a 210cm length.