Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:00 pm

Nice scenery @Chriso Was it around Meråker?

I was at Oppdal this weekend. Saturday we skied Storhornet, me on Falketind and Alfa Free, the rest on plastic. It was cold and windy with -15C and strong breeze, so bare skin got cold very fast, especially near and at the top of Storhornet.
Storhornet_Feb_2024.jpg

Sunday was much warmer and less windy, so we went to Roksdalskammen. Uninteresting view from top:
Roksdalskammen_Feb2024.jpg

Chriso

Post by Chriso » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:25 pm

@telerat yes the pictures abow is from Meråker, close to a lake called Fjergen. From you're photos it looks like the snow was deacent even on the peaks. Allso I can feel the cold in the first picture.
Norway, Trøndelag
Gamme 54
Rabb 68

telerat
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.

Post by telerat » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:52 pm

The peaks were ice/hard snow, but we found nice snow not far below the top on both peaks. It was dependent on which face we chose. Unfortunately I have no pictures from the descents.

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:08 pm

I love seeing pictures from Norway. Since the focus of the “Picture Gallery” has shifted in that direction, I’ll throw in a few of my own from last season.

Gaustatoppen, Telemark (Province)
The good citizens of Telemark get emotional when they see the Gausta Mountain – a bit like the Japanese with their Mount Fuji. This view from the south-facing slopes high above Rjukan, looking across Vestfjorddalen.
Gaustatoppen copy.jpg
Telemark (Rjukan)
A genuine “Telemark” race: “Telemark’s Oldest Tour-Race” (since 1934), first weekend in March.
Gaustaløpet copy.jpg
Telemark (Rauland)
Looking north from Rauland across Møsvatn (lake) towards the Hardanger Plateau (Hardangervidda).
From Rauland copy.jpg
Hellevassbu DNT, Hardangervidda (Vestland Province, just north of the Telemark border)
Sadly, this self-service cabin is earmarked for permanent closure, along with a number of others, and the main ski-routes to it/them will no longer be marked. Reason is to allow the wild reindeer undisturbed passage to grazing grounds in western Hardangervidda, which they currently tend to avoid due to human interference.
Hellevassbu copy.jpg

Jurassien
Ski style: Nordic touring; Alpine touring
Favorite Skis: Too many!

Post by Jurassien » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:31 pm

A few more, from a different area in Norway – much further to the north:

Breheimen Mountains, Sota Sæter (DNT Cabin)
The dinky little cabin where I spent the night. The rucksack, skis/poles are there for scale – you had to stoop very low to get through the doorway which is not much higher than the ski poles (adjusted to 130cm).
Sota Cabin copy.jpg
Breheimen
The onward route from Sota Sæter ascends 830m to the glacier pass (Fortundalsbreen) to the left of the dome-shaped mountain (Tverrådalskyrkja).
Sota Sæter towards glacier.jpg
Breheimen
Approaching the glacier pass
Approaching glacier pass copy.jpg
Breheimen
Looking back down along the ascent route. Sota Sæter is at the near end of the lake.
What goes up....... copy.jpg
Breheimen
Two tiny figures far below and on the route ahead of me crossing Storevatnet (lake) on the way to Sognefjellet.
Storevatnet #1.jpg
Breheimen
Fannaråki Group in the morning light. View from Sognefjellshytta.
Fannaråki Group copy.jpg

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:25 pm

👍❗️

The GCW
Ski style: Alpine, Alpine B.C. Nordic B.C.

Post by The GCW » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:41 pm

I joined TELEMARK TALK a few years ago now.

It's been a good and important place to help move from scales to wax & there is a LOT to be said about that. -It's why I'm here.

Yet, Pictures, pictures and pictures! ,,, is an awesome place which I always will come to.

Thank You, everyone.

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:03 pm

How do you like the Rabb? I've been wondering where they fit on the spectrum of XC to downhill performance and how they compared to other XCD skis like the s-bound 98s.

telerat

Post by telerat » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:25 am

JB TELE wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:03 pm
How do you like the Rabb? I've been wondering where they fit on the spectrum of XC to downhill performance and how they compared to other XCD skis like the s-bound 98s.
Check out his thread on choosing the ski: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic. ... =40#p67606
Perhaps @Chriso will also add to that or to the Rabb/Falketind comparison thread: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4916
@lilcliffy also has experience with the Rabb, as well as Falketind 62 X. Perhaps there should be a new Rabb review, as I believe it has changed quite a bit from the old model which has its own review: https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2244

Let us keep this thread for pictures with short descriptions of were they are from, and perhaps how conditions was and/or what gear was used.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:59 am

Here some norway fjellski tour pictures of the Sylan massif, 1.5 hours drive from Trondheim.
In no particular order, the pictures are from the area here
https://www.norgeskart.no/#!?project=no ... =343263.35
The tours are between Bjørneggen, Schulzhytta, Ramsjøhytta and Storerikvollen on this map. Easiest start is from Bjørneggen as the road is usually driveable at Easter.
Ramskardet.jpg
Down towards Ramsjøen.jpg
Bjørneggen-Schulzhytta.jpg
7.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg