Backcountry ski expeditioning

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Backcountry ski expeditioning

Post by bgregoire » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:13 pm

1EyedJack wrote:I'm spoiled. I like warm boots in the morning.
I know, its good, but not so good in the sleeping bag IMO. Have you tried popping your warm nalgene bottles in 'em while eating breakfast in the morning? 2x500m bottles are great for that.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

oldschool

Post by oldschool » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:45 am

From the handful of times I've been out winter camping I learned the hard way to put the boots under my feet/calves either in the bag or between the bag and sleeping pad. I suppose another creative option might be to try two nalgene bottles that are filled with very warm water before bed and put the boots with those into a bag that would help hold the heat in a little. In the morning you could put the boots under your bag to warm them up a little more. I don't really enjoy winter camping much because of some cold sleeping experiences but I tend to learn slowly so I'll probably go again at some point -

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:14 pm

As far as winter camping goes I need a tent with a wood stove in it anymore. It's nice to get some heat going before you get out of your sleeping bag. It also dries out the condensation in the tent and the moisture in your clothes.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:30 pm

For anyone interested, check out "Alaska performance backcountry skiing" It has a lot of info on long ski expeditions in Ak. on light gear.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:13 pm

lowangle al wrote:For anyone interested, check out "Alaska performance backcountry skiing" It has a lot of info on long ski expeditions in Ak. on light gear.
Great stuff on that website, thanks Lowangle al. By the way, I always modify my Black Diamond Traverse pole to take on traditional leather nordic ski pole baskets. Being wider but also "articulated" they float better over heavy powder and grap better on ice when you are K&G on the flats. The ultimate pole would also have a sharpened carbide tip providing you with better hold on ice. Never saw that on a collapsing pole.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 pm

I always modify my Black Diamond Traverse pole to take on traditional leather nordic ski pole baskets.
I do the same. I always have one pair with huge articulated baskets and one pair with homemade 3/4 baskets for harder stuff. I also always change the strap with old Kerma straps which 'release' if your pole get stuck between trees or something. An arm-saver, I couldn't without it. Not so good for K&G though...

I couldn't care less about helmets and pads, but you'll never see me without goggles and releasable pole straps... I know, it doesn't really apply to expeditions... I just wanted to talk about poles. I like poles a lot... I've been waiting for someone to start a pole thread for a long time... ; )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:50 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: I like poles a lot... I've been waiting for someone to start a pole thread for a long time... ; )
Please start one up and post some pictures of your Kerma strap mod. Sounds like a great idea but it would be helpful to see it!

StormyMonday

Post by StormyMonday » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:01 pm

I love poles too. Have my original BD advance poles and BD Traverse poles. Last week I was doing one of my bi-weekly recons at a local Goodwill and in the corner sat a set of "misfit" poles that nobody wanted, probably because they were different lengths. Yeah they were adjustable, REI Ultralight Shock absorber poles, $89 on the website, $3.99 in mint condition at Goodwill :D And since I have a fairly severe hand injury they will come in mighty handy when I'm back on skis. Love when that happens!

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:24 pm

Good deal Stormymonday.

About installing the traditional nordic baskets... what are you guys doing?
are those old style baskets available for sale?

That Alaska performance backcountry site is interesting, some different options for light bc gear/ideas.
They mention the Fischer Steel Lite, they had them ordered at their local shop.
Apparently, only 18 pair sold in North America, 13 of which were sold to that club. Funny, not too popular.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:53 pm

LooseHeel wrote:Good deal Stormymonday.

About installing the traditional nordic baskets... what are you guys doing?
are those old style baskets available for sale?

That Alaska performance backcountry site is interesting, some different options for light bc gear/ideas.
They mention the Fischer Steel Lite, they had them ordered at their local shop.
Apparently, only 18 pair sold in North America, 13 of which were sold to that club. Funny, not too popular.
By the way, fun does not always equal popular, and it often better that way!

As for the baskets, there are a lot of ways to go about it but basically you can still by new (or find on old poles) leather snow baskets. Swix makes 'em for example but they are costly. If you are a true nordic K&G kinda guy I would consider hot gluing a sharp pointed ferrule and leather basket (even over a BD traverse carbide ferrule), otherwize how can simply modify your existing plastic baskets to use as a "attachment to keep that leather, or any plastic homemade basket really, in place. For K&G and general touring, I consider the leather better as they bend more easily and thus do not impede the ferrule from "clawing" into ice, sticks, or whatever.