NNNBC-Magnum

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
MikeK

Re: NNNBC-Magnum

Post by MikeK » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:26 am

LooseHeels wrote:
What's the difference between regular NNN-BC and NNN-BC Magnum?
Width of the boot plate is the most noticeable performance advantage (also I wouldn't put magnums on too skinny a ski as that plate would be hanging way off). The latch and nose of the binding is a bit wider. I'm not sure that the internals are any beefier though. The toe bar locks and rails are surely the same size as the regular one.

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:28 am

good to know, thanks
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:32 am

The width of the base plate on the Magnum is wider (67mm), versus the regular manual/automatic (56mm).
http://www.rottefella.com/en/Products/? ... tsUnder=58

Just as a note- I am using my Alpina Alaska NNNBC as my everyday backcountry boot. I am also using it on classic track skis for skiing on the groomed track in town- during the week.

The Alaska has a moderately stiff flex- but it is designed for striding- not steering. I love it so much that I don't want to xcountry ski in any other boot- I retrofitted one of my classic track skis with an NNNBC binding so I could use my Alaska's instead of my track boots (Rossi x5).
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:45 am

interesting
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:36 pm

Once you have experienced the freedom and performance of NNN/SNS on the track- it is hard to go back to 75mm-NN!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:04 pm

LooseHeel wrote:Seems most backcountry skiers in the Gaspe are using NNN-BC or xadv.
lilcliffy... What tours have you already done? what steeper terrain are you looking into with nnn-bc?
Hey LooseHeel- meant to reply to this!

Tours in QC? Thoughout the Chic-Chocs (especially hut to hut in the Parc); Laurentians (Parc Jacques Cartier, Parc Grand-Jardins, Parc des Mont Valin, Parc du Fjord-du-Sagenuay, Charlevois area, etc.).

Also toured in many locations in Atlantic Canada (incl. NF). Did some touring in the mountains of New England many years ago.

The issue is this- my wife, in particular, has a passion for downhill skiing. In the past, when we have toured in the mtns; we have always brought equipment that allowed us to jump off just about any steep slope for a downhill run (or 2 or 3!). To date, we have used fairly rigid Nordic touring boots with 3PC bindings- so that we have the ability to steer skis when we want to.

My confession is that I rather hate touring in relatively rigid equipment...I have become obsessed with improving my ability to downhill ski on light Nordic equipment.

IMHO you cannot have rigid strength and leverage above the ankle- without sacrificing instep flexibility and extension.

IME, in order to downhill ski in boots, that are soft above the ankle- I need to stride down the hill- as opposed to steering my way down the hill.

I remain uncertain as to where the limits (terrain/snow) are of my ability to stride down a hill. I know what I can do in rigid boots/bindings- I can steer my way down the hill.

LooseHeel

Post by LooseHeel » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:05 pm

sounds interesting
Last edited by LooseHeel on Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:19 pm

Good discussion guys - tempted to throw in my 0.02 again but I'd just like to remind y'all that we should start separate threads for questions. Our reviews tend to get a little long and off topic - I'm as guilty as anyone for doing that but lets try to keep them to personal observations/feelings/findings/etc related to the original topic product. This will help future Ttalkers and lurkers extract the most info they can from them. Thanks!

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 pm

IME learning short turn is the most effective to descend safely on slopes on NNN/SNS setup.

Here is an example:
[video][/video]

I don't try to stride down often unless snow conditions are too rough because striding wears me down often.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:33 pm

CIMA-

Another awesome video!

The technique you are using in this video obviously works very well on consolidated snow. I don't see it working in deep snow. You are sliding/stemming your turns in order to keep the short turn radius. These are not carved turns. IME/IMHO this will not work in deep snow.

Do you think you can avoid striding and/or steering skis in deep snow?