Looking for the ultimate XCD ski pole

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Looking for the ultimate XCD ski pole

Post by bgregoire » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:16 pm

My Black Diamond Traverse poles just hit the dust today. Seems aluminium can only take so much beating before it breaks. Oh well. I liked them a lot but they were not perfect. Here are there pro's and con's, help me find something better!

Pros:
-good length (150cm)
-confortable wrist straps
-sturdy (though breakable it now seems)
-ajustable

Cons:
-the carbide tip is not sharp so is a pain cross-country touring on harpack or ice
-the snow baskets are small and rigid (have replaced mine with the old school leather king)
-The shape of the plastic handle is best for downhill. I shaved some plastic off to make it more XC-ski like for the long distance days.

What pole would include all the pros and better solutions for cons that I have mentioned?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Re: Looking for the ultimate XCD ski pole

Post by CIMA » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:00 am

Though I have no complaint about BD aluminum-carbon pole that I'm currently using, komperdell's series look very attractive.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm like tha Leki Air Ergo Backcountry titanium. They are light and have a xc style grip but I don't know if they are still available.

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:57 pm

I've broken the bottom parts of those BD Traverse poles in the past. I find they're ok for certain things, but kick and glide on XC skis its not one of them.

Did you know you can get a replacement for the bottom section?
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski ... l#start=23

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:39 pm

montrealer wrote: Did you know you can get a replacement for the bottom section?
http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/ski ... l#start=23
I did not know, thanks! Now if only I can find a way of getting a pair sent to Canada at a competitive price. Any ideas?

Let's keep the thread going on what could be the best xcD/XCd comprise ski pole available! I'm looking for a telescopic type, minimum 150cm!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by montrealer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I got mine (the poles, not the replacements) at Le Yeti. I don't see them on the site, but maybe call them. http://www.leyeti.ca

Also noticed MEC doesn't carry them on the site, but maybe they stock them.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:28 pm

Give them a call. You can find a 1 800 number on their site. They are very helpful. And they garantee their stuff, so, you never know. I lost some connectors for my skins: I gave them a call and they sent me some free of charge!

I have BD poles too, but I also have a non telescopic swix poles with big leather baskets: sturdy and lightweight... I love them for BC use...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:21 pm

I'm contemplating buying an extra pair of traverse pole ends, sawing off the carbide tips and hot gluing on some swix leather baskets with sharp tips i have hanging around. Since i've already altered the handles to my liking, this might actually make a very versatile, ultimate set up for myself (i also have full length non telescopic poles for when i go out on XCd day tours). I already gave sawing off the carbide bit a try on the broken pole end. cutting it off 4 cm from the carbide tip allows for a sweet connection with the swix plastic bit/basket while remove significant weight from the setup up (an ounce maybe?).

Anything better out there? :)

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:05 pm

I'm rocking the Swix Mountain poles this year and loving it! I have two pairs, both found for cheap by trolling around various sales & shops. These are way lighter than 2 or 3 section poles and heavier gauge than normal XC poles. For some reason I prefer these to my BD sectional poles, the extra length doesn't bother me on downhills.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:38 pm

Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd try to revive this one. My motivation is purely selfish - I'd like to buy some new XCD poles....

I'm eyeing the (non-telescopic) Swix Mountain poles, but would like to know folks thoughts on telescopic vs. non-telescopic. For me, the key attributes are 'backcountry-grade' strength, a true xc grip, and the right length. Telescoping is a really nice, but perhaps not necessary, feature.

What are folks using? What do you like and don't like for XCD?

Thanks.

Tom