Ski Movies

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
montrealer
Ski style: XC, XCBC, XCD, Telemark
Favorite Skis: Dynastar Legend 8000, Eon, Nansen, Ultravector BC
Favorite boots: Scarpa T2, Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Ski Movies

Post by montrealer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:35 am

MikeK wrote:
I love this one so much! It inspired me to get a copy of the biography of him written by his daughter, also a good read. The history of skiing in the laurentians is described and it's very interesting. There was a train from montreal with stops in various towns. People would take the train to a station and spend the day skiing back to another station. All the first trail maps were published by the train and cigarette companies. Eventually cars + downhill areas with lifts took over... but nordic + backcountry is still alive and well. (see http://skiglisse.blogspot.ca this guy is amazing, he reviews just about every nordic area around)

It made me realize how much a single person did to bring skiing culture to this part of the world. And what's more, we can still ski on some of the trails he cut in the laurentians + northern new york state.

Here's an interview with him in french at 100 years old:

some of his quotes translated:
"ski every day, don't eat, drink or smoke too much. everything in moderation"
"canada in february and march is way better than florida. in canada we have everything we need for canoeing in summer and xc skiing in winter"
"I live alone, I cut my own wood, I clean up, make my own meals and I'm very happy. I'm very conscious that I have the health to do all this. But, you have to ski every day, and come back after you've sweated a bit. Then have a bit of beer in front of the fire with a pipe. that's the good life"

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:35 am

Five minutes of wisdom

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:59 pm

montrealer wrote: "canada in february and march is way better than florida. in canada we have everything we need for canoeing in summer and xc skiing in winter"
Two of my favorite things!

soffa

Post by soffa » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:59 pm

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:06 am

Cool! My brother lives in Parkersburg. Maybe I'll have to go visit him this winter and take a little detour.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 am

Wow. That was a great video. I loved the guy on woodies with the lurk. I was surprised to see where it was located, some of those views reminded me of the western ADKs, Tug Hill area... I figured it was going to be at least north of the Mason Dixon. Thanks for the post soffa, nice first one!

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:58 pm

XCD French biathlon team style.

[video][/video]

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Not as informative as I'd hoped, but might interest some:

[video][/video]

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:01 pm

isn't that the same guy from the Sourdough Trail video???

So in real life Fridtjof Nansen killed off all his dogs and fed them to each other! Kind of disturbing. The ethics of polar exploring have changed. He did however save hundreds of thousands of war refugees after WWI.

Just not comfortable with some guy staring at me! maybe Bob Marley would work….I dunno. I'd rather see the huskies.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:25 pm

Yes, same guy.