Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
boby13

XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: To hard to choose
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNN BC

Re: Ski Review: 2018-2019 Åsnes Ingstad BC

Postby boby13 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:39 am

lilcliffy wrote:I don't know what your experience and skill level is- and it is difficult to tell too much from a first-person perspective...

Yes its hard to compare our selves over an internet forum. (especially with first person videos)

I can say that I am pretty experienced, I started skiing at 3 years old and I've been raised by a level 4 alliance ski instructor. But I turned my back to skiing at 9 years old for snowboarding because it was way cooler 8-). In my early 20's, my hate for snowshoes pushed me to ride old beaten up rental fishscale xc skis on floppy nnn boots in slowshoe trails around my house, extremely sketchy but I loved it.

And then, 4 years ago, I upgraded to NNN bc pushed by the tales of Jackrabbit exploring the summits of the Tremblant mountain range in the early 30's.

Last winter, at 30 years old, for the fist time in 20 years, I tried one of my father's slalom skis on groomers and came to the conclusion that I really like snowboarding more than alpine skiing for resort skiing. But I like XCD in the side/backcountry even more! Right now, I'm 90% XCD / 10% snowboard.

lilcliffy wrote:My first suggestion is to try moving your feet more- to transfer your weight more.

Unlike conventional downhill skiing- both Alpine and Telemark- where one can overpower and drive a ski-

Downhill skiing with both XC boots and and XC skis (with XC length) can take one of two basic forms IMHO-

1) Evenly pressured, wide, round- and very wide- radius turns. This requires a LOT of momentum and space.

2) Assertive constant adjustment- where one constantly transfers weight from one ski to the other and does not hesitate to stride into a turn initiation and even physically pick up the lead ski to initiate a tight turn.

I'm with you on all the above, I think I was caught off guard with these long ingstads mainly because they are harder to break into a skid at moderate speed.
-Going fast, they are easy to P turn.
-Going slow, they are easy to stride into a telemark turn.
So I'm working on my tele turn at higher speed and I'm getting better, its not getting into the turn that's hard, its riding it all the way on uneven terrain.

If you look at my 3rd video, witch was my 3rd time with the ingstads and look at the tip of my skis, you will se that I do a couple of long strided tele turn and I'm transferring my weight a lot from ski to ski doing mini tele turn to slow me down.
But its hard to see with my shaky camera, maybe I should mount on my head instead of my chest... and look like a teletubies.

lilcliffy wrote:I suggest it would work even better with a softer, rounder-fleing ski than the 88....Have you ever tried an Epoch/XCD 10th Mtn, or an Annum/Guide? (The Falketind 62 with your Alaska boot would blow your mind BTW...)

Yea I think I will get myself a pair of falketind 62 for next winter... that was my secret plan... And it will remain secret to my girlfriend forever.

And don't get me wrong, I love my ingstads, what you see in my videos is about 30% of my skiing, the other 70% is on rolling terrain. That's why I needed long deep snow skis to cover distance.

Cannatonic

XCD Guide

Postby Cannatonic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:07 am

>>Right now, I'm 90% XCD / 10% snowboard.

I thought I was the only one! This is my breakdown as well. In fact, if you have snowshoes, the snowboard can be used instead of AT gear for climbing and descending steeper downhill ski routes.

boby13

XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: To hard to choose
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNN BC

Postby boby13 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Yes that's an option but here where I ski, any steep downhill is for sure followed by a flat section somewhere and that's the main reason I'm XCD skiing.

And also XCD is still a challenge for me... I think going down a steep powder field or trail on nnnbc gear is the closest thing to real surfing on the ocean because you really need to be balanced all the time.

But yea... snowboard... I would need a trip on the west side of the continent to fall in love with my board again.

bgregoire

XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour, Arkos Greenland & Alfa Polar

Postby bgregoire » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:34 pm

Hi Guys!

I used to snowboard too. But I got bored. These days, when I want some resort time, I will pull out a telemark ski kit or one of my waxless XCD/backcountry skis and leathers. A world of fun!

Besides, IMO, complimenting our daily XCD/nordic backountry diet with an occasional meal of modern resort telemark, classic and skate cross-country skiing is surely one of the best ways to round off and improve our technique, and hence, appreciation of the sport.

Be well!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Return to “Community Ski Reviews”