NNN v NNNBC for touring

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lars_Danner
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Classic
Favorite boots: Fischer Comfort Pro

NNN v NNNBC for touring

Post by Lars_Danner » Mon May 11, 2020 12:50 pm

I am sorry if this has been asked before. But, I am curious if there are any thoughts out there on NNN v NNN BC bindings and boots for touring on snowmachine trails? NNN is going to be much lighter (I think) and offers adjustable binding positions (which is really helpful with skin skis), but NNN BC should offer warmer boots and better soles for walking, when needed. But, I am not sure how to balance the trade-offs. Any thoughts out there?
Lars Danner

See my blog at: LarsDanner.blogspot.com
See my Facebook group at: Nordic Backcountry Skiing--Alaska

Roelant
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Backcountry in the wild, cross country on trails
Favorite Skis: BC: Åsnes Nansen Waxless; Groomed trails: Atomic Redster C7 Skintec, Madshus Terrasonic Wax
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre

Re: NNN v NNNBC for touring

Post by Roelant » Tue May 12, 2020 4:28 am

Hello,
The whole system of binding + boot, NNN is about half the weight of NNN-BC (depending on which boots you use) but it doesn't provide anywhere close to the amount of lateral and torsional stability. I have skied a couple of times in deeper snow with NNN and its manageable but more tiring than with NNN-BC, the weight difference doesn't come close to compensating the effort IMO.
If your snowmobile trails aren't too choppy and don't go too steep up or down, it may be OK though. if staying in them becomes tricky on the way down, BC is a clear winner.

Is the movable binding an asset on such trails? Even on dedicated XC tracks I don't really scoot them back and forth, I just leave them far enough forward for adequate grip on the whole trip, usually. My hunch is that on the snowmobile trails i would optimise them for grip anyways.

But hey, I am a guy who is happy with the glide of waxless pattern skis, maybe I am an outlier.