Any info on the Rossignol OT 65 Positrack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Any info on the Rossignol OT 65 Positrack

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 am

I am referring to the red skis.

Rossignol OT 65 Positrack

looks like they have 3/4 metal edges.

These are slightly wider than the Asnes MT51 but these are waxless and they are much cheaper. Any know how they would do going downhill on spring corn or end of season mash potatoes? How is the camber? compared to a traditional nordic ski? Anyone use these skis?

They can be found for less than $150.

I want a light, skinny pair of skis that are DH capable but don't want to spend $400+ on a pair of Asnes skis that are going to get knocked up by rocks and dyed red by mud and watermelon snow. I should post pics of my S112s and the EZ skins... these yellow skins are now a deep reddish orange and the bottom of the skis are orange/red too. and looks like I got a few chips and core shots.

fgd135
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Re: Any info on the Rossignol OT 65 Positrack

Post by fgd135 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:15 pm

Isn't it great to talk about new skis in July? I think it's fun.
The only detailed review I found was this one:
https://www.skiessentials.com/Chairlift ... e%20weight.
I'll bet it was written by a Rossi factory sales rep!
But for $150, which is really cheap, it would be worth consideration, esp. if you're doing mostly low angle tours. The the 3/4 metal edges would be good for control on icy trails, but imho, less than full-length edges usually don't help much when it comes to turning.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson
XCD Guide
XCD Guide
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Asnes Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:03 pm

I wouldn't say my MT51s are the skis I grab when going downhill. If I'm looking for a ski in this class for going down some hills I would probably grab my Fischer E-99's with some of that sweet rocker.

The Rossi OT almost a compact geometry ski according to them, maxing out at 195cm... it's almost like a go-between ski between the Fischer S-Bounds and the E99s. Their BC59's are more classic in length and probably more like the MT51's.

So the OT 65 is shorter length but not too short, and while they don't say rocker, they do keep stating "softer tip and tails" for turnability. Kind of a weird one, actually.

Go for it. I grabbed some Fischer BC Crowns years ago for super cheap, no edges, basically MT51 with no edges, and I love them. (again not a downhill type o' ski) They got panned by some skiers, but for the cheap price ($120?) I got, and continue to get, more bang for my buck. Sometimes it's a ski like this that fits into that niche you want and next think you know you keep reaching for them. (My older generation Atomic Vantage 85's for instance!!! $195 and goddamm if I haven't put 100 days on them!)

That being said, if a pair of E99's come up though... I'd grab those. I can actually turn them and they tour great and they are light and skinny.

Rambling post, brainstorming while typing

jyw5
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:33 pm

Thanks for your responses! Hope you all are having a good summer.

I may get the E99 if a good deal comes along. Although, it looks like the OT65 is quite skiiable down moderate slopes.

June was a stellar month here in AK with snow still to be had at 4000ft. We still have a 2-3 ft base in some areas accessible by road. On colder days like yesterday, the suncups were hard and refrozen and quite difficult. I think the sweet spot is coming in a week or so when more snow melts and stays soft. My outings have mostly been an even amount of hiking and skiing. Its tolerable carrying my S112s for 5 or so miles...but it would be nice to take a lighter setup so I can spend more time on snow and less time on the buggy muddy trails.

Nick BC
XCD Pinhead
XCD Pinhead
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:57 pm

As a general comment, I had a pair of the Rossi BC 110's and absolutely hated them in difficult Spring snow. The Rossi BC skis, in my opinion, have an inferior construction and less lateral rigidity than the Fischer's, despite the fact they come out of the same factory in the Ukraine (partly owned by Fischer :? ). For anything other than level tours the Fischers are way better. I replaced my BC110's with the G3 Stinger BC (78mm underfoot) on an incredible sale from G3 for 299 Canadian pesos, or about 150 yankee bucks :? . A true AT ski with a waxless base and it was like "night and day" on the descent.