The ever-so-popular Madshus Eon

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Re: The ever-so-popular Madshus Eon

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:44 pm

dusan wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:33 am
Hello
I want to buy my first BC skis (but I am doing XC skiing over 10 years) and I also need to decide between Fischer Outback 68-59-64 and Madshus Eon 83-62-70. I know, is quite different ski in sidecut and wide- the reason why is price... :D
I read a lot in forum about Madshus Eon (some negatives about ascend grip) and I have some experience with Fischer Offtrack crown- I know is very good. IMO the difference is that Fischer use negative (cut into base) fishscale and some other manufacturers use positive (molded in hot base) fishscale.
Fischer no longer uses negative fishscales, they use positive scales, and it is very grippy, very good. The Outback skis very short and is slow. I am also 188cm and 155lbs and I did not like these skis at all, sold them almost immediately.

dusan
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast

Post by dusan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:53 pm

And what size did you have ?
And if you think Outback is so slow, i don´t think that wider ski (traverse/excursion) will be faster... so what you have now ?

Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:16 pm

I was on the 189cm.

Speed is a function of length but also camber. The Traverse and Excursion can be the same length and also wider, but with more camber (stiffer flex) the scales don't drag on the snow as much, so they are faster. Both Traverse and Excursion are faster than the Outback. The Outback is an entry level ski for people just getting into the sport and think that XC skiing is "shuffling around."

Where are you located?