Gear review: Let's Lurk!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Re: Gear review: Let's Lurk!

Post by mca80 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:30 pm

Ok good to know. Will make my own for when skinning up, and buy Dennis' in 7ft for lifts. Even though I ski mostly greens and blues, with my 5'4" you think 7ft will be ok? That fits according to his, and probably Bishops (they don't go below 7.5ft and just say below 5.5ft height use the 90" or 7.5ft) recos. Am worried at 84"/7' may be short based on what you said re low angle.

Anyway thanks for input. I generally prefer old technology (technique) for most disciplines, especially ones that are new to me (when I got into bicycle touring as an adult I got a steel framed bike and won't go back to any other material for any other of my pursuits--if I were a competetive racer with a lot of money, different story, carbon).

Shirefisher
Ski style: All, tele, backcountry, back yard xcd curious?
Favorite Skis: Koms?!.
Favorite boots: Excursions

Post by Shirefisher » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:29 pm

rockychrysler wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:23 pm
Hope y'all will pardon the self-promo as this is my first post to Telemark Talk. Likewise hope that some of you will find the following content germane to this forum... I finally got around to writing-up a quick review of my MountainSports lurk(s... I actually have two). Hope you'll click-through if yer interested. Feedback of all varieties welcomed, natch. https://www.rockychrysler.com/2023/09/lets-lurk.html
I love your write up and review. I agree 100% with all information mentioned. I got the MountainSports Lurk last season after using multiple home made Tiaks for the last few years and I love all the possibilities you can navigate with these awesome tools. I don't very often ski with poles anymore unless it's straight up downhill gear which is on occasion. I do a lot of yo-yo skiing in the hills around my home in North Vermont and I love the quick ability to use the Lurk as 2 poles or downhill as the long Lurk. I do sometimes still use my Tiaks depending on the conditions but the Lurk is getting a lot of use. My ski style evolution has gone in a direction to help me adapt to all scenarios out there!

JB TELE

Post by JB TELE » Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm

Has anyone found a good way to tour with a lurk? I've seen a San Juan lurk and it's super heavy and doesn't have functional grips. Does anyone tour with a full one piece lurk like a walking staff?

Manney
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by Manney » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:12 pm

Gandalf? LOL.

Can see narrow opportunities when a lurk might be sort of useful. Like if crossing a frozen body of water. Could test path ahead, be a lifesaver falling thru the ice.

Not very practical outside of that (anyone the least bit unsure of a body of frozen water should take a detour anyway). Heavy, slow, awkward etc. Explains why poles became the more popular choice tbh.

[Ignoring novelty of using one in a YouTube vid to impress ppl you’ve never met… safer than most gravity experiments, home made bulletproof vests, etc.]
Go Ski

jtb

Post by jtb » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:00 pm

JB TELE wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:29 pm
Has anyone found a good way to tour with a lurk? I've seen a San Juan lurk and it's super heavy and doesn't have functional grips. Does anyone tour with a full one piece lurk like a walking staff?
I've toured with a lurk. I made one out of 2 BD Traverse poles connected with a length of aluminum tube. They easily separate with the push of a button clip, so you can use them as poles for the ascent and a lurk for the descent. Skiing with a lurk is not more practical than poles, but it sure is fun, especially in powder.

https://www.backcountrytalk.com/forum/b ... urk-skiing