Skis for my wife, split between Nansen/Gamme

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Re: Skis for my wife, split between Nansen/Gamme

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:32 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:14 pm
Doesn't the current Ingstad BC make the Nansen obsolete?
- Ingstad has a shorter turn radius
- Ingstad is completely stable in deep soft snow
- Ingstad has better XC performance on all snow due to more camber-stiffness underfoot?

And-
If one were to choose the Nansen over the Gamme (or Ingstad) because of its downhill manners- why not go further and get the even better FT62?
My E109s had the "pool cover syndrome", but it was only very rarely a problem (but very frustrating when it did happen).
I was generally happy but the edges broke on both skis during one multi-day trip this Easter. The Norwegian shop organised a warranty replacement with Fischer but suitable Fischer skis in the right length were not available from the supplier this Spring in Norway, and the shop diligently accepted my request for Nansens as a replacement for broken Fischers. Talk about great customer service all around.

I did give the Ingstad a bit of thought.

1) For me, most BC ski kilometers are in the spring (longer daylight hours) when there is a layer of fresh snow on harder snow, and combine long distance trips with ups and downs in the middle. I suppose that if there was less distance involved the Ingstad would have been a better option. Whether it has better XC performance, this may be your experience, but, other Ingstad and Nansen users on fjellforum.no have different experience. Is there a big difference in the present day Ingstad vs the Ingstad from 2 years ago? Perhaps my info was outdated.

2) I wouldn't mind a pair of FT62's when I am in it for just the ups and downs :) perhaps at a later date. Is it reasonable to run FT62s with NNNBC (and Crispi Stetind boots)?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:53 am

Roelant wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:32 am
I did give the Ingstad a bit of thought.

1) For me, most BC ski kilometers are in the spring (longer daylight hours) when there is a layer of fresh snow on harder snow, and combine long distance trips with ups and downs in the middle. I suppose that if there was less distance involved the Ingstad would have been a better option. Whether it has better XC performance, this may be your experience, but, other Ingstad and Nansen users on fjellforum.no have different experience. Is there a big difference in the present day Ingstad vs the Ingstad from 2 years ago? Perhaps my info was outdated.
There is a big difference between the current Ingstad BC and the Combat Nato/Ingstad(old) (not sure which version you are speaking of).

Given those snow conditions- you are correct- the current Ingstad BC is a pretty poor XC ski on dense, consolidated snow- especially due to its short glide zone on consolidated snow- due to all of that tip rocker. A number of my favourite local hill tours end with with a significant (several kms- at least) ski out on snowmobile track. The Ingstad BC is so poor on that snowmobile track that I often end up wishing I had brought my Gamme 54/E99- despite how AWESOME the Ingstad was all day in deep, soft snow!! (My friend and I- who also is on the Ingstad BC- joke that we need a "transformer ski", where we can- at the push of a button- tighten down all of that tip rocker and raise and tighten the camber underfoot for the ski out!)

The Combat Nato/Ingstad (old) is actually a much better XC ski on consolidated snow than the Ingstad BC- though not as good as a Gamme 54.

It would appear that my impression of the Nansen's XC performance is totally wrong (at least on a dense consolidated base). It sounds like the Nansen offer reasonable XC performance on dense snow- but is less cambered and stiff than the Gamme 54- making it more manageable on hills. Does this sound right? If so- that would make it a somewhat narrowly focused late winter/early spring BC-XC ski for hill terrain- on a dense consolidated base? Which makes the Gamme 54 a more versatile BC-XC ski as it is both more efficient and more stable in a wider range of snow conditons- though as a trade-off is more of a handful on slopes?

If I am on the right track here:
- Ingstad BC: distance-oriented ski in deep soft snow- hilly/mountainous terrain.
- Nansen BC: distance-oriented ski on consolidated snow- hilly/mountainous terrain.
- Gamme 54 BC: distance-oriented ski on all snow and terrain (stiff and cambered on hills).
- Combat Nato: distance-oriented ski on deep snow and all terrain.
- Amundsen BC: distance-oriented ski on all snow- gentle terrain.

If I am on the right track here- I would be keen to try the Nansen for my local hill tours on a consolidated base...
Combined with having the Ingstad BC for deep soft snow conditions- perhaps it is the Gamme 54 that becomes obsolete in my quiver!!!? Meaning- if I had both an Ingstad BC and a Nansen BC- I wouldn't need the Gamme 54!?

So- if I am to be of any help to Woods at all-
Sorry if I missed this in your OP-
What kind of snow will this BC-XC ski be gliding on?
2) I wouldn't mind a pair of FT62's when I am in it for just the ups and downs :) perhaps at a later date. Is it reasonable to run FT62s with NNNBC (and Crispi Stetind boots)?
I cannot speak for the Stetind- but I am absolutely loving the FT62 as a downhill-focused ski with all of my NNNBC boots (Alaska/Svartisen/Guard Advance). I have no problem setting this ski on edge with even the softest of my BC boots!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:02 am

Dear Woods,

Without going into tech details, I would definitely go for the Nansen for several reasons. Unless she is breaking trail all the time, (which I doubt knowing the sweetheart of a gentleman you are), she will be faster and much more stable on the Nansen than the Gamme. Which means that she will have much more fun too, which is a good addition to the ideal mariage... The Ingstad would be an unnecessary burden... The skinny Gamme and his NR would be too unstable unless she is a blazing good and fast skier. I think Nansen is the ticket...

Nordic rocker is a cool thing, but not desired for everything... And yep, as Greg said, the Skogs and the Nansens are the same skis with different cosmetics...

(PS: Nansen is a gentleman too, Allison will love riding with him... Please tell her I wouldn't mind getting rid of "her" 2400's... :D )
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:43 pm

15 miles in the woods? That says Gamme all the way to me. Go longer if more float/trailbreaking ability is needed.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:31 pm

unicorn-popcorn-recipe.jpg
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:34 am

You guys are fun! I might as well flip coins! Leaning towards the Nansen for her, for now... Still thinking... Argh

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:06 pm

I've got Nansen 190's for sale if you're interested!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2578

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:43 pm
15 miles in the woods? That says Gamme all the way to me. Go longer if more float/trailbreaking ability is needed.
Yep, me too, without any hesitation...
But for a slender 125lbs "not so muscley" wife? I dunno... I wouldn't put my wife on the green man...

Keep in mind that in order to have efficient K&G with wax at 125lbs, you would have to pick a 170cm Gamme. And 170cm is not exactly my vision of a fun, stable and flying ski experience... A decambered 185 Nansen or Skog would be a more fun compromise... At least for my wife... :D

But you already know that... You're a real, true skimeister.... You are the person who owns the most Asnes skis in North America... You just want us to pick the ski for you so you won't feel guilty of buying a 15th pair of Asneeees... Darling, I didn't want to buy a XXth pair of skis this year, but the guys at TelemarkTalk said so! :lol:
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Johnny wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Keep in mind that in order to have efficient K&G with wax at 125lbs, you would have to pick a 170cm Gamme. And 170cm is not exactly my vision of a fun, stable and flying ski experience... A decambered 185 Nansen or Skog would be a more fun compromise... At least for my wife... :D

But you already know that... You're a real, true skimeister.... You are the person who owns the most Asnes skis in North America... You just want us to pick the ski for you so you won't feel guilty of buying a 15th pair of Asneeees... Darling, I didn't want to buy a XXth pair of skis this year, but the guys at TelemarkTalk said so! :lol:
IT'S BEGINNING TO LOOK BAD, I'll admit that... I have made very questionable financial decisions. But they are so good, so smooth. Every Asnes I've skied did exactly what I wanted and expected it to do. No compromise.

I was thinking a 185cm waxless Nansen for wife.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:01 pm

those 190cm Nansens are looking good...maybe a bit too long? 190 would make them better for gliding/float. Could always throw a few water bottles in the backpack.....remember, pre-1990's the standard recommendation for women's XC skis was 205cm & 215 for men.

Nansen is the one Asnes ski missing from my quiver. May have to order a fishscale pair from REI....I believe I've got a coupon here good for 20% off any one item.

*edit, just tried the coupon - no go! Asnes ski are excluded. Guess I can't blame them!
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)