Asnes FT62 edge tuning

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Asnes FT62 edge tuning

Post by Danylewich » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:47 pm

Some of you might be interested in this. As a newcomer to BC skis, trying to figure out a variety of matters, including edge angle. I emailed Asnes/Crister to ask them about the edges on the FT62 and what kind of bevel they come with. It is perfectly 90 degrees, 0/0 and Crister's initial response was that nothing needed to be done to them, they were fine that way. I then asked if perhaps they should be tuned to 1/1 if they are going to be used more for downhill turns, since that seems to happen with alpine skis.

Here's how Crister responded, FYI:

"From a racer's perspective and as a former downhill racer, I would of course say that there is endless oppurtunites to tune the skis. But I dont believe that most people skiing on a FT62 will charge hard down icy slopes, and because of that I do not think they will notice so much of a difference either.

On Alpine Touring or Alpine skis, I would definitely tune the edges. But not necessarily on a BC ski. Tuning skis is highly subjective as well, so if we were to tune the edges otherwise someone would probably question that as well.

I tested some different setups, and If I were to do something with the FT62, I would probably go for a 1 degree as you suggest, starting from the taper in front to the taper in the back. I would then dull the edges a bit on the taper and to the tip.

The only ski that could benefit from a good tuning would probably be the Rabb 68, and of course, we have another tuning on our Alpine Touring skis than on the BC skis."

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Asnes FT62 edge tuning

Post by phoenix » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:06 pm

Critter's response is valid. I sure wouldn't/don't worry about the bevel angle on my BC skis. a 90/90 is easier to maintain and touch up, and you're really, truly, not going to notice any difference skiing with a 1 degree base &/or side bevel on your rig.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Asnes FT62 edge tuning

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 am

Danylewich wrote:
I tested some different setups, and If I were to do something with the FT62, I would probably go for a 1 degree as you suggest, starting from the taper in front to the taper in the back. I would then dull the edges a bit on the taper and to the tip.
This is almost word for word one of the things discussed when I sat in on the waxing seminar at MEC last week. He used a gummy stone to dull the tip/tail edges. He also mentioned this was more groomers oriented but he did it to his BC skis as part of his waxing ritual so that he knows what condition the edges are on his skis.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.