Im a New Yorker, should I get an indy pass during covid times?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Im a New Yorker, should I get an indy pass during covid times?

Post by Telecat » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:07 am

I have an epic pass since my closest mountain is hunter at just around 30 mins away.

I'd really love to get an indy pass, so many cool mountains I'd love to ski in New England! And I'd love to support the smaller independently owned business and offset my guilt from supporting Epic.

Im just worried if its a wise move, given that New York has basically a 1 week quarantine upon returning from out of state, and states like Vermont have similar rules requiring quarantine before going into their state.

I can't afford to take a week off before an after a ski trip to quarantine and I suspect most people can't. Kind of worried about how these ski areas will do financially if few people can travel

Im not a super social person, and my ski trips are SKI oriented. Im not worried about catching or spreading this bug, and just want to mind my own business while skiing and go back to my private cabin rental.

I guess im also worried about getting caught. Im not sure how enforced or even enforceable these rules are.

Opinions? $200 for an indy pass is just such an amazing deal and id love to have one

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Im a New Yorker, should I get an indy pass during covid times?

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:09 am

Is there a time limit? If you buy it in a month will it be more expensive? And, is there a reasonable refund policy?
It wouldn't surprise me if by mid-January we have a vaccine that is approved by the FDA/CDC. If that happens, I think things will get better and open up, but it'll take time for people to get it, so maybe by mid-February?

In the mean time, it would be a shame to pay $200 for a few days of skiing followed by a $1000 fine.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:32 pm

I would wait. The numbers keep going up which doesn't bode well for easing of restrictions any time soon. If buying the Indy pass would potentially lead to more ski days it might be worth the risk, but since your Epic pass is good at Stowe(I think) you can still take advantage of any snow that falls north of the Catskills. I don't think this is the year.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm

I'll offer my take on it, as one who lives in Vermont, and listening to the ski policy updates on public radio the last few days:

First, I just did a quick search about the Indy pass... I didn't find a clear and comprehensive list of areas include, but I do see a handful of VT areas, including Jay Peak. I'm 20 minutes from Jay. Steve, who now manages Jay (under gov't.'s ownership), was a primary spokesperson on today's talk. Also heard from Bolton Valley, Mad River, Killington, maybe a couple others.

Lift capacity, lodging, and area lodge will be limited in capacity, generally by around half. Sounds like pass holders will have a bit of a priority, being easier to monitor, in terms of capacity. Travel and quarantine regulations are expected to be adhered to; I can't identify specifics, but enforcement and verification will be somewhat more than casual, but less than absolute. Some proofs of adherence are possible, and a signed affadavit will be required . Access to lodge is not guaranteed, so be prepared to gear up and eat in the lot (my preference anyway). I'd be thorough about securing lodging; they're dealing with restrictions too. It's being taken seriously by both the state and the resorts; both want the business, but neither want to contribute to the problem.

This may or not be helpful, I realize. Feel free to ask me if there's more I can offer that will help. Don't know nuthin' about the other states in this respect. (For the record: I'm a native NY'er, currently relocated in VT, so no righteousness involved here).