XC touring gear for Ontario/Quebec and the North east

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
gimmesnow

XC touring gear for Ontario/Quebec and the North east

Post by gimmesnow » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:15 am

Just discovered this forum - some great topics on here!

I have some questions that I'm sure has been posed several times but figured I'd ask for an updated answer.

My partner and I cross country ski regularly (classic) on groomed trails here in Southern Ontario. (pretty much everywhere within 3 hours of Toronto) We both own edgeless skinny skis (older waxless salmon snowscape 5 and 6) and he's finally learned to manage in the tracks without falling. I use pilot shoes/binding and he uses profil.

Given the covid situation and the fact EVERYONE and their grandmother seems to have bought up all the nordic gear around here, I'm expecting the groomed trails to be absolutely packed this year and not as much fun. I've been thinking of getting him some light backcountry nordic touring gear so we can go on many of the ungroomed areas in Ontario which will likely be empty. May eventually wander off to Quebec, Vermont/NH and Northern ontario when the pandemic eases...

Having lived in BC for a few years I've picked up a bit of a quiver including BC 125s with dynafit bindings/Scarpa plastic boots and K2 Waybacks with the same, along with skins. Way overkill for Ontario.

I also have a pair of waxless Madshus Eons with SNS-BC bindings paired with Salomon XADV6 boots which I got when I moved back here a few years ago. Admittedly I've barely ever used these yet and they've been sitting in my parents basement the last few years, all shiny and new, save one time I did a day along the Toronto ravines when it snowed a lot.

So, given snow conditions/terrain in Ontario my questions are:

1. I'm thinking the Eons I already have are OK for this purpose. Probably no sense in getting 'yet another ski' (although I COULD be convinced lol) I've read reviews about the Eon's not being great with flotation on soft snow and not having good grip when cold, but maybe good enough for Ontario terrain? if not, any suggestions for me? 135lbs.

2. My sense is the XADV6 boots I have aren't great. I've heard stories about them failing and I felt they definitely weren't as comfortable as my regular Salomon Profil boots. Any point in changing the boots/bindings on these skis to something else ie NNN-BC Alpina's etc?

3. For my partner - I can start from scratch so can get anything really. He's very much still a beginner, but I'd like to get something that can be useful for a long time. He weighs about 165lbs without gear. Rossi BC 80s? Fischer S-bound 88s? something else? Can any be successfully paired with his profil boots or would I have to get him a new boot/binding as well? I guess if new boots are in order they'd be NNN-BC or SNS-BC (not 3-pin).

4. Climbing skins: Any ideas for the Eon's? I feel like this might be helpful at times. Kicker skins? Where do I find them for skinnier skis? Maybe not needed??

5. Bonus question: Does anyone know anywhere in Ontario or the rest of Canada where I get new gear??? It seems like everyone is sold out of everything. MEC only has the BC 59s and some random Rossi and Salomon boots in unhelpful sizes without corresponding bindings! I'd prefer not to import from outside the country given duties and shipping but I guess I may not have a choice. I'm worried about finding a good boot size.

Thanks for any suggestions. I know these are a lot of questions!
Cheers.

dhdaines
Ski style: Scandinavian Skibreaker
Favorite Skis: E99, E99, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC

Re: XC touring gear for Ontario/Quebec and the North east

Post by dhdaines » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:47 pm

I'm also new here so I'll leave the gear recommendations to the experts, except to say that the skis and boots that you already have are just fine as long as they fit, especially if you have SNS-BC, there's no sense in changing both boots and bindings until they actually break! And also, on the other hand, your partner won't be happy with on-track classic boots and bindings on BC skis - I skied this for one season and, even with somewhat robust boots (Rossi X-5), it was pretty miserable. I can't imagine it with ordinary classic boots, at a minimum you'd want to use skate boots like some people do here in the Laurentians.

Skis are selling as fast as they come in pretty much everywhere, but La Cordée and André Jac Sport both have a reasonable selection on-line and will ship them to you in Ontario.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:20 pm

I think that your Eon set up should be fine for the lightish BC touring in Ontario/Quebec/VT/NH. I haven't heard of the X-Adventures having issues, but in any case if they don't feel comfortable, it will ruin your experience. The Rottefella system is not any better, and you'd need to try some boots on before committing to changing your system. Many good things are said about the Alpina NNN-BC; I've been skiing the 75"s for a few years and think highly of them. Alpina's might be worth a look too. I would suggest staying away from "hybrid" NNN-BC boots with a buckle, ankle supports, etc: I have found they feel awkward, and chances for problems abound.
I don't know the shops in Ontario, but you might have a look at the major gear suppliers online, in the US, like Backcountry.com, REI, etc. There's also Outdoor Gear Exchange in Burlington VT.

As far as your partner's set up, as mentioned above, an XC binding on a BC ski is NOT a good idea. Lots of options for a rig out there for him, starting from scratch. Personally, I'd steer you (him) away from the Rossi's. Haven't skied the current crop of Fischer's myself; many seem to like them. I would look at another pair of Madshus, or maybe Asnes. Salomon or Rottefella are both fine, the key is that the boot fits.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm

You will be perfectly ok with your Eon and Xadv boots. Ok, you've read this and that. But if you look more closely, you can find opinions that are the exact contrary. Do not rely on them. Rely on your own experience. Ski those Eon. You will be fine. And maybe next year, in favor of your own experience, you will feel you need something else (we are all like that, geez). But if you are wise (unlike us) you might want to keep those Eon... Anyway, do not listen to us; we are just a bunch of spoiled kids LOL.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:18 pm

And yeah, Like Phoenix's saying, Rossi Nordic skis are *almost* all badly designed...

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Oh, and do you know a good hairdresser?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 pm

Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm
You will be perfectly ok with your Eon and Xadv boots. Ok, you've read this and that. But if you look more closely, you can find opinions that are the exact contrary. Do not rely on them. Rely on your own experience. Ski those Eon. You will be fine. And maybe next year, in favor of your own experience, you will feel you need something else (we are all like that, geez). But if you are wise (unlike us) you might want to keep those Eon... Anyway, do not listen to us; we are just a bunch of spoiled kids LOL.
Just do what Rod says, he’s a genius.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Rodbelan

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:25 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:20 pm
Rodbelan wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:16 pm
Just do what Rod says, he’s a genius.
You finally accept the facts... Good, I see that you are making progress... LOL et reLOL

gimmesnow

Post by gimmesnow » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:41 pm

Thanks everyone. OK, I'll try with the Eon's for now and stay away from Rossis for the new pair :)

Strangely when I think about it, my BC125's had TERRIBLE grip actually. I pretty much had to use skins even for low angle uphill and the edges didn't grip well on the DH either. I even used them in mellow Ontario terrain years back just to try and they barely worked in retrospect. I guess that's why they're just sitting in a basement at the moment gathering dust.

PatMcMullon

Post by PatMcMullon » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:10 am

I live in New Brunswick with not a lot of local purchase options. The one shop about an hour away didn't have and couldn't get the skis I was looking for. I ended up ordering from Telemark Pyrenees, selected UPS for delivery, and everything went well. 7 days from order to delivery. Shipping was 50 Euro, and the UPS brokerage fee was $11.50. No duty.

Fischer skis and mounted bindings ended up $500CAD all in. Andre Jac lists the same ski at $420, plus binding, HST and shipping.

My preference is to get stuff close to home, but I guess not being able to is the price of living in paradise*.

*Coastal New Brunswick is definitely not xc ski paradise.