Mountain Race 46 - the red one

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Mountain Race 46 - the red one

Post by Musk Ox » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:37 pm
@Musk Ox

Where did your Bentley vs Musclecar vs Bugatti comparison go? I love that rating system.

MT51 was the Bentley?
MR48 was the Musclecar?

Can't remember what the MR46 was...

How about the Gamme 54- did you get one? Is it a Rallycar?
Heh! I didn't think anyone wanted to hear my jokes.

The MR 48 was a muscle car. The MT 51 was a vintage Bentley. The MR 46 was a literal rocket strapped to the chassis of a Land Rover Discovery (presumably) and Tom should buy them immediately.

Yes @lilcliffy I am the proud parent of a pair of brand new Gamme 54 skis at 200 cm long! Father and skis are doing well but I haven't had the chance to strap myself in yet. We only got our first proper snow this weekend. I couldn't wait to go skiing so yersterday I literally took my MR 48s to the nearby five-a-side football pitch and shuffled around there in burly boots and GoreTex for about ten minutes, ha ha! Hopefully I'll get the chance to find out this week.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:44 am

athabascae wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:11 pm
Anyone try the Fischer Powerlite (51-46-49)
I'm thinking they MAY be similar in purpose/niche to the Mountain Race 46 (54-46-50).

I have a pair of last year's Fischer Power Twinskins with the same dimensions as the "Powerlite" you mention above, I suspect they are the same ski. I got them on clearance this summer for icey days in the track and maybe transformed snow on the lake as a test of the skin ski concept. The tails and shovel are EXTREMELY flexy. The most flexy I've ever seen on a ski. I think this has to do with Fischer's EF (efficient forward) tech, where the camber underfoot is very stiff but the rest of the ski is floppy. I do not think I will be using them for cruising rolling snowmobile trails this year, if I get in the backseat it's game over. I would imagine the 46 is supportive throughout the flex of the ski.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:45 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 am

The MR 48 was a muscle car. The MT 51 was a vintage Bentley. The MR 46 was a literal rocket strapped to the chassis of a Land Rover Discovery (presumably) and Tom should buy them immediately.

Yes @lilcliffy I am the proud parent of a pair of brand new Gamme 54 skis at 200 cm long! Father and skis are doing well but I haven't had the chance to strap myself in yet. We only got our first proper snow this weekend. I couldn't wait to go skiing so yersterday I literally took my MR 48s to the nearby five-a-side football pitch and shuffled around there in burly boots and GoreTex for about ten minutes, ha ha! Hopefully I'll get the chance to find out this week.
Good advice and congratulations on this newest acquisition! Let us know how it goes... vroooom! You gonna love them

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 pm

You might be interested in this short exchange I had with Crister of Asnes on the MR46/48:

From me to Crister:
MR 46 or 48?
Sent: Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:45 pm
by Danylewich

Hi Crister, looking to get a ski for predominantly fast paced track skiing, with a hint out of track, maybe 10% use with this ski off-track. Which would you recommend as best in the Asnes line-up, between the MR 46 or 48?

FYI I also have FT62 and Borges Ousland already.

MR46 fits in nicely for being narrow, but feel like the full steel edges might be overkill and hinder the turns in tracks. MR48 has 3/4 edges, which seems right, but is maybe getting too close to my Borges.

Thanks for your advice. David

From Crister to me:

"In this case, I would most definitely go for the MR48. It was more forgiving and easier to handle outside of tracks.

We have actually cut the MR46 from our line, as it had a too stiff tip - resulting in a ski that would be good going totally flat and in tracks, but a ski that dug down in looser snow and that could plow out of even tracks going downhill."

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Nuts. I was really homing in on the 210 cm MR46 based on the input by everyone, but will need to go back and think about the MR46 vs MR48 again.

Thanks for this crucial info David. I assume you got the 48 instead of 46?

My current thought process is one of two routes: a) stay the course and get the MR46 (210 cm), and maybe the MT51 (205 cm) as well, and use the better ski for the conditions, or b) get the MR48 (200 or 210 cm) and be done with it. All wax models with NNN BC.

Tom

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 am

athabascae wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm
My current thought process is one of two routes: a) stay the course and get the MR46 (210 cm), and maybe the MT51 (205 cm) as well, and use the better ski for the conditions, or b) get the MR48 (200 or 210 cm) and be done with it. All wax models with NNN BC.

Tom
Tom, just get a long MR 48. Seriously. Even at 190 they're... not exactly slow. If you're after "prepared track with 'shortcuts' through the forest home", I think the MR 46 *and* the MT 51 would be overkill.

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:39 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:10 am
Tom, just get a long MR 48. Seriously. Even at 190 they're... not exactly slow. If you're after "prepared track with 'shortcuts' through the forest home", I think the MR 46 *and* the MT 51 would be overkill.
Ha. I thought I read that you had TWO MR48 (wax and skin)!

I am still struggling with this. I might just buy all three mountain race/tour series in waxable (MR46, MR48, MT51), decide which one (or two) and sell the other(s) locally! This series of skis speaks to me (but I am concerned about the other thread saying they are not so good in tracks - too soft camber).

Mr. Muskox, please tell us how you find your MR48 skis in the tracks in that thread.

Thank you.