Beginner questions and ski advice (Asnes Sondre)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cantata

Beginner questions and ski advice (Asnes Sondre)

Post by Cantata » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

Hello! I would like to start backcountry skiing this winter and I could use some advice on appropriate gear.

Background info:
I've been cross country skiing recreationally since childhood in both groomed resorts and local natural areas. I have the basic skills to snowplow down hills and get from A to B on clear trails but my form could be more refined. I've never waxed skis but I'm willing to learn, and I have free access to all the necessary equipment if need be. I'm 5'4'' and 120 lbs without equipment and physically in pretty good shape. Snow conditions will be typical Northern New England/Quebec.

I'm looking for a set up that will be fun to use on nearby ungroomed trails while I further develop my skiing abilities. I think easier sections of the Catamount trail are doable for me already so I'm planning on trying that out. Ability to ski on groomed areas is a bonus but not a must. I want to practice making downhill/tele turns but I don't want xcD equipment since I'll just be falling down hills at the golf course for a while. I just want it to be suitable for practice and have more ability to turn than a standard XC touring ski.

I have very generously been given a pair of Lundhags Guide BC boots (overkill for my current abilities as a skier but I'll also be using them for skating), so I'm committed to NNN BC bindings. On Ebay I found a pair of new Asnes Sondre skis for $50 shipped, priced low because the waxless pattern could have irregularities and waxing may be required. The skis are 185 cm. According to Asnes, I am very slightly under the low end of their recommended height and weight, listed as equivalent to 5'5'' and 121 lbs. Will this be a problem, and are there any technique adjustments I'd have to make? And other than that could this be an appropriate ski for my use case? Or would I be better off paying full retail for a different ski elsewhere? The season is about to start, and I haven't had luck finding secondhand equipment this fall.

I'm also not sure what my criteria should be for poles and whether or not I should get skins.

If you've read all this, thank you! And I look forward to hearing your thoughts :)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Beginner questions and ski advice (Asnes Sondre)

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:17 pm

I think that being on the low side or slightly lower than Åsnes recommendation is good. For the price I would definitely try that Sondre. I do not see how you could go wrong. I have not seen any reviews here of that particular ski, but I have a few pair of Åsnes skis and have not been disappointed.
My first assumption was this is a double cambered true XC BC ski. It is compared to the Amundsen, only not as stiff. It has a moderate wax pocket, my translation would be a bit soft. So I might be inclined to throw out the Amundsen comparison? Yes, my reading of Åsnes descriptions leads me to believe this is a somewhat retuned doubled cambered XC BC ski. Will it be easier to turn than a true XC BC ski? Maybe a little, however without rocker or more side cut, it will not be a turner. However no ski in this class are real turners, however step turns and wedge turns, and hop turns will allow you good control in a wide range of terrain. Furthermore, there isn’t anything wrong with a ski in this class not having rocker and extra side cut. I would prefer to have a ski that is good at it’s task, rather than a ski that isn’t good at anything.
As for poles, I like 2 piece adjustable poles. I have BD Traverse poles. For some reason I prefer my anodized set to my painted aluminum set. I would be interested in the Åsnes carbon 2 piece poles, but there’s always next year.
The Åsnes X-skins fit most of the Åsnes backcountry skis. If they are in the budget, they offer grip when the scales slip. I believe most would recommend the 45 mm mohair. I have some, however they are a little grippy for me. I still have uses for that skin, but would prefer a 30 mm mohair for my Gamme.
I think the best thing is to start skiing. You will learn what you like, and how you want your gear to perform.
My unsolicited piece of advice is that on cold powder snow there is nothing like a wax ski.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:28 pm

I have some of those Asnes Sondre skis, as well. In lengths 210 and 200, because I'm big.

These are a different generation than the current Sondre skis, with sidecut like the Amundsen skis, and presumably a slightly softer flex.

They are fantastic skis for when the snow is relatively firm, or when there is a firm base below not too much new snow. I don't think getting traction will be an issue for you, beyond perhaps getting used to having a second camber underfoot and needing to push down your stationary leg a little bit before kicking your other leg forward.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:14 am

One thing I would do with these Sondre: fill the somewhat bizarre fish scale pattern with ptex and use em with kick wax...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:08 am

BTW, the eBay Sondres pre-date the Asnes X-Skin system.

Of the two pairs I have, one had so little pattern on the base (I asked the seller for the skis with the least amount of pattern) that I could just fill it in with Swix Polar wax, and put kick wax on top of that.

The other pair has so much pattern, it looks like they would be perfectly usable as waxless skis, and I intend to try that out this season.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:13 pm

Looks like a great value starter package to me. A friend of mine uses these pre x-skin Sondres (but with waxable base) in quite varying terrain and seems to find no reason to change to a newer pair. With 12mm sidecut they obviously won't be the turniest skis available but to get you places as an offtrack XC ski they should do fine!
If the waxless pattern is useless just fill it with polar grip wax and use them as waxable skis :)
How are the lundhags boots?

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm

Roelant wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:13 pm
LUNDHAGS BOOTS SLURP

I'm going to fondle mine brb

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:53 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm
Roelant wrote:
LUNDHAGS BOOTS SLURP

Please just don't fondle them in front of the keyboard. :shock:
I have some Lundhags Vandra II high boots for hiking in the bogs and I love them. I wonder how the ski boots compare.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 am

Roelant wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:53 pm
Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:39 pm
Roelant wrote:
LUNDHAGS BOOTS SLURP

Please just don't fondle them in front of the keyboard. :shock:
I have some Lundhags Vandra II high boots for hiking in the bogs and I love them. I wonder how the ski boots compare.
I have both and love them both. A pair of single layer hiking boots (Park) and the three layer Guide BC boots. The Guide boots are *beautifully* made, extremely comfortable, and the wool inner is great for padding around cabins. Stiffer than my wife's Crispi Stetinds.

The Vandras are completely gorgeous, I have to say. I love the comparatively flexible soles on the Park. They're really nimble for hopping around on mountain boulders but with all the other advantages of Lundhags in the forests and bogs.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:38 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:03 am
The Guide boots are *beautifully* made, extremely comfortable, and the wool inner is great for padding around cabins. Stiffer than my wife's Crispi Stetinds.
This is a very interesting comment for me- specifically in comparison to the Stetind...
Are you speaking of the sole flex or the ankle support when you say that the Guide BC is "stiffer" than the Stetind?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.