OMG! Another "help me pick my ski" thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

OMG! Another "help me pick my ski" thread

Post by Baaahb » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:18 pm

So I need to pick a ski for my Salomon prolink boots. They are compatible with NNN-BC bindings. I know this because I skied them today on my wife's Rossy BC-90's (from back before they had the 80's). Which actually was a pretty good combo, though I'm battling 200 pounds and my wife's skis are 179's. A 189 Rossy bc-90 is the obvious choice. Possibly the current Rossy-80.

The skis will be used for several low angle missions. Think of being able to look respectable descending an expert x-c track, something rather elusive for me, unless i just tuck it and trust in Allah. But no, not a skate ski. And also think of going off that expert/intermediate track into some untracked along the side. Or thing about descending moderate untracked hiking trails.

I have heard great things about the Agnes line, but cannot find, in the US, their wider skis with a waxless base. I don't like fussing with kick wax, cause I just don't. MAybe lame, but cut me some slack, ok?

My thinking is not to go narrower than 75 or wider than 95. And with metal edges for better grip on the turns.

My skis are mostly older. I love my fischer boundless and my Rossy-125's, both mounted with three pins. The new ski will be a lighter set up, and hopefully faster on the groomed surface (ie the skate surface). IMO I want the increased float more than being able to ski in a classic track. IMO you shouldn't be in the classic track unless your skis are under 65...but maybe that protocol is changing these days?

Oh yeah, one other thing. I don't like to spend a lot of $$$ on any one pair of skis. : )

Thanks in advance.

Baaahb

Re: OMG! Another "help me pick my ski" thread

Post by Baaahb » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:48 am

thinking out loud..........

Madshus Eon : 83-62-70 "more camber" (bad) but reported to turn easily

Rossy BC-80: 80-60-70 tip rocker? (good)

Alpina Discovery 80 : the fact that Alpina's own website does not give the specs on these skis is not a good sign. IMO the ski descriptions provided (by all ski manufacturers and retailers) are about the most worthless bit of advice man has ever created.

Fischer traverse 78: same comment! what is with these manufacturers? "stiff double cambered"

Fischer Excursion 88 (thank you, REI!) 88-68-78 double camber (bad) nordic rocker (good)

Fischer e99: 66-54-61, rocker, fits in track
Last edited by Baaahb on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 am

What about the S bound 98? Or the more expensive Objective?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 am

Baaaaaaahb,

My two cents: If I where you, I would not be combining a NNN track boot with NNN-BC binding and skis. They might "fit", but this is not the intended use. Track ski boots are relatively flimsy and not so warm. If you want to gear yourself up for XCD, get yourself a pair of BC boots. If you are real keen on Salomon, these are the current offtrack boot offering:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/6011-215/ ... path-Boots

IMO, there are better brands and boots out there, but these would be better than a track boot for sure.

If you insist on a set up based on the track ski boots, go with a NNN track binding and get yourself a real light and narrow BC ski, no larger than a E99 xtralite. Remember, you need these skis to fit in the tracks if you want to look semi-cool in those expert/intermediate trails. No one will enjoy you if your skis plough right trough em.

That will leave you with a pretty NON-downhill oriented ski. All of this is about compromise unfortunately. Good luck!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:59 am

Baaahb,
From what all the guys write here, the Fischer 78, and 88 are stiffer double cambered skis. The S-98 is a softer cambered turning ski.
Now as for as the Eon, Gareth (Lilcliffy) has written extensively about it being soft and easily turned. My guess is that at your weight, you would bend that ski easily. I have read enough reviews to know the Eon is lower cambered than the Fischer 78/88.
I don’t know anything about the current Rossignol offerings. My recollection is that the more narrow skis were quite cambered. That certainly could be different today.
To close, the Fischer S-98/112 are still cambered, but easily turned due to rocker, side cut, and softer camber. I own a S-112 (I don’t believe I skied it since the day my Åsnes Falketind 62 arrived, which is a wax ski). The Madshus Annum/ Epoch are softer in camber than the Fischer offerings. While the Eon is more cambered than it’s wider brethren, it is said to be quite easily turned.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:12 am

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:42 am
Those are wider and more turn oriented that this mission. I figure the ski will get 75% of its time on a fast surface (groomed or established track).

bgregoire, I bought these boots because they fit my feet, which is hard to do (long and low volume). They aslo don't fit your flimsy description..maybe a different model? The E99 is definitely a possibility; I've added it to the list. How would one describe its camber?

Interesting points, fisheater. I really hated my outtabounds cause they were too stiff and cambered, but that was like, last century. It makes it unclear to me what is the mission of these Fischer's...I guess distance touring (few turns) on ungroomed snow.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:27 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:02 am
Remember, you need these skis to fit in the tracks if you want to look semi-cool in those expert/intermediate trails. No one will enjoy you if your skis plough right trough em.
It's also worth noting that here in the Teton Valley, and also in nearby Jackson Hole, we are blessed with a large variety of community groomed (fee optional) track, usually groomed every two or three or four days. Couple this with the fact that most of the rental shops rent the wider "x-c" skis, the classic track gets ploughed pretty quickly...so it's not the same as a fee x-c area where the striders will rightly curse you out for ruining the track. Though the ski would also be used at fee areas, this would be less common and thus a minor inconvenience to then stay on the skating surface.

So the typical mission for this ski is following one of these tracks, and then continuing after the grooming stops and the trail usually starts a steeper ascent, with an established track continuing for a while and gradually petering out as the terrain becomes more difficult.

Eärendil
Ski style: Ski touring
Favorite Skis: Fischer E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Eärendil » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:37 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:12 am
lowangle al wrote:
Those are wider and more turn oriented that this mission. I figure the ski will get 75% of its time on a fast surface (groomed or established track).

bgregoire, I bought these boots because they fit my feet, which is hard to do (long and low volume). They aslo don't fit your flimsy description..maybe a different model? The E99 is definitely a possibility; I've added it to the list. How would one describe its camber?

Interesting points, fisheater. I really hated my outtabounds cause they were too stiff and cambered, but that was like, last century. It makes it unclear to me what is the mission of these Fischer's...I guess distance touring (few turns) on ungroomed snow.
I think my Fischer E99 are Ok on groomed trails. They are quite lively if you size up in length. Of course sizing up also means more work to turn. I concur that they are best suited for distance touring. For 75% use on groomed trails, I would prefer a more narrow ski like E89 or Åsnes MT51.

//Rickard//

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:47 am

Baaahb wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:12 am
lowangle al wrote:

The idea I am putti forth is find a boot with a proper bc sole such as nnn bc. The bar is chunkier and will better withstand rugged bc use, particularly at 200+ lbs.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:55 pm

Eärendil wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:37 pm
They are quite lively if you size up in length. Of course sizing up also means more work to turn. I concur that they are best suited for distance touring. For 75% use on groomed trails, I would prefer a more narrow ski like E89 or Åsnes MT51.

//Rickard//
What do you mean by "quite lively"....faster? Intended use includes trails that are groomed or established by use...probably little use on trails groomed for classic to professional race standards. You also are probably a better skier than me! I'm no slouch, but it always impresses me what some people can manage with skinny skis.

bgregoire, in any event, I would like to get an nnn bc boot that is more turn oriented, perhaps alpina alaska? I have a very long and low volume foot..I cannot get some boots tight enough even with the strings bringing the two sides completely together...and although after market pads can fix some situations, I really need a boot designed for narrow feet. (Scarpas are pretty good in this regard.) How is the alaska? Other, better suggestions? Thx.