Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99 (now Transnordic 66)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Unapologetic love note to the Fischer E99

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:10 pm

Struckski wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:31 pm
I've always wanted a pair of E99s....or at least for the past, uh, 15 years. I have had this notion of the E99s as a really solid touring ski with metal edges, etc. etc., but if you were feeling frisky, you could let 'em rip (perhaps risking life & limb) at the lift area. If you turn them, you were worthy.

I took them out for the first time today, and I had a blast. Soooooo stoked on these!

WORTHY!

Beautiful model! I have not seen this model before, it's a winner! Congratulations on finding your dreamy E99 ski, and welcome to this geekfest weirdo forum of skinny skis and floppy boots!

(and where you is, approx?)

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Those sure are nice, but not sure they have the E99 profile I am used to. Are you sure they are E99s?

Am also surprised they did waxless E99s that long ago! What little do i know...
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Struckski
Ski style: anything from zero to about 30 degrees...
Favorite Skis: Voile
Favorite boots: I dream of something lightweight, with good ankle ROM and a bellows...

Post by Struckski » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:08 pm

Here are a couple more pics. The cool thing, too, is that these seem to be the same model year as the skate skis--Fischer Top Skate--I bought when I was around 14 years old. I'm guessing these skis are 1989-1991 era...

Anyway, I am really psyched on these. I raced cyclocross (bike racing) for about 20 years, and these are basically the cyclocross bike of skis, so I'm set!

This is an awesome website! I'm learning a lot by reading folks' posts, etc. Mostly, I'm learning that I'm definitely not alone in liking that funky middle ground of skiing between nordic, backcountry, and downhill (though I have had a copy of "Total Telemark" on my bookshelf for years) :D And, while I was always intrigued by the Fischer E99 myself (just never had 'em), I had NO IDEA that they had such a cult following...until about a week ago!

(Writing from Oregon)
PXL_20201224_025113497.SMALL.jpeg
PXL_20201224_025052640.SMALL.jpeg

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am

Sorry if this has been asked and answered earlier....but this thread is getting pretty long. I am in the market for some used waxless E99's (about 200cm). How do I identify the current technology models? I assume there have been lots of changes to the skis over the years, some significant, others superficial. Thanks.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:36 am

@Baaahb I thought you didn't want a double-cambered ski? ;)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:47 am

I thought so, too, but you (and others) did a pretty good job of convincing me otherwise! : )

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:31 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 10:46 am
Sorry if this has been asked and answered earlier....but this thread is getting pretty long. I am in the market for some used waxless E99's (about 200cm). How do I identify the current technology models? I assume there have been lots of changes to the skis over the years, some significant, others superficial. Thanks.
The big thing is recently, the Xtralite/Xtralight (two spelling variants) models have the superlatively good Fischer Offtrack Crown and the infamous "nordic rocker" which can be good or bad depending on your perspective and what you want to do with the ski. A little bit is OK, this year's models I found it a bit too much and I think it's time to scale it back. The ones just prior to the Xtralites were stiffer and fully cambered, and had Mountain Tech Crown, which is like their Vario Crown of today, but a bit more basic and more negative than positive, and also very good.

The model has been around since the late 70's. There's a lot to unpack here. It really depends on what you can get your hands on! Then, show it off here! Yes!
Last edited by Woodserson on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:03 pm

@bgregoire
@Cannatonic

LOOK WHAT I FOUND! LEGENDARY

I've been looking for a while, diligently. Then, in a random listing for Voile 3pin cable bindings that I just happened to see for no reason, as I don't need any, but I looked and they were attached to these skis. I could barely make it out, was this the mythical pair of E99 goodness as recommended by bgregoire and Canna? ... I think so!

The skis were not for sale. I sent an email. I got a "not right now, I might hold on to them" and then "Ok, sure why not" a few weeks later. All very gentlemanly and polite. The vibes were cordial and warm, important for this purchase. A bit of back and forth on price & shipping. They arrived today. Skied twice by original owner. Perfect condition. In my size!
PXL_20201226_224847322.jpg
PXL_20201226_224634450.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:44 pm

@Woodserson, yes thats a very nice Xmas present you gave yourself. Those are precisely the pair my partener has been skiing for the last o 15 years. She crossed Laponia on them as well.

They look like new. What length did you get? Score! Now you need a pair of those that are slick and waxable!

I ski the waxables from the same era, the graphics are ALOT nicer in blue! Enjoy the snow if you have any (we don't anymore).
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:24 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:44 pm
@Woodserson, yes thats a very nice Xmas present you gave yourself. Those are precisely the pair my partener has been skiing for the last o 15 years. She crossed Laponia on them as well.

They look like new. What length did you get? Score! Now you need a pair of those that are slick and waxable!

I ski the waxables from the same era, the graphics are ALOT nicer in blue! Enjoy the snow if you have any (we don't anymore).
They are basically new. 205cm.

I have been using your/this post as my guiding light in my search!

We had amazing skiing conditions for a week. 24" here on the ground. All gone in a wall of water. I thought we'd keep at least a few inches on the ground for fast skiing, especially in the areas which were packed down or in the shadow lines of trees. Nope. Terrible. But I skied much in the past week, and really milked it. Beautiful night tonight, perfect for a moonlit tour on the farm fields. Too bad!