How old are Asnes Nansen skis if they don't have the skin attachment point?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bwm8142
Ski style: Trying not to fall down
Favorite Skis: Combat Nato

How old are Asnes Nansen skis if they don't have the skin attachment point?

Post by bwm8142 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:37 pm

Hey all. I am going to lay some blame on this forum for letting me know about all the wonderful asnes skis out there which led me to buying some Nansens off a local buy and sell. Skis looked like they have never even see snow, had NNNBC bindings, and were an incredibly fair price. However when I got them home, I realized they had no skin lock points like my Amundsen. So I wanted to ask, how old are these guys? They still have a picture of Nansen on them, but it's the older style graphic. Has Asnes made major changes to these skis over the years?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: How old are Asnes Nansen skis if they don't have the skin attachment point?

Post by bgregoire » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:58 pm

I think the Nansen concept is a classic and mostly unchanged for a long time. I’d say those skis are about 10 years old or a little more? Good buy
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:58 pm
I think the Nansen concept is a classic and mostly unchanged for a long time. I’d say those skis are about 10 years old or a little more? Good buy
They look like they have just been taking off the shelf new at the store so I'm surprised to hear they may be that old.

I took them for a first outing tonight and surprisingly found them a little harder to turn than my amundsen skis. I'm going to mark it up to first day on new skis and keep trying though!

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:50 pm

You should share a photo, we can confirm general age based on the graphics. Asnes could probably tell you the age based on some ID on the skis as well.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:55 pm

Are the Nansen and Amundsen both the same length?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:20 pm

bwm8142 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm
They look like they have just been taking off the shelf new at the store so I'm surprised to hear they may be that old.

I took them for a first outing tonight and surprisingly found them a little harder to turn than my amundsen skis. I'm going to mark it up to first day on new skis and keep trying though!
Last year there was a seller on eBay with a whole pile of Sondre skis that predated the Skinlock system, and which have the same sidecut as Amundsen skis, unlike today's narrower Sondres. They inspired me to buy some new Ingstad skis this season.

After being used to the Sondres, it took "a few miles" to figure out how to best turn the Ingstad skis. They require more angulation ("roll" in airplane terminology) and less moving the tips side to side ("yaw" in airplane terminology) for effective steering. I have never used the Nansen, but it would not surprise me if a similar thing was going on there.

You may want to give a few different techniques a try.

I am also curious about photos of your new skis, and information on what the sidecut measurements are. Are they the same as the current Nansen, or slightly different? :)

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:06 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:55 pm
Are the Nansen and Amundsen both the same length?
So the Nansen is slightly shorter than my Amundsen, which I was a little worried about but for the price I couldn't pass them up. Figured I could resell them or use them as a friend ski if I didn't like them. The K and G is a little more dead compared to the Amundsen, but not horrible. I do think ideally I would have gotten them longer, but I rolled the dice a little

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:07 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:50 pm
You should share a photo, we can confirm general age based on the graphics. Asnes could probably tell you the age based on some ID on the skis as well.
I will upload some pics when I get home!

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:13 pm

riel wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:20 pm
bwm8142 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:47 pm

Last year there was a seller on eBay with a whole pile of Sondre skis that predated the Skinlock system, and which have the same sidecut as Amundsen skis, unlike today's narrower Sondres. They inspired me to buy some new Ingstad skis this season.

After being used to the Sondres, it took "a few miles" to figure out how to best turn the Ingstad skis. They require more angulation ("roll" in airplane terminology) and less moving the tips side to side ("yaw" in airplane terminology) for effective steering. I have never used the Nansen, but it would not surprise me if a similar thing was going on there.

You may want to give a few different techniques a try.

I am also curious about photos of your new skis, and information on what the sidecut measurements are. Are they the same as the current Nansen, or slightly different? :)
Okay that makes sense actually. Thanks for using the airplane analogy, that really put an image in my mind that I think I could apply next time. I just found in a tele stance that my back ski wasn't coming around in the turn and kept kinda running into my front ankle if that makes sense?

The sidecut appears to be the same as the current Nansen, but I didn't know if the materials had changed at all over the years. The camber is much more pronounced than my amundsen, but the nanse is softer on the last few inches towards the ground when I stand on it.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:06 pm

Re- Amundsen turning easier-

Is your Amundsen an older model as well?

The Nansen looks "new"? Did you de-tune the edges on the Nansen?
If they are unused, they could have the legendary Asnes razor-sharp factory edges.
If they have not been detuned in the shovel and tail- that could easily explain them being reluctant in turn initiation/release.

What are the edges like on the Amundsen in comparison?

Impossible for me to have a sense on what is going on without having a clear picture of the geometry and flex of these two skis in question...

Gamme the Elder describes the original Nansen geometry as the "wet dream" of traditional Telemark skis.

Something real weird going on if the Amundsen is easier to turn than the Nansen- unless it is an older and completely different flexing "Amundsen"...

I was under the impression that the "Amundsen" and the "Rago" it replaced has always been their stiff, straight, rock-solid stable, directional XC expedition- designed for maximum support and stability going straight ahead- not for turning...

Read Gamme's review/comparison: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... e-fjellski

I am suspicious about your edge tuning...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.