How old are Asnes Nansen skis if they don't have the skin attachment point?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: How old are Asnes Nansen skis if they don't have the skin attachment point?

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:07 pm

@riel
Re- turning the Ingstad BC-
Did you detune the shovel/tail on your Ingstad?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bwm8142
Ski style: Trying not to fall down
Favorite Skis: Combat Nato

Post by bwm8142 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:26 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:06 pm
Re- Amundsen turning easier-

Is your Amundsen an older model as well?

The Nansen looks "new"? Did you de-tune the edges on the Nansen?
If they are unused, they could have the legendary Asnes razor-sharp factory edges.
If they have not been detuned in the shovel and tail- that could easily explain them being reluctant in turn initiation/release.

What are the edges like on the Amundsen in comparison?

Impossible for me to have a sense on what is going on without having a clear picture of the geometry and flex of these two skis in question...

Gamme the Elder describes the original Nansen geometry as the "wet dream" of traditional Telemark skis.

Something real weird going on if the Amundsen is easier to turn than the Nansen- unless it is an older and completely different flexing "Amundsen"...

I was under the impression that the "Amundsen" and the "Rago" it replaced has always been their stiff, straight, rock-solid stable, directional XC expedition- designed for maximum support and stability going straight ahead- not for turning...

Read Gamme's review/comparison: https://www.utemagasinet.no/fjellski/te ... e-fjellski

I am suspicious about your edge tuning...
My amundsen is a bit older as well with the more blurry picture on it, not the photo realistic one. However it does have the skin lock on it.

The edge tuning very well could be the case as we have not so nice snow at the moment. Really hard and crusty on top and soft and mushy under the crust. I know with my downhill skis I had the edges tuned once and they didn't gummy stone the tips and tails and it was like trying to turn a train on tracks. This may actually be the issue so I'll hit the edge with a gummy stone when I get home from work and see if that helps.

The amundsen has a reputation of not being able to turn very well and I am just a beginner, so take this with a grain of salt, but I actually don't find it too horrible to turn. I did a tour on sunday out on some rolling terrain and had some success in making telemark style turns, and even managed to (accidentally) parallel turn on some more solid snow. I went with @Genoah77 who brought his Natos, and we both had a blast trying out different turns and techniques. Now, I did fall a lot but I don't think my skis are holding me back.

The nanses just seem like the back ski won't come around the corner with me, and I am willing to bet that you are right that this may be an edging issue. If the tip is really sharp it is probably tracking straight forward and not initiating a turn. This coupled with my low knowledge of what the heck to do when I get pointed downhill are probably compounding each other.

I will feel the edges on the amundsen in comparison when I get home to see what the difference is between the two. I can see that the shape of the nansen should be easier to turn, but it doesn't seem to be easier when they are on my feet. More miles may be required to unlock their potential!

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:52 am

They look very silver in person. The binding is silver also - sharp looking ski really.
signal-2021-02-02-220302.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:06 am

Thanks for the pic. That is definitely the oldest of the three Nansen graphics I know (so confirms my assumption about 9-10 or a little more years). Its also the toughest looking finish. My Amundsens without skin trap are of the same era. I bet you have a "made in Norway" somewhere on them. They don't produced them in Norway anymore. Good ski. Enjoy!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:06 am

My amundsens have a similar graphic but they do include the skin lock on them. Both have the made in Norway claim in the tail of the skis, which is a nice touch! The condition of both the used Anses skis I got either speak to how little the previous owner used them, or how insanely durable the skis are. Both are beautiful skis still.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:20 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:07 pm
@riel
Re- turning the Ingstad BC-
Did you detune the shovel/tail on your Ingstad?
I have not bothered making any changes to them yet. They seem to work well, and I'm still in the middle of getting used to them.

One thing that sets aside the Ingstad from the other skis being discussed is just how far the center of the running surface (skis squished bottom to bottom, middle of the furthest points where they touch) is behind the balance point. The center of the running surface is closer to my heel than to my toes on the Ingstads! Something like 8" behind the balance point.

That makes it relatively easy to make the tips go where I want them. With other skis I have to twist my boot to move the ski, but with the Ingstad you can kinda push the tips along, as well.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am

I read somewhere that Åsnes stopped producing skis in Norway in late 2008 :)

bwm8142

Post by bwm8142 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:08 am

Roelant wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:33 am
I read somewhere that Åsnes stopped producing skis in Norway in late 2008 :)
Oh sweet, even older than I initially expected. On closer inspection my amundsen don't say made in Norway but the nansens do. Something makes me like them even more now that I know how old they are and how great of shape they are in