E109 setup?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: E109 setup?

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Hello Tahoe Trails!
Great to hear from you!
Yes the Asnes MT65 (USGI surplus ski) is a stiff, heavy cambered ski.

I am wondering what kind of tur you are looking for? The Fischer 78 is very different from the 98- and the Objective BC is a whole other thing altogether!

Is the 169cm Fischer 78 the recommended length for your weight?

Typical NNNBC boots are ideal for the Fischer 78.
The stiffest of the NNNBC boots are fine with the Fischer 98.
The stiffest of the NNNBC boots are fine with the Obj BC in ideal snow conditions- otherwise most skiers would need a Telemark boot to drivew a ski as wide as the Obj BC.

NNNBC vd 3pin is contreversial subject I'm afraid...
If you are considering NNNBC vd 3pin, my personal persepctive is that it is more about the boot than the binding.

If you need/want the stability of a Telemark boot then you need 75mm bindings as there are no Telemark boots currently made for the NNNBC binding (there are some used NNNBC Telemark boots out there).

Suggested process:
1) skiing context: snow; terrain; etc.
2) Choose a boot to match the skiing context.
3) Choose a binding to match the boot.

The Fischer 78 might be an ideal ski for your skiing context- in which case the NNNBC boot you have- assuming it fits would be an ideal match.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:52 pm

Tahoetrails22 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:15 pm
I have a Traverse 78 in 169mm waiting for pickup for me at REI -- trying to decide if I should give those a try, or opt for something like an Sbound 98...can't figure out what the extra $$ for an Objective BC would get me? I'm mainly concerned with being able to safely make some tight turns downhill. I feel like an 8-year old again trying to snowplow those 200mm Asnes.
The Traverse 78 is a great ski. Not quite as fast as the Ingstad in fresh snow, but the grip is more forgiving with the long Fischer fishscales, and the ski also handles great on compacted snow. A great all rounder in the 80mm wide cross country ski segment.

Tahoetrails22

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm

The site says 169mm should be for under 145lbs, which is right, but seems short.
FB5CA136-C988-4776-B217-3DDD1A9102E6.jpeg
Been doing the rolling terrain but would like to venture further up the steeps. Trying to decide if I can get away with these leathers or if I should be looking at a plastic boot for this type of terrain. Been mostly following snowmobile trails.

Tahoetrails22

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:50 pm

FD8C9F5F-49D4-45CF-AA5A-7DD31E1FEF03.jpeg

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:54 pm

Tahoetrails22 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm
The site says 169mm should be for under 145lbs, which is right, but seems short.
Those skis have a pretty stiff camber. In length 189cm they are stiff enough for somebody weighing 210lbs.
Tahoetrails22 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:47 pm
FB5CA136-C988-4776-B217-3DDD1A9102E6.jpeg

Been doing the rolling terrain but would like to venture further up the steeps. Trying to decide if I can get away with these leathers or if I should be looking at a plastic boot for this type of terrain. Been mostly following snowmobile trails.
At length 169, those boots might well be enough.

Tahoetrails22

Post by Tahoetrails22 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:08 pm

Thanks riel, thanks Gareth. Will probably give it a try.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:15 am

Tahoetrails, those boots look like good NNN-BC boots. So they should match up nicely with E-109’s. I think you will enjoy it very much.
Looking at your snow, and knowing that there is more higher, I would bet you end up with a bigger set up some time as well. Something along the lines of Objective / Vector with a T-4 / Excursion type of boot.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm a bit late to the topic here but, I agree that the Traverse 78 seems like an excellent all-round ski with waxless base. Those boots kook like Crispi Stetind? They are very good BC boots, probably amongst the better ones for the NNN-BC system. I initially got blisters behind the heel from mine. Tape up preventively before the first longer outing ;)
3 pin 75mm will not automatically get you better control unless you go with old fashioned stitched sole leather boots or plastic boots such as the Scarpa T4 or Scott Excursion. Those do make an enormous difference but leathers are better for touring in the flats. It was said before, the boots make a bigger difference than the binding system.
I have both Voile Cable and Rottefella Super Telemark 3 pin bindings and I much prefer the Rottefella, they clamp down more securely on the ducklbills of typical touring boots and are easier to operate, while still working great with T4s for example.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Fischer sizing wise from my experience:

The Fischer weight recommendations are aimed at a lower skill level, especially the S-Bound series (T78, E88, S98)

Compact geometry S-Bound skis: My wife is 5'6" and 125lbs. She has the 169cm Excursion 88 and it seems to work well for her. She is an intermediate nordic skier. 179cm would not work for her she wouldn't get enough glide and be frustrated, especially with her skillset. The T78 and E88 are higher cambered skis.

E99/109 skis: She's on the 185cm E99, and it works well for her if the snow is soft, or grippy. There is some loss of grip in more iced up hardpack conditions. She could be on the 180cm and still be OK and have more grip in firm/slick conditions but less glide in all other snow types. Depends on preference here. The E109 sizes down about 5cm from the E99.

I am 160lbs and should be on 179cm skis according to Fischer. I get nothing but drag on this size ski, I have a 179cm 98. I get decent, all around performance at 189cm, but could easily size up to the 199cm, but my experience level is high, and I like glidey skis over grippy skis for the skiing I do with these, which is mostly flat terrain.