Rossignol BC 100 Positrack

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Rossignol BC 100 Positrack

Post by Tom M » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:45 pm

Elavigne wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:23 pm
Hey there treehugger,

Just got about four days out with my new Rossignol BC Positrack 100's and I must say that I love them!

I had the chance to take them out in a wide variety of conditions, terrains and temperatures (Windblown, POWDER, groomers, trail and crud). So, I now feel comfortable talking about them a bit.
Thanks for the honest review. I owned a set of Rossi bc 70's (circa 2012). I thought they were an OK ski, similar to an equivalent Fischer Ski, with just a little bit less grip in the traction department. I still have friends that ski Rossi bc skis and they do just fine with them. The skis that Rossi sells today are not the same skis that I owned. One good thing about REI is that they have an amazing return policy, and that would be in treehugger's favor. If I needed a new set of skis and the new Rossi's were the only ones available, I'd give them a go, especially for use in soft powder. I'd be willing to bet that they would be lots of fun. The fact that they are so light is intriguing.

eddieddy

Post by eddieddy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:09 pm

Elavigne, wondering if you are still liking the Rossi BC 100 and what length you are using?

Thanks!

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:36 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:42 pm
I have only handled them and flexed them in the shop.

The waxless scaled base still sucks.

I personally don't see how they could be better than an Annum, an S-Bound 112, or even the outgoing Rossi BC-110 thatit replaces...
I don't get the feeling the Rossignol BC skis are built to be particularly good. To me it feels like they've been built to be cheap enough for use in a rental fleet (Rossignol dominates the rental market), while still good enough that people won't mind using them too much.

I have a pair of older Rossignol BC90 skis here, and they are useless in soft fresh snow. The flex of the ski is so soft, I'll be hitting the bottom with the middle of the ski while the tip and tail are up in the air, laughing at me.

The Asnes USGI, Fischer S-Bound 112, and Asnes Ingstad all seem like they would have better flotation, due to stiffer flex. The S-Bound 112 and the Ingstad also seem to turn better, due to the nordic rocker and sidecut matching up with each other so nicely.

Just throwing generous sidecut, camber, nordic rocker, and some flex pattern into a ski isn't enough. All the elements need to be designed to work together, so when you initiate a turn, the rocker and sidecut both help grab the snow at the same time, etc.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:25 pm

The previous generation BC90 = Fischer 88 without Offtrack Crown-Easy skin
The previous generation BC110 = Fischer 112 without Offtrack Crown-Easy skin

I have friends with both of these skis above and I have handled and tried them many times- the camber and flexx profile is identical to the equivalent Fischer. Fischer's Offtrack Crown is MUCH better than Rossi's waxless-scaled base.

My friends love both of these skis above ↑. I personally am not a big fan- but I am not a big fan of the Fischer 88 and 112 either...

I have only handled and flexed the current BC80 and BC100 in the shop- they seem pretty good to me...
They are also getting excellent reviews- both here and elsewhere.

Gamme the Elder's test comparison (for UTE magazine) of current "wide" scaled XCD skis scored the BC100 highest (9/10) beating both the Madshus Annum and the Fischer 112...

My understanding is that the pros at Aventure Nordique were involved in the R&D of the the current BC80 and BC100.
@riel There was an older Rossi BC90 that has a waspy 60mm waist- is that the model you are speaking of?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:00 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:25 pm
I have only handled and flexed the current BC80 and BC100 in the shop- they seem pretty good to me...
They are also getting excellent reviews- both here and elsewhere.

Gamme the Elder's test comparison of current "wide" scaled XCD skis scored the BC100 highest (9/10) beating both the Madshus Annum and the Fischer 112...

My understanding is that the pros at Aventure Nordique were involved in the R&D of the the current BC80 and BC100.
@riel There was an older Rossi BC90 that has a waspy 60mm waist- is that the model you are speaking of?
Aventure Nordique were involved and Régis, he seems to do all the reviews, gave them a glaring review. It seems that they are totally different or a major evolution from previous models.But it seems they forgot to put any effort in the visual appearance :o

Here is the link to the Aventure Nordique review. It’s in French but now that the skiing season is over for most, you must have some free time to learn french 8-) They have a lot of reviews available.