Ski to compliment E99/Transnordic 66

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
CoreyLayton

Ski to compliment E99/Transnordic 66

Post by CoreyLayton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:58 pm

Hello.

Experienced Nordic Skiier in the Northeast (central NY).
5'10" 190lbs.

I currently own the Fischer Transnordic Crown 66 205cm (former E99), with Rottefella Magnum NNNBC, and Fischer BCX Grand Tour (former BCX5) boots.

I love the setup, but am considering adding another ski for more "trailblazing" vs "fast/cruising" work.
Something that performs better than the T66 in new, deep snow - and compatible with the boots I already own. Also, I plan to stay with a waxless base.

I generally ski a mix of: flat open fields/sports fields/golf courses, rolling/hilly logging/snowmobile trails, hilly hiking trails, and woodland areas/"make my own trails". I don't ski any *long* uphills/or descents. I don't ever ski tracked trails. (<<<except for tracked routes I made myself.)

My "home base" route, right out my backdoor, is about half flat open field, and half make my own trail through the woods and rolling/variable/hilly. I ski this route a LOT for exercise. About a 4mi loop.

Strongly considering the Fischer Excursion 88 (in either 189cm or 199cm).
Also thought about the Fischer Traverse 78. (<< thinking this model is not different enough from the T66?)

I need to strike a good balance between float/trail breaking and "good enough" kick/glide. I definitely do not want a pure descent ski with only "shuffle" performance on the flats.

Thoughts?
any other makes/models to consider besides these Fischers?

Thank you.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Ski to compliment E99/Transnordic 66

Post by riel » Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:34 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:58 pm
I currently own the Fischer Transnordic Crown 66 205cm (former E99), with Rottefella Magnum NNNBC, and Fischer BCX Grand Tour (former BCX5) boots.

I love the setup, but am considering adding another ski for more "trailblazing" vs "fast/cruising" work.
Something that performs better than the T66 in new, deep snow - and compatible with the boots I already own. Also, I plan to stay with a waxless base.

Strongly considering the Fischer Excursion 88 (in either 189cm or 199cm).
Also thought about the Fischer Traverse 78. (<< thinking this model is not different enough from the T66?)
Both are great options. The Åsnes Ingstad is another good ski in the same category, with possibly a little faster glide, but requiring a little more technique to get the kick and glide right.

Personally I prefer the stiffer tip in the Ingstad over the softer tip in the Traverse 78, but both skis are great.

I have no personal experience with the Excursion 88, but have heard it is very similar. My only worry with a wider ski is that you might want a bigger boot to turn those reliably, while the T78 and Ingstad should both be fine with the boots you already have, even when the snow is hard packed in places.

CoreyLayton

Post by CoreyLayton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 pm

riel wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:34 pm
Both are great options. The Åsnes Ingstad is another good ski in the same category, with possibly a little faster glide, but requiring a little more technique to get the kick and glide right
yeah - If I were looking to outfit with a waxable ski, I would probably go the Asnes Gamme/Ingstad route.

Thanks for all of your advice.

Do you think the Traverse offers enough of a difference from the Transnordic to justify it?

What’s nice about the Traverse crown, is it also has the feature/compatibility with Fischer’s ‘Easy Skin’. Not sure I would use it for long climbs much, but for Spring ski conditions were everything re-freezes each night and things get hard/icy it might help?

(the Transnordic crown model does not have Easy Skin compatibility, however)

johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Post by johnnycanuck » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:43 pm

I don't have advice on the topic but curious how you feel about the Transnordic 66? It's one of the pairs in considering and my terrain is very similar to what you describe. Open farm land, meadows and golf courses. There are hills in one of the parks I ski in but primarily flat terrain. Eastern Ontario specifically.

Anyways I'm wondering how it performs, and if you find them limiting in fresh snow? That is my big fear with them, being unable to get going in the fresh stuff. Last year we had around 12" deep right outside my backdoor.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:46 pm

There's a Transnordic 82 Easy Skin. You will be at about $500 with skins and bindings.

Asnes does make waxless skis, but they don't do so well at climbing.

You might want to give the Asnes USGI skis a whirl at $50.

CoreyLayton

Post by CoreyLayton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:15 pm

John Dee wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:46 pm
You might want to give the Asnes USGI skis a whirl at $50.
cool!
I didnt know about these.
Will research, and read, read, read…

thank you.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:35 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:43 pm
I don't have advice on the topic but curious how you feel about the Transnordic 66? It's one of the pairs in considering and my terrain is very similar to what you describe. Open farm land, meadows and golf courses. There are hills in one of the parks I ski in but primarily flat terrain. Eastern Ontario specifically.

Anyways I'm wondering how it performs, and if you find them limiting in fresh snow? That is my big fear with them, being unable to get going in the fresh stuff. Last year we had around 12" deep right outside my backdoor.
There are absolutel mountains of info on this forum about this ski.

Two good threads on the E99 (now called TN66)

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1289
https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3238
Last edited by Woodserson on Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:41 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:16 pm

Do you think the Traverse offers enough of a difference from the Transnordic to justify it?

Yes. They are both killer skis, and the backbone of my non-Asnes/waxless collection. I have multiple pairs of E99's and SBound 78's/T78's. They are my long distance touring skis when I want a waxless ski. If I think conditions will be deeper snow or rotten snow I go T78. Packed snow I go E99 for speed.

Definitely go 199 if you can. This year the T78 took a dump in length and lost 3cm. I'm unsure how this will affect performance or if they increased camber to make up for it.

The 88 in a 199 will be decent too, a lot more float, possible a bit slower and heavier. But it's also a good one.

The T78 should have subtle rocker. I got a pair last year that had oodles of it. If it seems like a lot of rocker, consider returning or not buying and looking for another pair. The more rocker the slower the ski

Asnes wise, you would do well with the Ingstad for more float. Go 205. You would probably be too heavy for the Nansen. A Combat NATO would also be appropriate, definitely a stiff big cambered charging trailbreaking ski.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:06 pm

CoreyLayton wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:15 pm

cool!
I didnt know about these.
Will research, and read, read, read…

thank you.
Also don't read too long and miss out on inventory. Shit's gonna be crazy.

Welcome to the forum dude! Where in NY? Your loop seems awesome, what great location to have that out your backdoor!

CoreyLayton

Post by CoreyLayton » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:35 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:06 pm
Also don't read too long and miss out on inventory. Shit's gonna be crazy.

Welcome to the forum dude! Where in NY? Your loop seems awesome, what great location to have that out your backdoor!
yeah - stock is limited just about everywhere. Initially, I was planning to research and wait ‘til Black Friday sales to place an order. But that seems like risky strategy, now…

Binghamton area.

My “home loop” is pretty good.
Starts out slowly descending woodland for about 1/2 mile,then connects to a school’s ball fields, and then a town park. Flat, open, and fast. Then a 1/4 mile climb up an old logging trail. and finally a slowly descending trek through the woods back home.

I got smart this year and just walked the route this weekend and marked trees along the way. Will beat spending my first 2-3 outings “rediscovering” the best route through the woods portions. I even brought pruning shears and a small saw to clear low branches and saplings along the route, this time. Its tricky through the woods because its along/around the side of a hill - so several springs and/or drainage troughs to cross and/or avoid completely. Also, some patches of prickers/brambles to avoid as well. (my Collie will appreciate me not dragging him through those this winter. lol)

Thank you for the welcome.
This is a nice forum, and I spent a week or so reading here already, before making my first post today.