Damage to top plate edges of ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lauriek334

Damage to top plate edges of ski

Post by lauriek334 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:49 am

Just started skiing with new NTN freeride bindings using Scarpa TX Pro boots. Mounted the bindings on a brand new pair of K2 Hippy Stinx that I had sitting in their original packaging for the last 5 yrs (I got them at an end of year sale and never mounted them up with my 7TM bindings)
I'm really enjoying the control with the NTN bindings and the ability to weight the rear ski very positively.
The one issue I am seeing is that there are top plate edge damage to the front of each ski which must be from the other ski edge
Is this common? Is this something unique to NTN?
I checked my old K2 SuperStinx which I have been skiing with 7TM bindings for the last 8 years and do not see the same amount of top edge cuts that I am seeing on the new setup.

bogon

Re: Damage to top plate edges of ski

Post by bogon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:22 pm

Can't say for Hippy Stinx, but top sheets of (b/w) Public Enemy '2007 were soft and prone to that (cuts as deep as nine millimeters occured to me after falls), and AK Enemy circa that same time are prone to top sheet material chipping, not only cutting.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

TeleKräusen

Post by TeleKräusen » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:41 pm

I get that in my regular cables. It's just from me being sloppy and not having a wide enough stance.
Maybe there is something unique about NTNs that would force a bit more snap and power to the edge when accidentally bumping the skis together. :?:
Just sliced a chunk off my BDs with my other ski edge, I get sad when i look down now.

bogon

Post by bogon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:09 am

Okay, I'll rephrase:

This is common with K2 (or other mfg) skis that do not have Titanal directly under top sheet.
The binding makes no difference. ALpine binding will yield the same results.
I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

TomH

Post by TomH » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 pm

It's pretty common, and definitely not exclusive to NTN - you're likely noticing it more with the hippy's since they're wider than your supers (so the same stance width is more likely to make contact), and that era of K2s had notoriously soft top-sheets on the "team" skis (hippys, piste-pipes, AK's, public enemies, etc.).

I wouldn't worry about it, but if they get too deep, just slather some epoxy in the area to keep water from getting where it shouldn't.