Sbound 98s or 112s

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Hhowden

Sbound 98s or 112s

Post by Hhowden » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:27 pm

I am trying to decide between the two. I ski in Western WY (Togwotee and Lander). The caveat is I’m a bigger guy at 265#. I’m an athletic build but still heavy. So do I go wider at 112, but the only length I could find was 179cm? Or do I go 98s at 189 cm?

Thanks for the help and please let me know if I’m totally on the wrong path

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Sbound 98s or 112s

Post by fisheater » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:18 pm

I’m don’t know if the S-112 other than cosmetically and skin lock system since my old brownie S-112 at 189 cm were manufactured. At my 190 lbs the scales were a real drag on consolidated trails. In soft snow it’s a good downhill ski. I wouldn’t suggest shorter for someone in my weight class.
What kind of boots will you be skiing?

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:58 pm

Hhowden wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:27 pm
I am trying to decide between the two. I ski in Western WY (Togwotee and Lander). The caveat is I’m a bigger guy at 265#. I’m an athletic build but still heavy. So do I go wider at 112, but the only length I could find was 179cm? Or do I go 98s at 189 cm?

Flotation is only one factor, and possibly not the biggest one. Sinking in too far is annoying.

It may be more important how easily you can control the skis when the snow is consolidated. After all, having your skis go totally out of control could be dangerous, and that's worse than annoying.

If you are planning to use leather boots like the Alpina Alaska or the Fischer Transnordic, I don't think I would want to go wider than the S-Bound 98. I say that as someone with S-Bound 112 skis, and now only ski those with Scott Excursion boots. Of course, New England does not generally have the kind of snow you get out in Wyoming, but still...

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:14 am

@Hhowden, it would help to know more about how you plan to use the skis.
I have skied Togwotee Pass two times, and it could be a walk in the park on gentle terrain, or some pretty serious terrain up there, like Breccia Peak.
(As a matter of fact, my profile picture was take up on Togwotee Pass!) :)
At your weight, I would maybe think about a longer and or stiffer ski.
I say longer / stiffer especially since you are athletic and would have the strength to drive the skis.
On skis that are too short for your weight, the skis will drag on consolidated snow, and probably over-flex in deeper snow.

I think others could be more helpful with ski suggestions knowing what type of skiing you plan to do and what boots you plan to use. And also, your experience level would be helpful.

All the above is pretty matter-of-fact.
I will also add a welcome to you as a new member here, and hope you find a setup that works well for you.

freeheelfreemind
Ski style: Telemark
Favorite Skis: S-Bound 112s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75

Post by freeheelfreemind » Wed Nov 03, 2021 6:36 am

Whatever you decide on do not delay your purchase. I literally got REI's last pair of 189 S-bound 112s. Then within hours they were sold out of all sizes. Supply issues in this economy.

Good luck.
I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.
Not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Hhowden

Post by Hhowden » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:30 am

Stephen wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:14 am
I have skied Togwotee Pass two times, and it could be a walk in the park on gentle terrain, or some pretty serious terrain up there, like Breccia Peak.
I say longer / stiffer especially since you are athletic and would have the strength to drive the skis.
On skis that are too short for your weight, the skis will drag on consolidated snow, and probably over-flex in deepe@Hhowden

I think others could be more helpful with ski suggestions knowing what type of skiing you plan to do and what boots you plan to use. And also, your experience level would be helpful.

I will also add a welcome to you as a new member here, and hope you find a setup that works well for you.
[@Hhowden[/me@Hhowden
that’s awesome! I was planning on trying Breccia this year. The boots I would be using would be Alpina Alaska’s. I like the exploring off trail with some minor downhills. Nothing crazy. Do you know of any stiffer skis?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:20 am

Hhowden wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:30 am
Stephen wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:14 am
On skis that are too short for your weight, the skis will drag on consolidated snow, and probably over-flex in deepe@Hhowden

[@Hhowden[/me@Hhowden
that’s awesome! I was planning on trying Breccia this year. The boots I would be using would be Alpina Alaska’s. I like the exploring off trail with some minor downhills. Nothing crazy. Do you know of any stiffer skis?
@

Although some have skied stiffer skis with the Alaska boot, my belief is that the Alaska is a good match for the S-112. Now if you mount your ski 75 mm (3-pin) you have more options because you always have the option of using a light plastic boot like a T-4/Excursion or a stiff leather boot like a Ski March. So if you go 75 mm you could maybe go up to a Voile Objective, if you had a plastic boot for mank@Hhowden
I can handle a S-112 nicely on an Alaska. The ski isn’t very torsionally rigid, I can over power it with my Ski March boot. The Alaska is no problem if it’s icy, but In mank the sole of the boot is going to get torqued a bit. That’s when it nice to have a more powerful boot. However once you get a T-4, then I would by thinking about a V-6 or@Hhowden
Now if you want to stay NNN-BC, and you want to ski deep snow in hilly terrain the Åsnes Ingstad gets great reviews here. It would be a great ski to combine with an Alaska@Hhowden

So are you touring, or looking for fall line turns?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178)
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:40 pm

@Hhowden, maybe you know this already, but there is a fairly wide range of options available when it comes to the equipment you could use.
And again, at your 260 athletic pounds, I'm concerned that you should be on a longer / stiffer ski than might normally be considered, and I don't have a good idea of what that would be, but others will.

Based on the very general statements you have made so far, you could ski on fairly light XC skis, with either 75mm or NNN BC bindings and boots. Or, you could go with much more burly skis, and 75mm or some other binding system, like NTN, Voile Switchback, or Voile cable or hardwire binding and a plastic boot, like the Scarpa T4 or even T2.

Setups on the opposite ends of that range of choices will give you MUCH different skiing experiences.
So, it would help to know if you want to keep things light and deal with the limitations imposed by lighter equipment, or want a burly setup, that will not tour (ski on gentler terrain) as well, but will handle difficult conditions more easily.

A lot of people end up with multiple sets of equipment that will handle a very broad range of conditions, rather than relying on one setup to do it all.

The more you can describe the main type of skiing you want to do, the better people here can help out.
For example, you say "minor downhills."
That could mean 10* open slopes to one person and 20* slopes through the tree to another.
I haven't looked at the map, but depending on what slope you ski, Breccia Peak could be even steeper.

@Tom M should chime in here...

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Yeah, at your weight, you're kind of on a plank between two chairs. The longer the ski is, and the more sidecut, the stiffer it'll have to be to reduce drag and that sinking feeling, I'd guess.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:47 pm

Hhowden wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:27 pm

Howdy Hhowden. I'm a big fan of the Sbound 98, and it is a great offtrail XCD ski for most XCD conditions in Western Wyoming. While I haven't skied the 112, it is of a similar design, just wider, heavier, and I'm guessing with a bit less camber. The 112 replaced the 125 in Fischer's line up and I skied 125's for about 6 years using both 3 pins and switchbacks, using leathers when the conditions were good and Scarpa T4's when the conditions were more challenging. If you are 6 or more feet tall, you will need to hold out for the 189 cm size. Keep in mind that the 98's and 112's are too wide and burley to be used in the groomed track at Beaver Creek above Lander. As you know, there is a huge variety of off trail terrain and conditions above Lander and Togwotee Pass. Some of it is most enjoyed with a light weight setup, and then there is the steep and deep, which for me requires plastic boots and downhill skis, and everything in-between. It is the everything in between that the 98's are best suited.

If you haven't already, check out my Youtube channel. There are lots of ski videos, several at Togwotee. It will give you a good idea of what I pick from my quiver for the various conditions and tours in this area.