Forum name change?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Forum name change?

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:22 pm

mikesee wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 am
Johnny wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:17 am
Try to follow me here: If there are few to no threads devoted to turning, how shall I participate?

I just took a 20+ year break from skiing. Trying to get back up to speed. When I get there, I'll have things to share.

Will there be an appropriate place to share them?
Mike, I'd suggest breaking your questions down into digestible bites. For example, having been away for 20 years, you likely have questions on newer boots, bindings, what kind of resort skiing people are engaged in and so forth. Post questions in those categories, individually.

Many of us love those topics and will respond, but for many who have been here for a while, those topics are a bit in our/their past. Many of the topics are on gear that people are more new to. Given the accessibility to areas where you can tour, the ability to do it with small amounts of snow (it is early season, after all) and the inexpensive nature of the gear, I think there are just more people trying to get info in those areas.

What are you on now? Where are you skiing (I think I recall you're up in Alaska? And is ORSO ever going to reopen?)? Are you going to hit Alyeska when it opens (I'm drooling!)? Are you skinning up down south of Anchorage? Do you need a binding you can tour on? Stay with your old 75mm - if you still have it, or go NTN? Interested in the differences in feel between the two? These are all topics you'd get responses to....even if it's only a few of us.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:25 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:10 pm
old timer Curtis Johns posted this on fb today!
[...]
That is a great video. I definitely recommend watching the whole thing.

I like to think that maybe, 20 years ago, I could have done SOME of the skiing shown in that video on that equipment. I am sure I can't do it now. Skiing steep, zipper line, bumps on 1980s cross country gear looks pretty wild.

Franz

Post by Franz » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:18 pm

House of PooPoo has a certain ring to it.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Franz wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:18 pm
House of PooPoo has a certain ring to it.
Dignified.

HoPP has my vote.

Well, it would.

If www.wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!.no weren't available.

Which it is.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:57 pm

John_XCD wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am
jyw5 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:10 pm
old timer Curtis Johns posted this on fb today!

wow! he really ripped in his time (and probably still does). would love to be able to ski like that on my gear.

I have that 123 tips book. I think if you ski light tele gear, this book is a must.

I watch a ton of videos and spend a small part of the time practicing technique every time I am out. It's a life long journey for me. we all can't be naturals like those guys in the video.
I stumbled across that video recently. As well as this one from Killington (

Can anyone ski like that in the modern era? There are a number of 80s/early 90s era videos but nothing in the last 30 yrs. I feel relatively good about my telemark skiing on nnnbc in powder/corn but this flying through the air, jump turns, moguls is wild. Must there be a re-rebirth of telemark in the 2020s after digging through out of print books and lost videos?

awesome. I think its rare in the modern era...but they are here in Alaska. I've seen kids ski the steeps on skate skis and do jumps, 360/720s, and inverted aerials.

But for 99.9%, people are too lazy (or too old) for that.

Purple Hangover

Unanswered Question

Post by Purple Hangover » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:58 am

So I posed a couple questions on the thread regarding the name of this forum yesterday but never got an answer. Having not been here in ten years I can't help but notice the huge change in this place. It's no longer really a "telemark" site and none of the old contributors are here. What happened?

PS - I used to post here long ago but not a lot - more of a lurker. Can't even remember what screen name I used.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Unanswered Question

Post by riel » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am

The same thing happened that happens in any online community: the people who participate talk about the things they like to talk about.

I'm not sure exactly what it is you like to talk about, but if it's in any way skiing related I'll probably have an interest in participating in your threads :)

Purple Hangover

Post by Purple Hangover » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:19 am

riel wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:03 am
The same thing happened that happens in any online community: the people who participate talk about the things they like to talk about.
That can't be it. I was a pretty persistent lurker in here from about 2003 to......circa 2012? 2013? Back then the cast of characters was different and the threads, with some exceptions, were all about telemark skis, boots and bindings and telemark skiing in general with a liberal dose of fun sorta off-topic discussions that were often a hoot and kept the place real. It was just....different. This is really more of a XC skiing site now and the hi-jinx is completely gone. That's not a judgment (I really like XC skiing) but there's absolutely no question that the place has changed significantly. In fact it's not even recognizable as the place it was in, say, 2009. Am I thinking of another site? I'm pretty sure it was called Telemark Talk. How long has this place been around?

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:36 am

For about three years I've been trying to steer the conversation here to people's favourite lichen, hoofcare tips, how to avoid Danish people with a shooting license and getting the smell of musk out of your underwool in the rutting season and all people want to talk about is leather and 'grope wax'.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:42 am

There was another site. Telemark tips.
https://earnyourturns.com/18701/telemar ... -2013-rip/

It died. IDK if this site evolved out of that, or if it is a case of parallel evolution.

There's an old fighter pilot joke:

How does a woman know she's half way through a date with a fighter pilot?
It's about the time he says, "I've been talking about myself for hours now. Why don't you talk about me for a while"?

Got something you want to talk about? Spit it out!