Asnes MR 48 Bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Asnes MR 48 Bindings

Post by Danylewich » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi folks,

I have a new pair of Asnes Mountain Race 48 waxable skis arriving and need to decide on a binding. Side note for Canadians: mail order from Norseman in Calgary, all done by email, excellent service, shipping $40 to Toronto.

On the bindings: it is either NNN-BC Manual or Rottefella NNN Xcelerator 2's. I see lots of people using the NNN-BC with MR48 on this forum and I have read Dan's review from AltaBackcountry and he used NNN.

I am leaning to just the NNN and wondering if anybody has experience with this combo?

My use for these skis will be probably predominantly trails in SE Ontario, Gatineaus, Montreal, Quebec City area. But occasional off trail from starting tracks. My current skis are Asnes Borge Ousland and Asnes FT 62 2nd gen, both with NNN-BC/Alpina Alaskas and really cover my BC XC and xcD needs.

So for the MR48 I am leaning to just NNN and using Madshus combi classic boots that I already have. Only benefit I see to NNN-BC is just going down to one boot, the Alaska. But I do like the idea of having a very light versatile NNN set-up still for track use mostly.

Anybody used the MR48 with NNN and opinions?

Thanks, David

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Asnes MR 48 Bindings

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 pm

I'm about to blow. your. mind.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4554

I have NIS AUTO on mine instead of the Xcelerator

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:47 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:45 pm
I'm about to blow. your. mind.

https://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4554

I have NIS AUTO on mine instead of the Xcelerator
Ooops, see I missed a whole thread on this only two weeks ago, sorry for repeat! Good steer, thank you.

I have the waxable version, but I think maybe for adjustment using X-skin per Lars, I will go with NIS plate and will go for the NNN Xcelerator that I have on hand and my current Madshus boots that I like.

I like the idea of going to a one boot set-up with Alaska, but I think the versatility of having the MR48's as a very light ski track/mild BC set-up will work best for me.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:24 pm

Danylewich wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:47 pm

Ooops, see I missed a whole thread on this only two weeks ago, sorry for repeat! Good steer, thank you.

I have the waxable version, but I think maybe for adjustment using X-skin per Lars, I will go with NIS plate and will go for the NNN Xcelerator that I have on hand and my current Madshus boots that I like.

I like the idea of going to a one boot set-up with Alaska, but I think the versatility of having the MR48's as a very light ski track/mild BC set-up will work best for me.
Oh no worries dude, my pleasure

I agree, I think it's a good setup. My NIS plate only has 3 positions, I haven't played with it yet but I'm glad I have it on this ski. It's really light and feels good on the feet, like a light track ski. I'm happy with it and will use it mostly in track at places where there are opportunities to get on forest roads or ungroomed trails. For my application, BC would be overkill.