A trip down memory lane

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: A trip down memory lane

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm

12gaugesage wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:09 pm
I would snap those XCDs right up if I saw those, they look like they would run just fine to me.
Which ones, the old white ones or the ones on the right?

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:50 pm

One thing I miss that the old XCDs had was the right angle that formed where the top sheet meets the sidewall. It's great for scraping snow off your wax pocket by passing one ski over the other.

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:24 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm
12gaugesage wrote:
I would snap those XCDs right up if I saw those, they look like they would run just fine to me.
Far right. Are those what became the Annum?
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

12gaugesage
Ski style: Ugly but fast
Favorite Skis: The next ones
Favorite boots: The ones on my feet

Post by 12gaugesage » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:33 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:50 pm
One thing I miss that the old XCDs had was the right angle that formed where the top sheet meets the sidewall. It's great for scraping snow off your wax pocket by passing one ski over the other.
I often try to clear clumped snow in this manner with mixed results.. Smacking them on a tree works sometimes too. Ive gotten good at balancing on one foot with one ski/foot lightly resting above my knee while I clean the base.
Anything to avoid removing a ski...
Nordic by nature
Shut up hippie

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:34 pm

Love those Epoke 900's! Also have a pair of Epoke 1000's which remind me of E99's, but are lighter. The 1000's bindings were upgraded to Rotte ST's so I can use a good pair of leather boots. Wonderful skiing on trails with those 1000's.
Was it...Ned Gillette that skied 70 days across Ellesmere Island using Epoke 900s? I think so. Tough guy, tough skis.
Last edited by fgd135 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:02 pm

I just mounted some hard wire toepieces directly to the ski so now I can see what they can do with a decent boot. I was surprised that the spacing of the two bottom holes in the old xc binding is the same as for 3pin tele bindings. I only had to drill one new hole.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:54 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:07 pm
Sweet, I love old skis. There's been a pair of Bonna's like those in a consignment shop around here that I always fondle when I go in. Always wanted to try a set of wood ski's. How do they ski overall? Would they feel slow/heavy in a groomed XC context?
12 guage- if those bonnas are in decent shape and sized to fit,along with good camber, snatch them up. Wood skis are great. Much better kick wax retention than anything plastic. As far as groomed trails,I seldom use mine in classic tracks as I use three pin boots and bindings which are sometimes a little wide for a set classic track,but if you use a system boot and binding they should be fine. I have a garage full of plastic skis,but when I have fresh ungroomed snow I usually reach for my old woodies. Have a look at Greg's site woodenskis.com. if you are thinking wood.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:02 am

12gaugesage wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:24 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:38 pm
12gaugesage wrote:
Far right. Are those what became the Annum?
They were the thinnest of the three. I thought the Eon but you might be right. The older white ones on the left are the good ones.

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:11 am

Lowangle al- love this thread. Seems like every other post on this site is which ski should I buy! I recall when I was a bit of a gearhead myself and wanted the latest and greatest, but now I am just an old barkeater and realize it is all just sliding on snow. Got an old pair of those karhu waxable xcd's like yours that I don't use much anymore, but I probably have more miles on those than any other in my quiver. And they are my second pair. The first had bubbles on the bases ( guess the iron may have been too hot - note to self, not too many IPAs while waxing). I recall reading John Mortons book on nordic ski racing, when he referred to epokes as slowpokes.Anyway nice photo of some classic skis.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:37 pm

I sometimes take some 10th Mtns around the house..but they were not new to me. I missed this era...went straight from classic skinnies to alpine skis mounted tele in the late 80's and have since been going back and toying with some of the older skis..10th mtns, 99's. IMO leather boots still have a place in the quiver but not the older skis...unless one is looking to clock a shitton of miles and survive some descents, in which case the old long stiff metal-edged skinnies may still be the weapon of choice.