Replacing Madshus Epochs

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Replacing Madshus Epochs

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:46 pm

snow-mark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:23 pm
snow-mark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:14 pm

Will do. I’m curious, what bindings are you running on the Ingstads? 3pin or NNN-BC?
NNNBC.
Hmmm….very interesting. Boots?
Alaska BC
Svartisen BC
Guard BC
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:09 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:46 pm
snow-mark wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:44 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:23 pm

NNNBC.
Hmmm….very interesting. Boots?
Alaska BC
Svartisen BC
Guard BC
Holy moly! That’s a lot of choices. While I ordered the Rottefella 3pin for the Ingstads, I’m still considering options (I’d have to install the binding one way or the other, so I have time). I’m OK with my current 3pin/75mm boots, but what seems to be going on is that I want to try something different. I’ve seen more people lately on BC skis with NNNBC and it has me wondering. Seems like it could be a good match for this ski, since it’s more about the tour than the turns.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:35 am

My personal limited perspective-experience-

I prefer NNNBC over plain-jane 3pin (NOT to suggest that I don't like or that there is anything wrong with 3pin- I just prefer NNNBC- both the binding performance and most of the current BC vs 3pin boots).

At this point, I wouldn't mount a 3pin binding unless it had a cable option- which to me is the only real performance advantage of a 3pin system over NNNBC.

The Alaska/Guard/Svartisen are all quite different boots- I use them all, but I use the Alaska BC the most by far.

I also have a Lundhags Guide BC- with a removable liner- I doubt that I will use it on the Ingstad.

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:35 am
My personal limited perspective-experience-

I prefer NNNBC over plain-jane 3pin (NOT to suggest that I don't like or that there is anything wrong with 3pin- I just prefer NNNBC- both the binding performance and most of the current BC vs 3pin boots).

At this point, I wouldn't mount a 3pin binding unless it had a cable option- which to me is the only real performance advantage of a 3pin system over NNNBC.

The Alaska/Guard/Svartisen are all quite different boots- I use them all, but I use the Alaska BC the most by far.

I also have a Lundhags Guide BC- with a removable liner- I doubt that I will use it on the Ingstad.
Thanks for the input. You’ve clearly tried a lot of boot/binding/ski combos so your input is very helpful. I ended up ordering the Alaska BC and a binding. I also have a Rotte Super Tele Cable on the way. My plan is to try the NNN-BC on the Ingstad first. I’ve never tried NNN for BC use, only on set tracks on flat or rolling terrain. If I like it, great, and then I’ll probably switch my Glittertinds to NNNBC. I’ll keep 3pin cable on my Epochs no matter what.

I went out the Epochs this weekend and was reminded how horrible they are for kick and glide. They are fine for breaking trail in deep snow and they turn nicely. I’m looking forward to the Ingstad!

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:15 pm

snow-mark wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm
I went out the Epochs this weekend and was reminded how horrible they are for kick and glide. They are fine for breaking trail in deep snow and they turn nicely. I’m looking forward to the Ingstad!
Will be interested in your persective on the XC performance of the Ingstad vs Epoch.
The Ingstad is definitely a more efficient XC ski than the Epoch in deep snow-
but the glide zone of the Ingstad is so much shorter than the Epoch (due to rocker) on consolidated snow-
however, the Ingstad definitely tracks straighter...
Will be interested in what you think!

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Mon Dec 05, 2022 11:11 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:15 pm
snow-mark wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:53 pm
Will be interested in your persective on the XC performance of the Ingstad vs Epoch.
The Ingstad is definitely a more efficient XC ski than the Epoch in deep snow-
but the glide zone of the Ingstad is so much shorter than the Epoch (due to rocker) on consolidated snow-
however, the Ingstad definitely tracks straighter...
Will be interested in what you think!
Maybe my Epochs are too short for me (185s) because it feels like they’re is virtually no glide zone. They’re pretty dead. I use them when my outing is all up followed by all down, deep snow, or warm snow (fish scales over my wax skis). But compared to my 200 cm Glittertinds, they feel like biking with two flat tires!

If there’s no recent snow, I expect I’ll still take my Glittertinds over the Ingstads. But we’ll see.